Retro Gaming
  • Currently playing Coffee Crisis on Switch, which was originally a 2015 Megadrive game apparently.  

I was under the impression that these crowd funded new retro physical release types were usually pretty good, but this one's shite.  Would just about pass muster in 1990 as a DJ Boy alternative.  Plays like a cross between that and a Ninja Turtles era Komani effort (arcade version, which hasn't aged well), but I'm not convinced this would've ever impressed in terms of gameplay.  Might've had fun renting it for co-op.   

Still, I'll keep plugging away at it.  At least it has passwords.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I know I'm going to fall hard for Atari Vault on Steam. It's Kryptonite to me.

I mean Nintendo have wrung out old ROMs but this is a whole new level.  :)

Christ - those same old 2600 ROMs. The arcade games will be OK though I'd like to see a few that are missing like Xybots etc.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. Well - got this. Some old arcade games from the early Atari era that I never got to play are always of interest to me so for that alone they are worth it for me.

Emulation is really nice with this - they are recreating the displays rather well, particularly the raster games. As I suspected the vector game display isn't super accurate but it does look very nice. They are too smooth if anything - however it's still a really nice job of a recreation of an expensive analogue display!!

Control is always going to be a problem with some of the games of course. Atari's pioneering days used a lot of analogue (or fake analogue at least) control so modern sticks and the mouse have to stand in for trak balls and paddles. By and large, for trakball it's good though I haven't tried everything yet. Tried Avalanche which is a really early game that Kaboom is based upon. So it needs a paddle - and stick and mouse just doesn't cut it. The only modern equivalent that does is the Wii remote when held on its side and rotated which was used to great effect in the Bit.Trip games.

So I can't see Warlords being all that playable which is a shame as I think there is MP online with this. :(

Does anyone know if there is such as thing as a USB paddle controller? I'm aware of some homebrew USB adaptors for 2600 controllers which might be worth a look. I could use it with Stella too.

The 2600 emulation seems accurate which is a given - I presume it's using a build if Stella. The DLC contains 5200 emulation and it looks as if it was a real turkey of a console. 2600 Asteroids runs better than the 5200 version :(

Tried my beloved asteroids dx and gameplay-wise it's accurate though again - the display is maybe a bit too smooth (hard to actually describe the difference - the real thing is smooth too). Some of the sounds are out too (the ship thrust isn't quite right - but it sounds very good) but that's only to be expected as some of the sounds aren't digitally created in those old games and there is even variance between cabinets if there are tiny voltage differences. Of course my muscle memory is programmed for the real control layout so I won't spend too much time with it. Still enjoyable in this format though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Need to calm down.....must.spend.less.
    Latest arrival. Plays like a dream.

sWUu5RD.jpg
  • So the eon Super 64 HDMI adapter I got back in November has kicked the bucket. The picture displays ok but it's not outputting any sound.

It's definitely the adapter as I have tried it with another HDMI lead and the N64 itself is fine as it works perfectly with my S-Video cable.

I got it from The Games Connection, the FAQ on their site says they have a 12 month guarantee. I've emailed their customer support, but I'm a bit nervous what with COVID etc. Cost me £110, so it's not something I'm willing to let slide.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yikes. Hope they sort it for you...
  • Fingers crossed.

I've gone down a rabbit hole of other solutions and mods now.

The Rad2x looks promising, works for all Nintendo consoles with the multiout regardless of region.

Did you get an RGB mod for yours @davyK ? If so do you think it's worth it?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye - I bought mine pre-modded. It was £60 with no cables. I use my Gamecube official RGB cable with it and a good quality indie cable I bought that works with GC & SNES as well. I use it with a CRT and the image in some games is stunning. Was playing JP Mario 64 the other day and the volcano section of the lava stage was beautiful. If you have a CRT it's worth it. 

If you don't then you might have to consider an OSSC on top of that - it's certainly something I'm thinking of trialling out in the near future.
  • Cool, where did you get it from?

I do still have a CRT but it's in the loft.

I'm now tempted to get an RGB mod and get the Nintendo RAD2X, as it'll also work with my NTSC SNES.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I've got the RAD2x it's ace and really reasonably priced but you do need the rgb output as composite still looks shite.

