Retro Gaming
  • A Link Between Worlds might appeal but the handheld thing is a deal breaker for Davy iirc. It's a well designed game, it's just a shame it didn't put up a bit more resistance.

I played through Minish Cap for the first time a couple of years back and I thought that was solid too. Nothing spectacular, but a nice little adventure.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.  Yeah - handhelds.

I played GB Tetris of course and have dallied with the occasional smartphone game but it just doesn't appeal. The Switch held in the hand is pleasant enough but mine is perma-docked.  We have plenty of screens in the house so it's never an issue.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Yeah Prime Trilogy and GC TP are just ones I want to have for the collection - I have both Wii and WiiU versions of TP and the WiiU Prime Trilogy

LTTP was my intro to Zelda (and for a lot of UK folk I think, given the NES didn't get much traction thanks to the Master System) and is a VERY close second favourite to Wind Waker
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Didn't know Wii U got Prime Trilogy too. Nice.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Just as an eshop download IIRC
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ah right. It's a nice thing on Wii. Benefits from widescreen. The art on the case itself is nice. Mine has the sleeve cover but seems to be missing an artwork insert.  :/
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
  • I mean it looks nice but how much is it again?
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I've just picked up two Bang and Olufsen CRTs for my games room for free. One 28" 4:3 and one 16:9 32"

The guy was an enthusiast so when I turned up he had a garage full of B&O stuff and told me I could have the 32" for free too if it was going to go to a good home!

My wife is going to go nuts
  • B&O is at least designer stuff. Might be worth a thing especially if the hw still works.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Apprecite most CRTs are landfill fodder for most people now but its becoming increasingly difficult to find decent affordable 4:3 sets.

Like you say hunk the B&O ones still look lovely and their slimline tubes aren't huge. They still weigh a tonne though!

This is the 4:3
    https://images.app.goo.gl/xtHoHfPhns4vYb7A8

This is the 16:9 one, the one I got is in black though (came with stand too) :
    https://images.app.goo.gl/4HTndLBztssrsk2o7
  • Awesome stuff, good hi end tellies for the time.
    These should handle scart rgb no problem?

Because it's hi end designer stuff they should keep some of their value too. If I recall Loewe had some excellent models as well.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye - 4:3 CRTs are getting hard to obtain. Nice find @Eric.  The 4:3 one looks spectacular.

Are they 100Hz ? The high end ones can be. That messes up light gun gaming.

I hesitated over a very nice B&O couple of years ago - £80 he was looking but in retrospect that was decent. Went quickly though.

What connections does it support?

Aye. Space. Wives etc.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    I mean it looks nice but how much is it again?

Oh I know - no real interest myself. A nice HDMI 2600 like the Retro '77 would be my choice nowadays.  But at least it's becoming a reality. I like the redux of the classic joystick.
  • “Controllers sold separately” - so no controller in the box, at all? Harsh.
  • They both suport RGB scart, big one has 3 scarts and s video small 4:3 has two scarts and 1 s-video. Big one is 100 hz which as davy says won't play nicely with light gun games but the small one does 50hz (not tested 60hz yet) but apparently works fine.

Think the MX series is the sweet spot for retro gaming with the MX7000 being the best (last 4:3 entry) .

My wife is currently furious as I can't lift the big one up the stairs on my own so it's currently sat in the hall. Thing is with lockdown, likelyhood is that it's going to be there for a while.
  • I assume B&O stuff supports PAL50/NTSC60Hz no problem. You should be fine.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was wondering if they had component and VGA for some PS2 and Dreamcast antics.

I'd be astounded if the 4:3 B&O doesn't support NTSC and PAL60.
  • You'd like to think so but they're pretty old. Will update when I get to test them.

Problem is that neither came with the remote which you need to do anything with it! Just had to get one for £35!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh...Aye the old B&Os aren't known for having a lot of buttons on show.....

Even with the age I'd bet you are covered.

