Retro Gaming
  • davyK wrote:
    A stock action replay will make an unmodded console region free. Maybe the region free mod isn't working properly?  How is the region change done on the console? Is it one those newer switchless ones?

It's a newer switchless one, yeah. That actually makes sense. I had it repaired last year and I now remember the guy who fixed it saying it won't even run PAL games if something is wrong with the connections. Didn't even think that something could be wrong with those as it was repaired so recently. 

Happy it's not the laser but still sucks, drove like 300 miles to get it fixed last time as I asked a guy on Facebook that seemed knowledgeable if he could fix it and also make my PS1, PS2 and Dreamcast region free. Only cost 110€ which seemed very reasonable when you add the mod chips and PS2 being the harder to mod 9000 series console.
  • Did some additional testing and now everything works again normally even without the Action Replay. Great but back to weird. :D
  • Shining the Holy Ark was excellent. Not sure why I never clicked with Shining in the Darkness, I tried once or twice.
  • Eric wrote:
    Yeah it looks like the Kallax. I use it in my set up too.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/cat/kallax-series-27534/

They have made separators too now so you can split the voids in two to save a bit of space.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/kallax-insert-with-1-shelf-white-20423720/

So those shelf dividers are only available in white :-(
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Ah, that's a bit shit
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I thought you could get glass ones?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • You can but even those only have white side panels.

You can get black ones at etsy.com for a whopping £27 which is 3x the price of the white ones direct from ikea.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Enjoyed this:

Great channel tbh
  • Wow that's some dedication!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. Pipemania for the 464 even came in a nice box. Had that version. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a Metal Jesus video of a pickup he made consisting of a huge haul of big box PC games. Pity about collecting them though is you can't really play them using the media they came on.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Can someone help before I start down the rabbit hole here?

I've still been trying to replace my big old crt that I used for retro gaming with a small one. My sister has kindly bought 2 now for me as birthday presents. I thought this one with a 60hz mode would work but N64 isn't coming up properly (b&w)

qFrJrtY.jpg

I don't have a remote for it which may be a problem, but can this even theoretically run my n64? I haven't tried rf yet if that's a factor.

Thanks!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What is your connection method? 
    Composite, s-video or is it modded for RGB?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It was s video. I bought what I thought was an RGB connection but unsure if I need to mod the n64 too.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I want to hook up my av modded famicom to it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    An unmodifed N64 will have s-video. A mod is needed for RGB.

If the SCART input doesn't support s-video , it may turn black and white. I had a TV that had an s-video switch beside the SCART port. I noticed that I had to use that when using an s-video source.

If there is more than 1 SCART input it might be worth trying the different ones. 

If you don't have a remote see if there is a panel that is hiding extra controls. Quite often you will find a menu or select button behind a panel which will allow you to access anything the remote can do.

Your cable's wiring may be the issue too though. Are you sure it isn't just composite? Just because it is SCART doesn't mean it's RGB. I've run into that before. 

I had a TV that worked with import consoles but only when I used an RGB SCART cable. However your TV does have a 60Hz spec on it - the one I'm talking about only said 50Hz even though it did work with imports albeit only with RGB in the AV1 input.

s-video is damn close to being as good as RGB. There is a big jump in quality from composite and a small improvement from s-video to RGB (the colours seems a bit richer with RGB).

If the TV doesn't have a DIN style input for s-video (it's a round connector) it might not support s-video.  But s-video can work over a SCART connection too...the TV's capabilities and how your cable is wired will affect that.

I'd try it with composite cables first if you have them and see what happens. I presume your Famicom has been modded for that too?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have found this guide.

Your model is listed as "56P".  However he only has a space in the NTSC column which means it might work with NTSC.  He only puts a hyphen in the column if it doesn't work, so there is hope.

http://www.geocities.ws/mspritch/tvlist.txt

The TV I used to have was a Panasonic TX25X1/BC. That isn't on this list but the TX25X1 is...  that's assuming the "BC" suffix was part of the model number - it may not have been....it has a space in the NTSC column but it did support NTSC via RGB SCART....

I'll have a look at the CRTs I have now and see what this list says about them.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've been having problems playing shmups on the PS2 using a PS1 Hori stick. It works fine on the PAL phat PS2 but I was having problems using it with a slim. I have a JP and PAL slim. It seemed to work on the JP slim and not the PAL slim and then it stopped working altogether in either slim. It would work for a few seconds and then stop or generate phantom moves - but then it would just stop working.

I tried using an old extension cable I have for the PS1 and that fixes the problem. The Hori stick connector has a couple pins missing (they aren't broken - you can see it was made that way) but using the extension cable which has all pins present seems to sort it. weird.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I have found this guide.

Your model is listed as "56P".  However he only has a space in the NTSC column which means it might work with NTSC.  He only puts a hyphen in the column if doesn't work, so there is hope.

http://www.geocities.ws/mspritch/tvlist.txt

The TV I used to have was a Panasonic TX25X1/BC. That isn't on this list but the TX25X1 is...  that's assuming the "BC" suffix was part of the model number - it may not have been....it has a space in the NTSC column but it did support NTSC via RGB SCART....

I'll have a look at the CRTs I have now and see what this list says about them.

Thank you so much for the extensive help! I have ordered a remote from the Internet to see if that helps....
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You will probably be able to find a manual online - you have to pay to download it though - there are archive sites that operate that way.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have had a nibble from someone in Israel about my Nuon controller.....sent me a question about if I will send it there.  No bid yet but 17hrs to go. I have a £200 reserve on it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    4 hrs to go. 3 watching....chance of a single late bid. Eyeing up £200 Saturn games!!!!!
  • whats a Nuon controller? (goes off to image search)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nuon was a DVD player that could play games sold under licence by several companies like Samsung etc. It had Tempest 3000 on it - the only reason it's of interest to anyone.
  • interesting!
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I had a player and intended to get T3K. The player has started to fail playing films so I dumped it. T3K is now sky high in price - up to £700.

The controller is still sealed in the box. Sold listings for the controller are £200-400. It uses a proprietory connector which no doubt adds to its value.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yep. What I thought would happen, happened.

In the dying seconds of the auction the person in Israel sniped in with a £200 bid and won it.

Sold.

His ebay account doesn't look like a scalper. I searched for a Nuon group but couldn't find one. I'd have rather sold to a genuine collector but I'll take the £200. Was about to bin it before I did an ebay search.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nuon controller paid for and posted. :)

Won't count my money until it arrives safely in Israel though - many a slip etc.

In other news this arrived today... Warlords. One of my favourite videogames ever. It's essentially a battle mode game based on Breakout - works with the paddles - so  supports up to 4 and is a hoot.

The box felt a bit heavy. I opened it up and found the PAL manual which was a bit disappointing as this is the US version. However a 1981 game catalogue was in the box too - and slipped inside that was the original US game manual. :)    :)

Every thing is immaculate but of course this is for the shelf. I have a Harmony with every 2600 ROM loaded onto it. My US 2600 is off to the repair shop to get the composite mod working better (the wires need shielding to prevent the audio causing interference with the video signal - the wires are all tightly wrapped around each other. So looking forward to getting it back with a nice clean picture.

There are only a few other 2600 games I'd like to own like this - only my very favourite games are reserved for this treatment.  I'd like a copy of Combat , Yars' Revenge and Kaboom! and maybe Circus Atari, Demon Attack and Jr. Pacman ....  but that would be it. The rest can be ROM

warlords.jpg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Davy - my remote should arrive this week, hope it is ok if I seek your advice once it arrives?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!