I got mine modded about a month ago. Bought a kit for £20 and got my local electronics guy to solder it for a tenner. It's a relatively simple mod looking at the video.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cool, where did you get it from? I do still have a CRT but it's in the loft. I'm now tempted to get an RGB mod and get the Nintendo RAD2X, as it'll also work with my NTSC SNES.

http://www.keepitretro.co.uk/en-gb/collections/nintendo-64

It's up to £90 now though.
  • Cheers.

I've sent them an email to see if I can send them my unit to mod, as I'd rather avoid the hassle of selling a spare.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think he prefers to source his own as it's a particular model of JP console he modifies - but worth asking I guess.

I have a spare unmodded JP console now. :(  However I have an s-video cable I can use with an old projector I scavanged from disposal in work. :) Really should give that a go and see how it looks.

As an aside - nothing seems to make MK64 look good. Pretty sure that's a lost cause. Those scaling sprites are pretty ugly.
  • I've just received a code to download everything Homeworld from GoG for less than $8 so of course I have said yes.
  • Srsly

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ZIWb5Fc.jpg[/font]
  • I already own Homeworld Remastered but that's OK.
  • So someone with a bit of time on their hands had coded a working tech demo of the third stage of Sonic on the SNES!

Quite an interesting tech demo and article that also suggests that the Megadrives processor was 40-70% faster than that of the SNES. #Playgroundfacts

• Polymega hands on with 'Metal Jesus' not watched it yet but thought it would be worth a share...

• So the Polymega looks really good. Prices are ridiculous though. Amazon showing it at £500 which I'm hoping is someone chancing their luck selling US imports. Hoping it gets a uk distributor i'm probably in for the base unit at no more than £400 as it compliments what my Retron 5 can't do.

Saturn emulation, region free and fan translations will mean I dont have to worry about sorting my mkII saturn which is still playing up.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Might be cheaper to get your Saturn solid state though. That's what I'm contemplating.

Of course then you need to convert your collection to ISOs but I suspect that isn't overly difficult.

Polymega also gets you going on HDMI TVs though. Comes down to the quality of the emulation.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just watched the Saturn segment - impressive.
  • That Mode offering for the DC /Saturn looks brilliant but the cost is looking a bit exorbitant. Saw that someone on the SEGA Fb page got stung £80 on import tax ontop too which must have been difficult to swallow.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If I was starting to collect today the Polymega looks the business. Its convenience - allowing you to install games - could swing it for me.

You are relying on 3rd party support for controllers though.

On balance - a solid state drive and an OSSC are probably what I would go for at the minute. But I'll be keeping an eye on the Polymega before committing.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I like whats going on here, particularly because I had the first difficult start up with my JP Saturn a few months ago.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think I would absolutely rather the gameboy thingie first tho.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This is the start of my SNES -> SFC campaign. Cannot believe some games can still be obtained in this condition..My initial aim is to just get the big 1st party games that were all PAL optimised. So F-Zero, SMW, All Stars et al.  Most of the 3rd party games I have play fine at 60Hz as they got no treatment at all. Nintendo did work on the PAL ones so they glitch. I have a lot of those US cart only but look at this packaging...hard to resist.

Sqi6D4R.jpg
  • That's Japan for you, the second hand stores over there were full of pristine stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm playing through my PAL SNES collection to see what I think is worth keeping and what I will seek in their SFC form - funding by the selling of my discarded games or those that I will replace like for like. Looking at those that won't work glitchless at 60Hz.

First 2 games - Cool Spot and Donkey Kong Country.

Both rather solid platformers though Cool Spot has a shooting element - almost plays as a run and gun. Graphics-wise Cool Spot has aged a tad better because of the cleaner look but DKC still looks good in places. Both charming games really. Cool Spot is derivative of the time but it's well done. Plays just fine at 60Hz seemingly with no issues - played through the first 3 levels and I was enjoying myself.

DKC moans when you boot up at 60Hz. You can get around it by resetting the console at 50Hz and then flicking the switch to 60 after boot up but I'm considering it for replacement. I never played the 2 sequels which are supposed to be better. They seem to be quite affordable complete in their SFC guise. Played this to almost up to the 2nd boss and it's still an enjoyable enough game but I'd say Cool Spot is the better game.
  • Cool Spot got thumbs down all-round when we played it on a retroking retro day.  I rented it a couple of times at the time and had no memories of hating it, but it's one of those games that seems to get worse stage by stage.  Like the difficulty slider going one way moves the enjoyment slider in the opposite direction.  

DKC far better imo, it's not absolute vintage 16-bit platforming but wouldn't be far off a top ten (16-bit platformers) for me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!