Currently Playing
  • JonB wrote:
    I've been enjoying Transistor the last couple of days. The combat system really is very clever, especially when you have to make the most of it in the challenge rooms. Great music of course too. Not sure if it's quite as good as Bastion at this stage, but it's not far off.

Aye, I thought the combat was superb. Got quite far before it went on my PoS, need to get back to it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Currently back into horizon Zero Dawn again after doing some Bloodborne mucking about..

Its so so so good.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    I've been enjoying Transistor the last couple of days. The combat system really is very clever, especially when you have to make the most of it in the challenge rooms. Great music of course too. Not sure if it's quite as good as Bastion at this stage, but it's not far off.

Aye, I thought the combat was superb. Got quite far before it went on my PoS, need to get back to it.

Have that to play. Given what you guys are saying about trans combat, and given that pyre is also strong and interesting on that front, big props goes to that dev team. Supergiant? My brain only works for some things.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I got Pyre in the sale, hope to give it a spin soon.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    About done with Psychotronics in Prey and it's finding a proper stride. I'm bracing for the universally panned ending everyone went on about.
  • I was bored as all fuck by the last third.
  • Blasting through Hard Reset Redux. PC only FPS. 

It's dumb as a box of spanners. 

Mechanics are still pure doom vintage. Because of that though, they manage some fun physics in a big dumb way. Bullet sponge enemies and it's completely unimaginative in how it goes, but it's so familiar that it's kind of comforting. 

Super cheap and I figure I'll be able to crack through it on normal. If any of it is broken and actually hard, I'll quit. Don't trust the devs to be fair or clever with late game difficulty.

Dialogue is noticeably amazingly bad, even by the lowest of low videogame standards, to the point where it's actually entertaining. All your base are belong to us, redux.

Highly recommended.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    I was bored as all fuck by the last third.

Yep.

Such a great opening too.

Pacman Champion Edition 2

You have to do a suite of tutorials before you can begin playing properly.  For fucking pacman!  Got halfway through them and turned it off.  It was only $1 in some humble bundle; it may never get loaded again!

Ashes Cricket

Low expectations but it's been quite fun so far.  You can play as a single player from the very start of their career in grade cricket, play domestically all around the world and eventually represent your country.  My character is currently opening the batting for the North Hobart women's cricket team.  What a time to be alive.

Will have to muck around with the options as even on the harder difficulties you can slog 20 runs off an over with no problem and only get out if you're being a clown (or run out from a direct hit from the boundary).  The games biggest problem though is Michael Slater's commentary.  Almost as dire as listening to the real thing!
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • GTA4
    I've never really got into any gta game enough to finish one from start to finish. Just started this and ...it's actually good. Luv the acting and dialogue. The satirical tv/radio stations are also disturbingly recognisable in the Trump era. Pure unadulterated entertainment. Will try to finish this asap.

Ori and the blind forest
    Excellent metroid vania platformer. Different enough from Hollow Knight and well worth a tenner.

Hollow Knight
    Fucking white palace. I like a challenge but that last part is nigh on impossible. Shame as I was quite enjoying it till that section. Fast forwarding to the dlc it is.

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Wario: fight through the tutes. That pacman is legit. One of my most played xbla on 360. Don't recall the tutes though.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    TheDJR wrote:
    I was bored as all fuck by the last third.

If only it didn't have SBMM eh
  • Facewon wrote:
    Wario: fight through the tutes. That pacman is legit. One of my most played xbla on 360. Don't recall the tutes though.

You're not wrong mate.  Have only played the one challenge, but played it over and over for an hour or so... absolutely top shelf!  

Was probably being a sook about the tutorials... it maybe only took 10 minutes all up.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Hollow Knight.  It's really good and bastard hard sometimes.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Yep.
  • GtSport: made a terrible first impression with connection issues and some dirty, filthy tbf, online rammers. Did get some sweet as prize cars today tho + got my SR up to a B. 

Dishonoured 2 Death of the Outsider: Going full-pacifist. Taking in as much of this game's beautifully realised world as I go.

