Currently Playing
  • When. The devs answers on twitter that it'll come "later" after the switch version is all taken care of. Probably end of this year, early 2018.
    Nice.
  • I just banged Cora.
    Good man.

Also, this is necessary viewing for everyone who has never seen a videogame sex scene narrated shot-by-shot:
    Spoiler:
    NSFW, obviously
  • Jumped back into just cause 3. Only because it being on ps plus reminded me I had it.
    I really have a lot of fun because it's not taking itself too seriously.

Playing this too before Destiny 2 comes out. It's obviously got issues but is also just crazy fun as well. I've been enjoying it
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Everything goes into a very weird place once you bring yourself down past atom-sized into theoretical geometry.

Wtf does this wikipedia page say.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-sphere
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime

Browsing through the Bone ready to install list with my lad for something for us to play together and thought we'd give this a blast. What an absolute treat.

We're only on the easiest difficulty (he's only 5) but he's got really into it, especially the gem combos. Metal/ Beam shield is his favourite and he managed to get us the achievement for attaching loads of projectiles. We've offed 3 bosses this afternoon and enjoyed every minute.

I imagine it's a right laugh on the hardest difficulty with 4 players. Some nice mechanics get added, and it all looks really nice. Gutted it isn't online.
  • Yeah, I toyed with that game. Seemed fun.
  • Polished off the Mass Effect:A main quest today. A ton of side stuff still to do but I wanted to move on.

Next up is either Tokyo Mirage Sessions or Xenoblade Chronicles X.
    Both are really pushing it for being a bit too anime for my tastes, we will see.
    Played through the prologue of Tokyo earlier, it is very Japanese but the mental boss made me laugh so and I wasn't totally confused by the stat progression etc so it may stick.

Xeno, I did the character creator then had to go out. Obviously picked the "cor blimey guvnah" voice. Hopefully I can get a pearly mech.
  • Finished off Little Nightmares and that was just wonderful. Much preferred it to inside which I also rather liked and I've moved on to Night in the Woods.  I'm liking the mood of this, has anyone else played?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Little bit of progress in Super Metroid

I've defeated the Phantoon boss, looked it up and turns out you can do a
    Spoiler:

It's such a brilliant game, exploring is relaxing and exciting at the same time, never too hard to get around, but not everything is easy to reach. Sometimes you need to backtrack a bit, but it never feels like a slog, the world feels so big but it's actually quick to navigate. Power ups get handed out without needing to do anything for it, but you can stumble upon bosses everywhere.

And sometimes you just find surprises, like
    Spoiler:

Think there are 3 or 4 gaps in my inventory screen (2 misc and 1 boots I know for sure, maybe one in my weapon section too), so once I get them I'm gonna go after missed tanks. Got 5 so far and 1 super tank or whatever it's called.

Next to an amazing game to play and explore, it's so beautiful, the art is amazing and the music fits it.

Looking forward to what they've done with Metroid 2 remake. I got the original cartridge at a flea market, but never really played it (got a Gameboy after I had my gba, never really got used much).

Also found out that, thanks to a Twitter game, the original Metroid was released in the same month and year I was born. I like that, Metroid had always been special to me, for various reasons.
  • Finished off Little Nightmares and that was just wonderful. Much preferred it to inside which I also rather liked and I've moved on to Night in the Woods.  I'm liking the mood of this, has anyone else played?
    I posted about it in the Just Completed thread last week. I also loved it. Such a beautiful, creepy world. I might go back through it and find all the collectible stuff. Great how it didn't signpost any of that either. I only realised about half way through you could pick up and smash the dolls.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @Nina - loving the Metroid posts.

The statue with the gems. Most gratifying. And as for the unfolding inventory screen - Nintendo are great at that.

That soundtrack.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Any excuse:

• Brinstar is my fave. Love Maridia (?) underwater too.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • https://am2r-another-metroid-2-remake.en.uptodown.com/windows

Am2r pimpin'.
    Spread the metroid love.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Luigi's Mansion 2

Started it on holiday, hopefully I'll play and finish it rather than get distracted by other stuff.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Luigi's Mansion 2 Started it on holiday, hopefully I'll play and finish it rather than get distracted by other stuff.
    Doubtful as it's not that good
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Laptop life:

Hollow knight. still amazing. Pushing 37 hrs I think, and a long ways to go.

12 is better than 6. hand drawn top down sort of twin stick shooter. Rough around the edges, but visceral and snappy. Perfect break from hollow knight material.

Pako 2 still the occasional dabble. As it's in early access, worth checking in to try versions. Perfect with tunes when I have 15 minutes.

Solus project started. Spent way to long getting controller working. Purdy, except for the fucking on screen indicators.

Cities had a break, but will get back to it soon. So amazing. Another month of off season. So I better get cracking on these games.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Ended up with a few things in progress at the same time.

Nioh: About 60% through, I think. It's very good but a bit long and samey. Will have a break for a while before I go back and finish it.

Prey: Recently started and played about 5 hours. Some small issues but it's got some strong ideas and scope for creative gameplay. Good stuff.

Everybody's Golf: Wanted something more immediate and light after all these complex dark games and this is the perfect contrast. Bit grindy but plays a strong game.

