adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Interesting that they're able to do a CD drive for only a very moderate cost increase on the Mega Sg. I thought maybe they'd avoid CD but I wonder what else they will do now. PlayStation seems an easy bet once they can fit it on an FGPA chip, although they'll have to reverse engineer the BIOS.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My modified US 2600 is waiting for me at the repair shop. Colour me excited. I got it modded for composite a few years ago but was getting b&w. There's a pot on the motherboard to adjust. I tried it but couldn't get colour. But my new CRT works with it.

Lovely clear picture but interference between sound and picture as the mod kit came with super skinny wires and they were wrapped around each other. I handed it in to a repair shop to untangle all that and shield the wires.

Have my Harmony cart loaded with every ROM ever. Will be picking it up later so fingers crossed.  :)   It has a broken diff switch for player 2. Will need to source one of those and get it replaced but I can change its setting with a pen or similar in the meantime and it's as if there will be a lot of 2 player with it anyhow sadly :(
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Got it back. It's working fine but there's still some banding on the screen. Enough to be offputting :(    There is a pot I can twiddle with inside so I might check that out.

It's the sort of thing one has to expect with old hardware unless you are going to go under the bonnet yourself and start replacing resistors and capacitors.  I could make this a project machine and learn some basic soldering skills.

I'm considering getting the Retron 77 which may be a better buy in the long run. They aren't cheap but probably would have covered the cost of the fucking about I have done with this thing.  Might just be better getting some USB adaptors for my 2600 controllers and running them through Stella but where's the craic in that?

In other news Nights for JP-PS2 has arrived. Very nice. It's basically the same as the Steam version (which at £5 is a hell of a lot cheaper) but this feels better -could be the PS2 stick being better than the fake 360 wired pad I use with the PC.

Twinbee Deluxe Pack for the JP-Saturn arrived on Friday too. Gorgeous game.

No more fucking game buying this year unless I get a family game for the Switch.
  • How about a modded 7800?

Would have the benefit on the 7800 library with b/c for 2600, controller ports on the front is also more convenient.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. I have a PAL 7800 but I'd like an NTSC one modded. Expensive proposition too. I have a PAL woody too and I can play PAL60 games with that. Just would have been nice to play original US games.  The PAL woody has started to play up a bit too - I always got a really nice picture with it even with RF.

I only got the US one modded because the CRT's tuner wouldn't pick it up that way.

I need my head examined really.  This US unit has been a saga to say the least - on and off for years. :)
  • Would selling them all cover the cost of a modded NTSC 7800?

Sounds like the ultimate Atari console of that era to me, and would cover all your needs. Guess you've got a bit of sentimental attachment to the original VCS though?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - the old woody. Sadly I sold off my actual 1982 console. Like a dick when I was about 20 and spent the money on drink.

I get a bit upset thinking about that as it's all tied up with memories of my father, an uncle and a cousin - all of whom are gone now.  That little machine lit the IT spark in me too and it's how I earn a crust now. 2600 Asteroids is all part of that too.

That's why I recently bought a CIB copy of it. Not to play (have the ROM) - just to have. 

I don't think the consoles go for that much any more to be honest and I wouldn't sell the small CIB collection I have.

The 7800 does have a superb version of Asteroids - it's the only reason I hold onto to it. It's game catalogue isn't really all that special.

The main reason I like the 2600 is for paddle games - Super Breakout, Warlords and Kaboom! are still very much in my list of favorite games ever and unless I can get a way of playing those with a paddle then I'll hold into the hardware.

A Retron 77 would be cheaper than a modded 7800.

I need to put it all aside and think about what I really want.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Timehop reminding me 5 years ago I began the Marie Kondoing of my game collection. Think I got rid of over 300 games in that first purge, including over 100 N64 games. Unsure whether I am glad or sad about the pare back.

T5ge8IU.jpg
  • My instant reaction is ‘how the fuck does a person end up with that many (non-pirated) games?’ But then I remembered what my record and CD collections used to be like.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    When I was in full collecting flow, N64 games were dirt cheap and I was a single man so my weekends were spent scouring ebay. Could also rely on the omni car boot sale for an easy haul. Nowadays it's a shit show.
  • Like I said, I gave my head a wobble.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My pan-console collection was north of 800 at one time. Hovers around the 500 mark now.

Most were bought at the time of release or during generation transitions or a console's death throes when I vultured (Dreamcast and Saturn for example). The rest were late 90s - early 00s imports before prices went insane.

I curate now. I'll upgrade to a game with better packaging. I moved all my GC platinum games to original releases. PAL Saturn games from old card cases to the later DVD style cases for example.

Moving from PAL to NTSC - done that with n64 for example, and will maybe do that with SNES to SFC.

Also got rid of games I knew I'd never play - instead of trying to cover all genres I now just cover what I'll actually play.
  • My peak was probably around the 800-1000 mark, I started offloading about 2006.

I'm probably around 200 physical now, all my Switch and 3DS purchases are digital and about 80% of my PS3 and PS4 collection to.

