Currently Playing
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm not a fan of water based levels and given the amount on show from the off I was less than enthusiastic first time - but I'm going to give it a go.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Skerret wrote:
    Nothing at the moment. Maybe Fez.

I'm playing this too.
  • Turns out that was from page 1.  Not sure how that happened.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mario Sunshine's quality is showing itself. There's a mite too much dicking about in the hub world for me, and there's a level with too much water in it which I remember causing me to give up first time around , but so far this is very good. And it's showing the joins between M64 and Galaxy. Lovely stuff.
  • Still need to finish a bunch of stuff on me old Wii. I need to get a converter thingy from component to HDMI/DVI though, as I can't use it with my current monitor setup right now.
  • I got one of those. Was quite expensive at £50 or do but it does the trick. I also have games left to play. Like The Last Story.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I need three more cubes on Fez and my last two sessions have been fruitless.  I thought I'd finished it (basic finish) on 360, but I don't recognise certain sections so perhaps not.  Probably one of the best games released in the last decade or so though.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Managed to resist Sonic Mania on PC thanks to Denuvo, though I did buy it on Switch - so I am playiong through that

Also continuing my quest for 120 Shrines in BOTW

Also Also, dabbling in Hyper Light Drifter and Axiom Verge, and loving both.
  • Hi, new poster. Kudos for actually playing stuff.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Was thinking of getting both axiom verge and light drifter? Worth it?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Hyper Light Drifter is certainly worth it.
  • Tnx will bolo for that one.
  • Skip Axiom for Hollow Knight.

HLD is good but I did not fall for it like so many others did. Found it kinda wonky all told.
  • I started Hollow Knight but the world is so big you can get lost very easily. I'm still at the entrance leading underground.
  • hunk wrote:
    I started Hollow Knight but the world is so big you can get lost very easily. I'm still at the entrance leading underground.

Lol, you don't even know.
  • Man he don't EVEN
  • Hmm, need to put more time into Hollow Knight.
  • All discussion on Hollow Fucking Knight should be banned until it gets it's arse in gear and arrive on the Switch FFS
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sunshine update. Only doing a shine or two per night. Have encountered a couple of abstract obstacle courses that are nice. Easy enough but I can see then becoming painful later on. Have found a level that's made up like a bagatelle table and it seems to be the first tricky test.
  • I wish I could spoil HK stuff but I'm still stuck at the entrance.
  • All discussion on Hollow Fucking Knight should be banned until it gets it's arse in gear and arrive on the Switch FFS
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hunk wrote:
    I wish I could spoil HK stuff but I'm still stuck at the entrance.

Take it to the thread or pm if you need help.
  • Will do.
    Will have another go this weekend and see how I fare.
  • I'm guiltily enjoying the campaign of Call of Duty: Kevin Spacey.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Wolfenstein: das alte Blut

It's not bad. Being a prequel set in alt WW2 opposed to alt 60s means the story is a blander than the big surprise quality one in the New Order but the simplicity in shooting rooms full of nazis with obscenely good sounding guns stays true.

Also a big shout out to some of the secrets and effort from the environment artists. Earlier I finished a shoot out in an operating auditorium which has its own quaint bar full of mock German beers, discarded helmets from soldiers on break and still smoking cigarettes. On a big projector and plastered on the walls are medical diagrams and operating guidelines to making those huge hulking uber soldaten's which is a nice world tie-in and the place is covered with slumped nazi corpses I'd just worked through with holes blown through their torsos, arms gone, legs gone - it looked horrible and very workmanlike and few games nail that post-battle carnage feeling.

Total War games manage that last point now I think about it. Post-battle there's nearly always a large carpet of corpses on the ground signifying where the thickest fighting was. Like bloody contour lines on an ordnance survey map.
  • Recore

I really want to like this more than I do.
    I love the robot companions. Each has personality (unlike the player character) and I like how they are used as the traversal and discovery mechanics. The spider rails are great fun and even beat Samus' morphball in the Prime games.

The Prime heritage also shows in switching gun variants using the d-pad. Unfortunately this seems to do little more than change your projectile colour, match the enemy colour for bigger hits. There is a charged secondary fire for each colour which varies in charge speed, damage and I believe effect (stun, area etc). However there is no real point in tailoring which charge shot variant to use as by far the best tactic is to just match the enemy colour.
    Shooting an enemy enough allows you to fire a grapple at the enemy and remove it's core, which can then be used to upgrade your robot friends, it also provides the quickest kill method but leaves you vulnerable.

Which leads me onto upgrading. I like this side of the game, you get three types of core colour and can select which robot to use them on. More interesting are the parts blueprints you can develop to upgrade your friends. There are various colours and styles for each segment of the robots. Unfortunately due to stats being tied to certain aesthetics there is little opportunity for fashion souls, at least for as long as I have played. My hopes of making robot Clayton weren't to be.

So a mixed bag so far.
    The dungeons are good fun though, each with a boss at the end and some basic puzzles throughout.
    The hub world is less fun and that is fine to two things.
    Firstly you have to return to your base to upgrade bots, meaning you will be sitting through two sets of loafing screens fairly often. There is fast travel, served up by an amusingly mad revolutionary bot named Violet.
    You can also do a quick drop of scrap and cores with her with her which is handy but the limit on how much you can carry seems pointless anyway. Following the story you will find many a fast travel station but when exploring the inventory can fill quickly. Unlike Skyrim etc there isn't enough depth in the items to warrant genuine interest in what to keep and what to save, in fact I'm not even sure you can drop items.

Secondly is a fair bigger disappointment. The gameplay gets really dull when in the wide open spaces of the hub world. Shoot, shoot, shoot, switch colour, repeat. Your robot friends attack on their own but can deliver a power attack by pressing Y, even that just becomes a case of pressing Y on the bigger enemies until it runs out, then wait for recharge.
    There is no melee and no variations in weapon type so staying close enough to do max damage but no closer is the only real tactic. Dungeons obviously make this harder and therefore more interesting.

The Metroid pedigree is there and shows every now and again and that is where the game peaks. Unfortunately it has been bred with something a lot weaker for a couple of generations.
    A strange game where it feels like an average if competent team have made most of the game with a genius popping in every last Thursday of the month to add some magic. Which probably isn't far from the truth.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Total War games manage that last point now I think about it. Post-battle there's nearly always a large carpet of corpses on the ground signifying where the thickest fighting was. Like bloody contour lines on an ordnance survey map.

Yeah that's one of my favourite aspects of the Total War games, in terms of immersion. They missed the blood soaking into the snow in those maps though, some of the Norsca battles I've had would have left a sea of red. Considering I'm stupidly paying for blood DLC I would have liked a little more attention to detail.
  • Got Lara Croft GO for a couple of quid a week or so back and have been playing it this weekend. Went through the main quest yesterday, and it was pleasant enough but not very taxing. Put one of the extra levels on today (presumably some sort of DLC originally?) and the puzzles are far more intricate and challenging. Much better, but now feels like the main game was a long gentle tutorial for the bonus content.
  • I've started Oddworld New 'n Tasty on Vita, which didn't appear on my download list but must've been tied to the PS4 version on Plus.   Ehhhhh.  I used to adore the original, but where the Vita version is pared back visually the shininess of the console update has dulled, and the original probably looks better (I should check really, I can access it on Vita).  I'll know if I'm sticking with it by the end of the day.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Playing Rocket League in a dream last night, jumped up to meet a cross, volleyed it hard as I fucking could. GOOOAAALLL! Except it was Mrs Hair’s shin I’d booted. Feel so bad.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!