Also been having the odd go on Downwell but I think I'm done with it now. Got to the 3rd area a couple of times. As a tough roguelike it needs more variety to be worth sticking with longer.
  • Just Cause 3: Not the greatest opening when the AI guy dies twice before I can rescue him. Twat. Then your zipping up to a gunship, taking it over, exploding everything in sight and you remember how much fun Rico can be.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Playing through the campaign missions in Battlefield 1 as it's appeared on EA Access. I foolishly thought the absence of future warfare and laser sights would mean a more stripped back realistic campaign. Instead I've been shooting Germans on top of zeppelins and mowing down entire battalions as some sort of Italian Iron Man. Still, looks lovely and has been great fun so far.
  • Decided to give Absolver a go.

Interesting game to approach whilst everyone is plsying D2 as this has such a rock solid core appeal, but none of the money behind it that D2 has,which means it feels a bit aesetic by limitations rather than intent.

The premise is simple: explore a ruined and interconnected city as a masked martial artist. Beat up other wanderers, and some sub-bosses, with the final aim of challenging three bosses and opening a gate to what I presume is the final challenge. Other players roam around, journey style, and you co-op everything bar the bosses, or duel (there's also dedicated PvP).

Combat is kinda class based: one can parry, one can dodge moves god hand style (everyone has a regular dodge), the third can absorb hits and regain health. Everything is stance based and you'll usually have 4 combos mapped to stances, as well as alternative single moves that you can use in certain stances.

The twist is that you can build your own deck of moves from techniques you learn. Fighting opponents lets you learn their skills: blocking and dodging earns you XP for that move, defeating enemies gives you bonuses to that, and eventually you can unlock new techniques.

You build your deck to make combo strings. Each move lands you in a different stance, and dictates what alternative moves you can use in that stance: for example a light jab that lands you in front left can only let you use the alternative move in the front left stance, whereas one that lands you in front right lets you use the alternative from that slot. Alternatives tend to be heavier attacks and can be fired off at any point during a combo as long as your in motion stance is correct. It's very hard to visualise but it basically means you can build 4 bread and butter combos that reset quite simply, and you can use alternative moves to either return you to the start of a loop or shift you to a new combo. This is crazily all done with 2 buttons, although you can change stance manually if you wish.

Even in my limited time i'm PvP I have seen some amazing combo chains, and have had then joy of predicting hits to sidestep or duck them, following up wth my own chains. The lack of a traditional fighting game rigidity is interesting because it means you have to read your opponent rather than rely on a knowledge of their move set. It's really slick and feels great when you start getting a hang of it, as you are building your own combos rather than learning weird links that exist seemingly arbitrarily. Everything flows, like a dance.

There are various things that complicate matters such as tension, a power that builds up and lets you cast certain magic like a slow heal, an AoE push, a move cancel, and a ground pound, plus there are weapons (with their own decks) that you can charge up to username short bursts in PvP.

The main issue is of course, the scope. The combat system in this game is nothing short of genius. The limitations of the developer's via team size and cash cripple a lot of it though. The actually playing space is small, and although full of interesting cramped spaces and fighting arenas full of drops and strange obstacles to work around, your journey feels a little aimless. The Destiny comparison I brought feels relevant because teaming up with others ad hoc style to run around beating up mobs is great, and I would love to see the same system expanded over a great, more livable world. The core system here is inventive and novel and in terms of ambition far outshines the sawn of corners of a lot of AAA games, it's just such a shame it has to be limited by design. Easily the best game this year that only a fraction of people will end up playing.
  • Watched a vid of it. Had my eye on it a couple of times. Love the souls angle, love the look, and on paper, that fighting system sounds amazing. But I doubt I could play it with any proficiency.

Hope it does well.
  • Is @Brooks all up in it?
  • Currently playing Hellblade and still mucking around with a mixture of just cause 3 and Nier Automata.

Tried elite dangerous for a bit and managed to completely hate it in the time I was on it.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Nope, I'm sort of underwhelmed by the character design, though it's nice to see a lot of God Hand's DNA up in a videogame again.

I idly wonder if framedata charts are already being shared around what it can claim as its community.
  • Not so much, currently it's all about decks and so on. There is some frame-y data and such though, like the style that lets you evade can evade faster from neutral than from block. Also forget to mention that you can can feint by hitting guard, and feinting retains the previous stance you were in despite triggering a stance change move, so you can use that to further interrupt things, yikes!
  • Expectation is that the list of viable attacks will be whittled down pretty quickly if this catches on, which sort of negates the value of a customisable moveset.
  • That's the expectation, yep. Lots of people annoyed with the Stagger style, which is an unlockable Drunken Master style that features a mix of slow delayed hits and rapid fire blows that people feel are unfair. Hopefully the smallish community will mean exploits are less easily crowdsourced.
  • Currently playing Hellblade and still mucking around with a mixture of just cause 3 and Nier Automata. Tried elite dangerous for a bit and managed to completely hate it in the time I was on it.
    I'm still knocking around JC3. Is there no missions?
    The Forum Herald™
  • I was playing the DLC which is a whole load of fun to play.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!