Latest sell off was my PAL N64 console and collection. Replaced it with an RGB modded NTSC console plus a RAD2X HDMI adapter with a Everdrive 7X.

That set me back just over £200, but I made hundreds overall and saved a ton of space.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    PAL N64 in particular is off the scale - e.g you won't get a complete Paper Mario for less than £250. Bonkers.
  • Yep, I think I sold at the right time.

NES collecting has dropped in price overall for example, obviously some are still expensive but overall retro console prices seem to peak and drop back down a little.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    We are at 700 now which is a massive reduction
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gratuitous collection pic. I have everything in this corner now.

fS5UfG4.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My PS2 and PAL Saturn games could be pruned a bit. And the Wii library is bloated but it's pretty close to being more or less as I like it.

I could probably ditch the PS1 games and not miss them though there's the odd gem in there like Kurushi. I'd like to have more Megadrive games but the ones I want are getting stupid price wise.
  • Lovely work davy!

Other than my Dreamcast collection mine is totally uncurated and consists of numerous bulk buys that I shelve and forget about. I dread to think how many I have and could do with a purge to be honest. I've still not got round to shift 4 x AV receivers that are sat gathering dust under my bed.

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Unfortunately due to household space, my collections are all over the place. Some in second bedroom, some in boxes in attic, some in boxes under bed, some in living room
  • @davyK that's probably the biggest Wii collection I've seen.

Odd console in many ways, it's reputation for shovelware is understandable but it's got some real gems.

Just today I was searching for Silent Hill after it was mentioned on a podcast I was listening to.

Still so many games on it I never got around to buying and would love to try.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    May I compete with my Wii collection

iKpXlXE.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My Wii collection was trimmed slightly a few years ago. During lockdown I've started going through it playing them and so far what I've  played I'd keep...but there's some there I don't know why I'm keeping them - collectivitis I imagine. I mean I doubt I'll ever play Conduit 1&2, never mind complete them but I like the control scheme on Wii as I can't manage twin stick 3D games.

I've got Metroid Prime Trilogy too - abandoned that so many times. I used to have Prime and Prime 2 for Gamecube as well - unplayed.

Have a set of 4 boxes for Let's Tap that are out of the picture.....

The big space saving was getting rid of the Guitar Hero and DJ Hero games - had several of those with 2 guitar and 2 DJ controllers. Space was a major issue.

The wii games I'd offload are probably worthless too - so I'm keeping them on point of principle as I wouldn't give them to some reseller for pennies. Have a batch of Just Dance games the girls played too - they aren't in the picture either.

The Wii is by far the most played ever in my house - it was there at just the right time for my daughters who got into game playing age at the tail end of Gamecube. so MK Wii, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Party, Lego Star Wars, Animal Crossing, Tetris Party, Kororinpa, New SMB Wii - all got hundreds of hours...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @regmcfly's Wii U collection will be growing in value I'd venture.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @davyK that's probably the biggest Wii collection I've seen. Odd console in many ways, it's reputation for shovelware is understandable but it's got some real gems. Just today I was searching for Silent Hill after it was mentioned on a podcast I was listening to. Still so many games on it I never got around to buying and would love to try.

Quite misunderstood as a console. It was dismissed as host to mini game waggle and while there was a lot of that there was a lot of it that wasn't. In terms of mini game waggle, Nintendo's own titles in that genre were really quite good and still are. 

One example is Wii Party - a late release that in all liklihood was overlooked that feels like a assortment of ideas that didn't quite make it as a main game but are put together into a package with Nintendo polish. There's some fun ideas on that disc that we really won't see again as they used things like the wiimotes' speaker for setting up a game of hunt the animal for the kids with the wiimotes making noises every so often for them to be tracked down. There's throwaway stuff like that right up to some nice little tactical games wrapped around the usual minigame fare. Is still a regular Christmas Day thing in our house.

The motionplus upgrade to Wii Play (called Wii Play Motion) has an assortment of games that benefit quite a bit from increased fidelity and I'm betting hardly anyone played it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    @regmcfly's Wii U collection will be growing in value I'd venture.

Not so much. Only a few areas. Rodea and Project Zero are the main ones. I have all the big box versions of the first party titles and the Hordle Warriors Scarf continues to dominate. Outside of that not really.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You have some big box Wii games too I see? I meant to pick some of those up - Pandora's Tower et al as I reckoned they would be collectable - but just left it in the end - I was really running out of space.

This has me wondering what Wii games are of value? It will probably be some time before they go that way since it was such a success.

My daughters have a reasonable DS collection and I got them little cart pouches and made sure to take the boxes and manuals off them and put them in storage when they were young. They have some crackers - the real cream of the library - because I bought them games every Christmas for it. Not sure what they are worth now.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    May I compete with my Wii collection

iKpXlXE.jpg

Another impressive collection for sure.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • My modest Wii and very modest Wii U collections.

RJoPJva.jpg

Both were much bigger once upon a time, especially the Wii U. I have since fallen in love with the Switch and have got everything re-released on that and sold the older versions.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I love that true fans have Ghost Squad.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!