Currently Playing
  • Facewon wrote:
    Being one of 22 on the pitch would be a real interesting dymnamic. Can imagine it could get frustrating. NBA2k has had it for a while, but being one of 10 and 5 a side in a much smaller area means it's far less waiting.
    It depends what position you play to some extent. I've been playing on the left of a front 3, but tend to drop back or inside sometimes to get more involved. You can also get a lot more out of pressuring the opposition players in possession when you lose the ball, rather than just waiting for your defence to win it back. Even if you get in the way of your own players occasionally, you can make things happen if you want.
  • AJ wrote:
    This sentence is pedantry, that post wasn't. I'm feeling like shit today, so I'm probably being ruder than necessary. The issue I'm taking is that you're suggesting it's something more because it's an RPG when most games released today, including previous Platinum ones, conform to the "swathe of numbers, unlockable abilities" format you seem to be suggesting that means.
    This is what I was thinking. How does RPG translate to more than all the new weapons and moves, extended life bar etc. you get in Bayonetta or some such?

I don't really care though. I thought the demo showed a lot of promise in the gameplay itself.
  • What I consider an RPG, these days, would. Dialogue choices with consequence; plenty of optional quest lines; character/team builds that play genuinely differently...

That wasn't even hinted at in the demo and didn't seem to be what Bob was suggesting, though. Who knows if the original had any of that.

As an aside, I've just realised that I probably don't consider a lot of recent games that are sold as RPGs (particularly Japanese ones, if imagine) to actually be RPGs. Seems like an overly misused term.
  • JonB wrote:
    I don't really care though. I thought the demo showed a lot of promise in the gameplay itself.

Thought I'd pick up on this because it's interesting the way different styles of play affect opinion with these games. I assume, Jon, that you get into the combat quite technically, consciously watching for tells and learning the combo sequences? I tend to play on easy, initially, and let my subconscious pick up play style without really knowing what I'm doing, then up the difficulty when I start kicking ass too much. I find the demo to be, despite the occasional nice idea, the same old Bayonetta mechanics with some half-arsed shooting bollocks tacked on that just felt like it was getting in the way and I ended up switching to auto.
  • With Bayonetta I really got into the mechanics of it to beat higher difficulty levels, earn platinum rankings and so on. So yeah, it's something I enjoy doing in certain games.

With the Nier demo though I've just played through once and it was the constant shifts in perspective and half-arsed shooting bollocks that made it seem more interesting. The basics are certainly very familiar, but when you quickly switch from 3D to side-on to overhead views, even though you're basically doing the same thing it just changes the way you're doing it and how you prioritise different targets and attacks (which is where the importance of the shooting as a long range tactic comes in, as opposed to being more like a simple combo connector as in Bayo or DMC).

I've probably not explained it well, but I think it added a new dimension (subtly) to this sort of thing and hope it's fully developed in the game.
  • Seems like a fair explanation to me. With my play style, those shifts in perspective elicited a smile, but didn't really affect anything I was doing. They were fun, but ultimately didn't provide me with anything but a different view.

Maybe if I had the time, or lacked games to play, that starting on hard made any sense, I'd feel different.
  • Postponement of UK trip and PS+ subscription running out at the end of the month means I've decided to get through some of the 'free' games I've collected over the last year.

Starting with Titan Souls and VVVVVV. Both seem quite pleasant so far.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Prediction: you will end up liking one and not the other and not in that order
  • Hmm. I really like the idea of Titan Souls, but it just depends how frustrating it gets in the execution. So far (6 killed) it's been good.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    VVVVVV is a fantastic little game.
  • In a bit of a coincidence, I've also tried both those games for the first time over the last few days. Enjoying Al the Vs so far. Struggling with Titan Souls; having not really played games that have end of level bosses for donkeys, I've struggled with these games that are just bosses (like Furi). I've only managed the first boss so far.
  • I've done 8 bosses now and already at 82 deaths. It requires patience for sure, but I really like the way you can actually kill most of them in the first 30 seconds once you've figured out what to do. No need to whittle down energy bars - just find that one perfect opportunity to deliver the killing blow (before they do the same to you).
  • I did a little compilation vid of the first 4 bosses. Makes it look easy, but what you don't see of course is the multiple deaths at the hands of each before I worked out what to do.

• Still playing Darkest Dungeon, all bosses beat. Now time for the Darkest Dungeon. This game is awesome.
  • I really need to grab that again and play it with all the updates, I really want to get to the Darkest Dungeon. Might be one of the best games this year, but I played the earlier version and burnt out on it.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I delved into DD last night for the first time. 3rd dungeon and first medium length one i came across a Collector which wrecked my shit and blocked the final room to get 90% exploration so i chose to flee. Happy enough with the loot though.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Plague doctor seems essential for corpse clearing from my amateur vantage point.
  • Currently playing The Swindle. I do like it, I really want to really like it, but god if it doesn't do my nut in sometimes. Should probably be able to complete it soon, hopefully.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Plague doctor seems essential for corpse clearing from my amateur vantage point.
    ]

Plague doctor is awesome, Slot 3, plague Grenade, Blinding gas, 2 more moves of your choice..
  • Currently playing The Swindle. I do like it, I really want to really like it, but god if it doesn't do my nut in sometimes. Should probably be able to complete it soon, hopefully.
    Enjoyed what I played but it's not as perfectly balanced as a rogue like should be imo
    The Forum Herald™
  • Got darkest dungeon on the vita, any tips?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Plague doctor is awesome, Slot 3, plague Grenade, Blinding gas, 2 more moves of your choice..

Also either experiment with the shrines and interactive objects in the levels or use a wiki, they're very helpful when you know how they work. 

Have a varied roster, and stay away from the Cove and the Warrens until you have are good. 

Careful for the bosses in every area, they have gimmicks that will tear you apart, maybe suicide to them if you can.

Don't focus on reinforcing or removing traits early days, it's better to upgrade the new recruits so your roster stays fresh, and your equipment so they are tuff. 

Don't think of it like XCOM where your #1 guy will stay with you through thick and thing - he will go insane, steal all your shit, murder people, go awol, and eventually become a totally crippled and useless wretch.
  • FH3. Fun and relaxing.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • DD tips:

Upgrade the stagecoach as a priority, its important to have a varied roster and to be able to switch between several times. Also gaining more experienced recruits will save you money

Know your dungeon, don't bring loads of bleed abilities to the crypt, don't bring loads of blight causers to the Warren. Crusaders are awesome against the undead, Occultists are great against Eldrich etc.

Sometimes taking stress will be worse than taking damage, nothing worse than starting a dungeon than relaising your vestal takes x2 stress damage in the warrens. Watch your negative quirks. Them madmen are cunts and cause loads of stress, take them out first.

Never underestimate residual damage and remember it stacks, I've had stuff taking 15 points of blight damage per turn. Stunning is also really useful, as is Riposte.

You will die.

Thanks
  • I thought you just said DD tits!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It is tits, the tits.
  • Dark dungeon full of tits. Sounds good.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Laid up with Vestibular Labyrinthitis so played on the Vita a little today. Unfortunately my internet isn't fast enough to allow PS4 remote play, so I played some of Stein's Gate. I realise it's a visual novel, but having played it for two hours I thought I might do something other than read and press x to advance the text. Seems I was wrong and the story is complete hokum.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!