I'll kill and burn all that moves next run through. It will get messy.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Flying around outside Talos 1 in Prey and seeing your tiny shadow on the hull and solar panels is something good in French.
  • Blackwood Crossing
    Started and finished within the afternoon.  Perhaps 2 or 3 hours or so. Totally floored me. Felt shell shocked by it all.  There are a couple of elements to it that really resonated with me - a lot around grief and family and inner strength.  I can’t recommend it highly enough - just really really special.  It has a similar feel to Edith Finch and Last Days of June so if they were yer bag I’d go for it. Just wow.
  • Loved Blackwood Crossing. Similar feel to Edith Finch, as you say, but I think Blackwood is better. Some very touching moments in the game.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Started What Remains of Edith Finch, am about an hour in and now I'm dizzy. Interesting so far, guessing it will only have its full impact once completed.

It was the
    Spoiler:
    that triggered dizziness, played for a little bit longer before giving up for today. Which is a shame, hoping I would get it done in one long session. Was looking forward to that.
  • I read that first part as a metaphorical dizzy, like dizzy with excitement etc. Then got to the second part. Oops.

Motion sickness tablets?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Gonna try siting a bit farther away from my laptop screen next time. I get motion sickness / dizzyness fairly easy, but it doesn't always trigger. Remember Half Life 2 being really bad for it, but I was fine playing it on 360.

Don't think this is supposed to be a long game away, so I'm pretty sure I'll manage it.

I have never heard of Blackwood Crossing btw, seeing it mentioned up there and compared to Finch. Might add that to a wishlist then.
  • I get motion sickness and Edith Finch definitely affected me. The Witness was horrible to until they patched in the bigger viewing window.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Good to know about The Witness.
    Really wanted Edith Finch to have that too, B was adjusting the settings on pc to get it all smooth, and the only thing I wanted changed was the first person perspective. Luckily most of it (so far) can be played at a slow pace, first "story"
    Spoiler:
    gave me trouble too.
  • I Am Setsuna on Switch

I can see why it copped middling reviews for being a bit of a generic old school JRPG, but it's hitting the spot for me.

Really enjoying the characters especially, even if they've not really shown any depth.  I've found Setsuna (the character) to be quite touching even if she's far too kind and lovely to be much like an actual person.  "Oh no!" she cried in dismay not long ago; a cute hermit crab monster had snuck on board our ship and taken a party member by surprise.  It was exactly as threatening as it looked, and was dead within 1 battle turn.  I was quite touched she got so upset over it!  No idea what's wrong with me.  Her empathy melts my heart.  

Finding such a straightforward game just the ticket after struggling with Mad Max's open world.  Good, simple stuff so far.
  • I'm currently enjoying Steamworld Dig 2 on Switch, but painfully bouncing off Undertale on Vita.  I've only given the latter half an hour so far, will decide after the journey home, but ehhh, I don't think it's for me.
  • I’m playing Hob on the PS4. Want to like it more than I do. Looks lovely, is a metroidvania so what’s my problem with it. It’s just dragging.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'm currently enjoying Steamworld Dig 2 on Switch, but painfully bouncing off Undertale on Vita.  I've only given the latter half an hour so far, will decide after the journey home, but ehhh, I don't think it's for me.
    Probably depends a lot on whether you find it funny or clever. And that might depend on your previous exposure to traditional RPGs.
  • My last trad RPG was Skies of Arcadia, and I think my full list of completed JRPGs is Sword of Vermillion, Shining the Holy Ark and Final Fantasy VII.  Vermillion probably doesn't even count as the battles were action based.  I'm finding it funny and clever, but I'm also finding it slow and a bit confusing (am I supposed to know whether to kill or show mercy?), and the tiny dodge attacks box is welldodge.
  • In terms of whether to attack or not, that really reflects on you. There's no right or wrong way, at least in terms of progress (although you don't get XP if you let them go), but it's one of the main themes of the game.

As for the dodge box, I imagine that doesn't work to well on Vita. It's small anyway, so if they haven't optimised it to take up more of the screen that really could be a deal breaker.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!