Retro Gaming
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A nice picture of the game will appear in the above post once my hosting company takes its finger out of its arse and applies the ssl certificate I paid for last week!!!

Fuck you page turn.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Davy - my remote should arrive this week, hope it is ok if I seek your advice once it arrives?

Of course!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If we can't get it sorted via posts and PMS we can always do a zoom call.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You are an amazing human xox
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. No probs.

Do you have anything like a FreeView box you could test with the TV? I used to have a cheap one of those and its menu let you pick PAL and NTSC output - I used to use that to test CRTs... Not sure what I did with it.

Another way to generate an NTSC signal is to boot up a PAL Ps2 with a game that has a 60Hz mode. It's a little known fact that the PAL PS2 goes into NTSC when you play a PAL game at 60Hz.

GC and DC games with 60Hz modes are PAL60 but not the PS2. I'm sure GC and DC in 60Hz will work fine (with RGB SCART) on your TV. 

I presume there is a SCART connector on it. Are there 1 or 2?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I can try firing up the ps2!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You will need an RGB SCART cable for the PS2 remember.
  • Unless your watching a DVD, then it's all green :-D
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)
  • Haven't read it yet, but there's a 14 page Monkey Island article in Retro Gamer this month.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hadn't read RG in an age.Bought it on the way home from Edinburgh last month. There is still too much filler in it for me. We still don't have a really good retro magazine.Doubt we ever will.
  • True, I used to subscribe but I get it free at work now.  I've got a soft spot for it but there's rarely more than 15-20mins of worthwhile reading it it imo.
  • I quite like their reviews of new retro inspired releases though, they're pretty good at evaluating those quite specific experiences.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - that bit is good. They covered Mr Driller Drill Land and the Darius Collections in the issue I read. Their opinions aligned with mine on that which is pleasing.

I have Mr Driller Drill Land by the way; the original that is. I can't recommend it enough if you want some drill time on the Switch. Its Tower of Druaga mode will benefit a bit from the English translation too.

It had a piece on CRTs too but it didn't go into enough detail.

When they do go into detail they do it quite well (and with more accuracy than in the old days when it was a new publication). They covered the MD port of Space Harrier well for example.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Latest acquisition. 

FPqKQjr.jpg
  • Great package. PAL version was probably the best free gift I've ever seen on a videogame mag alongside Panzer Dragoon Saga disk 1. And a couple of the early 90s Sega VHS coming soon reels.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have the PAL version - picked it up pre-owned in a game shop many moons ago. I'll probably sell it and the complete PAL version of the full game now as I have the big box US version that came with the 3D controller. The NTSC version doesn't appear to be region locked as it runs on the JP console just fine.

I think they released this to try and boost sales of the full game - I presume they had high hopes for it but it collided with Mario 64 and Tomb Raider.

I happen to think it has aged pretty well though its appeal is more niche as its essentially an on-rails score collecting/score attack game.
  • How was the remake on PS3/360 received? I remember reading it was a bit off for want of a better term.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No idea. I didn't even know they existed. I have the PS2 remake wending its way to me from Japan.

Anyone who spends enough time and gets big score runs would in all likelihood be pretty sensitive to any differences.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Cross Post from the ask thread

regmcfly wrote:
    So I posted this in the retro thread and will follow up there, but for my birthday, following having to get rid of the big old 32 inch CRT, my sister scoured a nice 14 inch 50/60 hz one for my retro gaming

qFrJrtY.jpg

It had no remote, which I have since replaced and works fine.

However I am still getting b&w with whatever I try, or no picture at all (sound is always fine).

Heres RF cable

xP5rKFZ.jpg

AV (yellow white red) is crisper but still b&w

8trhxVT.jpg

and an RGB start cable only plays the music and gives me a black screen.

Any help?

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Has the remote arrived yet?

If you are not getting a picture with SCART and the N64 isn't RGB modded then I suspect you are getting s-video and your TV doesn't work with it. :(

EDIT: see the remote has arrived. If you can see if there is an s-video option in the setup that might work but to be honest I don't think it's going to work - at least with the N64. I had a CRT that would only work with RGB SCART - and yours might be the same - and to get that with an N64 you need it modified.

Did you try it with the PS2 and SCART cable?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    If i get bad news on this being the TV fault I'm gonna be heartbroken and probably can't tell my sister who put hours of work in....
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Has the remote arrived yet?

Yep, mentioned in the post, and was how I got the RF / tuning pic in.
  • How was the remake on PS3/360 received? I remember reading it was a bit off for want of a better term.

Off is a good enough way to describe it. The camera was inexplicably zoomed in, which made it far less playable, and it lacked intricacies like evolving chiptunes, A-life etc (iirc).
  • Hey Reg are you saying everything you put through it, whether PAL or NTSC outputs in black and white?

Have you tried connecting an old dvd player ie not a console?

Have you tried using a scart dongle on your composite cable?

I know this is obvious but have you tried messing with the colour /contrast settings.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Composite cable is only scart connection, tglhere are no actual ports. I could try my UK mega drive and will give it a go. The colour/contrast settings idea has made me slap my head in stupidity.
  • Fingers crossed it's that simple. If not the composite /RF cable from your Megadrive will hopefully diagnose whether it's your TV or your signal.
  • Wow that is a bit niche. What is game availability /cost like on the TurboGrafx?
  • I think it's quite an expensive machine to collect for tbh.

From what I've read the OG hardware isn't that great. Most models are RF only and the all in one Hu/CD model has a high failure rate.

I imagine this is a dream come true for PCE enthusiasts/collectors.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!