Retro Gaming
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

I didn't .......clearly that is something I need to get a hold of!!!

:)

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • It's brilliant :-D
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • From the tail end of the previous page:
    Questor wrote:
    Had to post about this in here because it would be very sad if this didn't reach its goal, and also some here may find it interesting, a book charting the history of Street Fighter 2. If you haven't read any of ROM's books they are always really well researched and written.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darrenwall/like-a-hurricane/description

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye....just checked out some footage. £30-£40 on eBay.  Not bad .
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Kinda surprised that ROM book is struggling to get over the finish line as the Final Fantasy VII one did quite well and got twice its goal.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • US versions of both PS2 Contra's are significantly cheaper than PAL, just a heads up. Just bought them recently and checked that they cost 15$ (SS) and 17$ (Neo). Both were complete too.

Does anyone know if Suikoden 2's front inlay is supposed to be printed on a cardboard? It looks legit but have never seen cardboard there on PS1 games before and google didn't help.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Are there JP versions? Don't have a way of playing US PS2 games.

Just checking - Neo is going for good money too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Rediscovered Sky Odyssey for PS2 - lovely little game. It fogs a bit but otherwise a great one for those wanting a bit of Pilotwings style play.  There's even a dedicated ring mode!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Are there JP versions? Don't have a way of playing US PS2 games. Just checking - Neo is going for good money too.

OOOHHH - it's Shin Contra in Japan and it looks like it goes a lot cheaper too!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Went through the rest of my PS2 games there. Will be keeping more or less all of them. Capcom Vol.1 is getting the heave-ho as is a pinball game call Flipnic that has aged pretty badly. I also had a fruit machine game for some reason that really isn't something I'd be into. I suspect I won't get much for them on the market - maybe the Capcom compilation will.

Katamari is as bonkers as ever. Though I'm not sure I'd play it to completion as the collecting and rolling would get old with me but it's probably good to back to now and then. 50Hz but optimised. Most Ps2 PAL games either got a 60Hz option or a proper conversion so it's pleasing. I was expecting some train wrecks.

Fantavision is 50Hz only but optimised and is still very pretty looking. Not the greatest game in its genre but it's entertaining.

The Taito Legends retro compilations are still solid - the 2nd one has Darius Gaiden which really needs an auto-fire option and doesn't feel as slick as the Saturn port but it's playable all right - maybe the Saturn version is better than the arcade.  Some old ugly bugs in there (even for me) but they are good packages for someone like me.
  • If it helps davy there is a new dvd exploit for the PS2 that will let you play imports and copies without any soldering (think you just have to burn the disc).

Here it is:

https://youtu.be/M9b15v-4l6I
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice - I have a JP console - procured purely for shmups and some Sega Ages games but interesting to see in case some US games are easier to pay for.

Shin Contra is on sale with a guy I use for £18 which can't be bad. Might just got for it at that price.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Shin Contra ordered. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm going to be putting my PAL copy of Devil Dice on the Market. Bombastic on PS2 has Devil Dice mode so no real need to hold onto it.

I have a PAL copy of Cleopatra Fortune for PS1 I'll probably be selling too as it's on the Taito Legends disc. (it's only worth buttons really).

Both in really nice condition, complete with manual.

If anyone is interested PM me.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Kinda surprised that ROM book is struggling to get over the finish line as the Final Fantasy VII one did quite well and got twice its goal.

Yeah me too - I guess with SF2 being a few years older there isn't the Playstation generation nostalgia like there was for FF7
  • davyK wrote:
    Shin Contra ordered. :)

Best one of the lot! Criminally underrated imo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Does new retro stuff go in here?  Hotshots Racing still coming, still looking good.

Too long, didn't click: Handling is a bit Ridge Racer, with mentions for Virtua Racing, Scudrace, Auto Modellista and more.
  • Music doesn't seem to be doing enough blue skies poodle rock noodling for me, but it looks sweeet.

Edit: "suffers from familiarity".  Hmmmmm.
  • Down a rabbit hole now.  Member when Sega soundtracks sounded like this?

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Does new retro stuff go in here?  Hotshots Racing still coming, still looking good. Too long, didn't click: Handling is a bit Ridge Racer, with mentions for Virtua Racing, Scudrace, Auto Modellista and more.

More than welcome. Remember seeing early videos of this as I'm a fan of the Virtua Racing look. Love that Outrun 2 drifting too.

Noice.

:)
  • It's definitely on my radar, I love the look of it plus Sumo are on board so guessing and hoping it's going to be Outrun levels of goodness.

I've been hammering Retro Formula Racing Moot on IRs recommendation. It's a tenner (Xbox and PC) but I've got loads out of it. There probably aren't enough people playing it but I've made top ten in the world on some of the TT's.

It's a rip off of Virtua Racing but a very good one, the tracks are excellent especially the Monaco GP track and there is one retro tune on it that I find myself humming most days. It's a good job I like it.

Well worth a look. Downsides there's a bug on Expert mode when you crash you are invincible for about 3 seconds at which point your car is very understeery. Also have issues with the Mountain Track which is the most difficult, not being able to finish about 5th.

Banging retro chip tune at 12:18

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Played a wee bit of Outrun C2C during my plough through my PS2 collection. What a game. Stunning.

Meant to say I also ordered the JP version of Next Tetris Deluxe for Ps1 when I ordered Shin Contra. Will always pick up a Tetris game when I get the chance. Seems to have extra modes over the normal release - including a puzzle mode which seems to be an enhanced version of the original's practice mode - this gives you a pit with garbage in it that you have to clear with a fixed sequence of pieces - but there isn't much info about it - so will be checking that out too.
  • Formula Retro Racing gets the thumbs up from the vid, love a rolling start. Flat shaded is such a good look for racers. I'll probably wait for Hotshots as I still haven't played Virtua Racing properly on Switch (can scratch that formula itch if needed).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dear Lord, Shin Contra is joyous....not often I play with a stupid grin on my face.

Why don't they make these any more?

Next Tetris Deluxe is a splendid version. Next Tetris is a so-so game (have it for Dreamcast) but this revised release with extra modes fills it out as a game. If you collect Tetris game then look out for this one. :)
  • davyK wrote:
    Dear Lord, Shin Contra is joyous....not often I play with a stupid grin on my face.

Glad you like it, it really deserves a re-release so more people can discover it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • You might like Hard Corps Uprising Davy on the 360 too. The arcade mode is a bit tough for my tastes but the uprising mode makes it much more accessible. It's a bit of a looker too:

• Tried that in co-op with retroking. Enjoyed the controls/patterns etc, but it was too hard for my tastes. We would've had to really learn the stage layouts to progress further than level two.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's an extras menu - 2 items unlocked from the start. Option 1 is just a summary of playtime and other stats. Option 2 is a 30 life mode!!  :)

There's something about the pace of Contra that makes it Contra. It's breakneck - Shin/Shattered Soldier is so over the top it's impossible not to love. Jumping from a mini boss fight into that ridiculous snowboarding section made me laugh out loud. I prefer the series to Metal Slug for that reason which can feel a bit like more of a slog at times.

Contra Rebirth is great too. Love that robot camel section in it.  I preferred the old NES game to the SNES one though for some reason - as great as that is too. :) The overhead sections in that game are a mis-step though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hard Corps Uprising looks pleasing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!