There is an outside chance they are PAL only as some DVD buffs prefer PAL...and the TVs were probably designed with watching films in mind. But I'd still bet they are international models.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Where's the GBA list @Moot? Was looking forward to that all weekend!
  • Oops, sorry. Will fish the box out this evening.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    No worries, just curious what's in there!
  • I forgot again, but even better than bothering to find the shoebox, I found this:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    My lovely GBA collection, pretty much the only system I've ever really been a proper collector of (boxes and manuals in the loft before anyone panics):

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/571/img2012062101157.jpg/img2012062101157.jpg[/URL]

Column by column from left to right: Super Puzzle Fighter, F-Zero, Mario 3/Mario Advance 4, Scurge, Racing Gears, Shining Force, Gradius Galaxies, Denki Blocks, Contra Advance, Hajime No Ippo, Advance Wars 2, Spiderman Mysterio's Menace, Castlevania Doublepack, Baseball Advance, Finding nemo, Mario World/Mario Advance 2, Guardian heroes Advance, Namco Museum, Yoshi's Island/Mario Advance 3, Medal of Honour Infiltrator, Metroid Fusion, Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Bad Dream, Kuru Kururin Paradise, Kuru Kuru Kururin (these two are genuinely up there with the best handhelf games ever imo), Klonoa, Advance Wars, Sega Arcade Pack, Golden Sun, Riviera, Zelda LTTP, Tactics Ogre, V rally 3, Mario Vs Donkey Kong, Road Rash Jailbreak, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ninja Cop, James Pond II: Robocod, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Astro Boy :heart:, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, Final Fantasy Tactics, Donkey Kong Country 3, Sonic Advance 3, Splinter Cell, Moto Racer, Iridion 2, Columns Crown, Kirby's Dreamland, Klonoa 2, Game & Watch Gallery, Super Ghouls n Ghosts, Donkey Kong Country 2, Sonic Advance 2 (brilliant Sonic game), Go Go Beckham, Phalanx, Wade Hixton's Counterpunch, Polarium Advance, Super Monkey Ball Jr, Zelda Minish Cap, Rayman 3, Warioland 4, Capcom Classics, Super Bust a Move, Metal Slug, Donkey Kong Country, Wario Ware, Rayman 3, House of the Dead Pinball, Tony Hawks 2, Wario Ware Twisted, Drill Dozer.  Double Dragon, Sonic Advance, Chu Chu Rocket, Lady Sia, Mario Kart, Konami Racers, Mr. Driller, Broken Sword and Final Fight have been lent out and not yet returned.

I think I'm ready to start collecting again, so other than Fire Emblem, Metroid Zero Mission, Final Fantasy VI, Guru Logi Champ (and a few sequels to games mentioned), can anyone think of any decent games I'm missing?  I'm not bothered with rare stuff, just games that would be good to play.

Pic link is long dead but that's the lot afaik.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some quality there. The Kururin games are genuine gold. I've only played the Gamecube version that was a followup to the GBA ones.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Which ones are boxed and JP Moot? Can't get the pic link to open!
  • Pretty much none are boxed I'm afraid. The boxes were in the loft when we had a family of rats in there. Rentokill said it couldn't possibly be rats and it was definitely squirrels. 'I know from the smell', said guy no.1. Spoiler: it was rats though. Rats are long gone but the damage was done to a lot of my precious things up there, chiefly all the games mags I've bought ever. My Diehard Gamefans and Maximums have been nibbled and piddled on. I doubt anyone would fancy taking the chance on 'possibly not previously soaked cases', so it's just carts in cart holders.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @Moot_Geeza

I'd be interested in the 2 Kururin games, Columns Crown and Game & Watch Gallery.

I've no idea of pricing mind. I'm happy to check ebay average sold listings if you are willing to sell.
  • Kururin Paradise is one of two I'm planning to keep hold of, sorry - Hajime no Ippo is the other (and possibly Warioware Twisted).  Happy to do you a good deal on the rest if you don't mind checking the going rates.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.....thought you might be keeping those.

:)

Will check Columns Crown and G&W Gallery.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!