Currently Playing
  • The entire Xbox 1 ecosystem runs in Hyper-V VMs natively as a bare metal Hypervisor. One VM for OS, one VM for Games, one VM for Apps and now the Xbox 360 VM. The details as to how MS got the 360 working in software are a closely guarded secret.
  • You sound pretty confident about the fact. Is there actual evidence they did it all in software?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If that's the case I am simultaneously surprised and not surprised.

Not surprised because they are architecting everything server-wise(and PC? not so sure) to run on their own hypervisor.

Surprised that a console has the power to run things that way (though if PCs do it then fair enough). Probably a stripped down version of Hyper-V as it's running on a closed system and also doesn't require various enterprise features related to pan-host migration etc.

Impressive nonetheless.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I don't think hypervisors need that much grunt, particularly if there's no contention/ scheduling to worry about cos different cores and whatnot.
  • I wish a hypervisor was what I think it is.
  • It's one of these, isn't it?

WoPE9f7.jpg
  • AJ wrote:
    You sound pretty confident about the fact. Is there actual evidence they did it all in software?

Yeh, I'll dig out some links when I'm not getting drunk.

• Cool, thanks. I'm pretty confident you'll have misread them, though; not using the GPU that's just sitting there and, presumably, backwards compatible with the previous gen instruction sets, would be madness.
  • There are alot of Google links to sites which state that a software emulator of the Xbox 360 was created by MS for the Xbox 1 so backwards compatibility would work. Details of how they dealt with the cpu instructions frm the 360 software are thin on the ground. I believe this information isn't public knowledge I could be wrong. We know that for now virtualisation of a Cpu isn't possible which is why all cpu instructions frm VMs are passed to a physical cpu.

I wonder if the 360 instructions are being re-coded on the fly for the Xbox 1 cpu?!?
  • Could be. As I said, though, I'm more concerned with the GPU; as far as I know, it shouldn't even be possible to emulate that on the One's CPU.
  • http://www.redgamingtech.com/xbox-one-the-hardware-specs-and-architecture/

Geeky breakdown of xbox 1.

I'd guess the GPU instructions of the emulated xbox 360 are passed through to the physical GPU of the Xbox1 via the Hypervisor.
  • Bastion on Vita.

Better than the iPad version but slightly spoiled as I'm offline and it keeps interrupting the game to tell me I'm not on the leaderboards because I'm off line.
    The Forum Herald™
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I hate games that do that. Like fine say it once then shut the fuck up.
  • The way Sony have implemented it on vita is fucking awful. The cunts.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Currently trying to get into Disgaea 5 and failing. The main character sounds like he's had a lobotomy and the woman is just annoying. I just finished 4 which was great, so this is a bit of a shame.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    DOOM. DOOM AM BEST.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Played a lot of Gears 4 today, up to act 3 chapter 6. It's fucking middling as fuck. Generoshootmen
  • The shooting not any fun?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I'm only on Act 2 and thought it was finally picking up.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm finding it a real slog tbh. Binary Domain did better robot shooting years ago. The end of act 1 with the
    Spoiler:
    was a real low. There's an on rails section later that seems devoid of any real need for you to do much input, and aside from the part where you get a funny Easter egg if you shoot all of
    Spoiler:
    the characters, plot and dialogue are fairly meh. It's a really solid well put together game, I'm just finding it a slog as it feels exactly the same as 1-Judgment. I enjoyed 2 most, by 3 it felt bereft of ideas and Judgment was kind of cool with some things it's done but also completely unnecessary. Feels like Uncharted 4 in that it's gone to the well so many times, and to and extent, there's others out there doing the same thing and better. It's Gears. Shrug.
  • One was good. Two was brilliant. Anything after just seemed pointless.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Pretty much that.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    OG GoW was my last 'holy shit' graffix moment in videogames. Went from PS2 to a freshly bought 360 and GoW on my new HD TV and it was a fucking revelation.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'll finish it for sure, but it's totally something I used to blast through while hungover today, as it's pretty nuts and bolts.

Decided today wasn't a day for getting in with my catbird.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    OG GoW was my last 'holy shit' graffix moment in videogames. Went from PS2 to a freshly bought 360 and GoW on my new HD TV and it was a fucking revelation.

For me it was loading up Dead Rising and being able to read the writing.
  • Started on 'the journey' in FIFA 17.  Nice idea, but it's starting to really frustrate.  Firstly, the whole thing drags on...loading to a menu, loading to a cutscene - watch cutscene, loading to another menu, loading to training screen, loading to individual training sessions - do the training, loading back to menu, loading to game eventually.
    but then actually playing is becoming frustrating.  it only seems right to play as Hunter rather than the whole team, but then you're just totally reliant on the AI...waiting around for them to win the ball back, then getting punished when they don't finish the chances you create, or don't receive a pass properly, or don't pass when you want and then you're docked marks for 'bad call for pass'.  i could drop the skill level and/or play as the whole team, but that just seems a bit wrong.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I don't know how it compares to PES, but in BAL mode there's a certain amount of adjusting your expectations if you're going to get the most out of it. Personally I really like the idea of having to make the most of occasional opportunities on the ball, because it puts some pressure on you. It's also fine that the other players will miss chances you create and so on, just because that's football. It's frustrating, sure, but in a good way. And it's not like you have to win every game and make or score all the goals.

But as I say, I don't know - FIFA may just be shite.
  • Dark Souls 2, SotFS.
    Fuck these levels: whoever designed the misty phantom forest and the cursed woods should've been fired. Shittiest level design in a Souls game ever...
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • JonB wrote:
    I don't know how it compares to PES, but in BAL mode there's a certain amount of adjusting your expectations if you're going to get the most out of it. Personally I really like the idea of having to make the most of occasional opportunities on the ball, because it puts some pressure on you. It's also fine that the other players will miss chances you create and so on, just because that's football. It's frustrating, sure, but in a good way. And it's not like you have to win every game and make or score all the goals. But as I say, I don't know - FIFA may just be shite.

Being one of 22 on the pitch would be a real interesting dymnamic. Can imagine it could get frustrating. NBA2k has had it for a while, but being one of 10 and 5 a side in a much smaller area means it's far less waiting.
    I'm still great and you still love it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!