Currently Playing
  • Can't speak highly enough of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on Switch for those with a lapsed interest in JRPGs and are thinking about jumping in again. I’m 22 hours in and really enjoying it.
  • I’m playing Hob on the PS4. Want to like it more than I do. Looks lovely, is a metroidvania so what’s my problem with it. It’s just dragging.

How far in? Intro is a reasonable example of the rest, but it does add a few clever tricks. It's not super long either
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    I’m playing Hob on the PS4. Want to like it more than I do. Looks lovely, is a metroidvania so what’s my problem with it. It’s just dragging.
    How far in? Intro is a reasonable example of the rest, but it does add a few clever tricks. It's not super long either

I’ve done the desert area and then the forest bit after that.  I’m a bit stuck on where to go next though.  Just got rid of some of the purple stuff I’ve got a marker on where to head (north east area of map) but can’t work out how to get there. I don’t really dislike the game btw and will probably see it through it’s just that all the seperate parts don’t quite add up to a cohesive whole somehow.  Runs like a dog in places on ps pro too.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just started Mass Effect: Andromeda and have to say I’m enjoying it so far. Only just part way through the first mission but it feels Mass Effect enough, the faces don’t seem that bad (guessing they’ve been patched a bit) and it’s all ticking along nicely so far. As I bought it in the sale for something like £15 I really can’t complain.
  • I enjoyed it.
    The patch certainly helped. If you can get past the fact that it isn't Shep &Co and that it won't match the og trilogy there is a decent enough game in there.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Like how I customised my character and the Pathfinder has been customised to make a reasonably similar Dad.

Don’t think I’ll have a problem with it not being Shep. Characters are lacking a bit of the character from ME2 but not too bad.

Looking forward to exploring stuff and it’s certainly pretty on the old Pro.
  • @uncle. Yeah, ran like a dog in places on pc too. Ended up dropping settings a bit.

There's definitely a few spots where even with map icon you can be unsure. I had to youtu.be one bit.

Still might make my top 5. I liked the lack of fuss and there's no terrible bits.
  • Steamworld Dig 2 is brilliant.  The digging/exploration is just as satisfying as it was in the first game.  I was tempted to type 'therapeutic'; it's a strangely satisfying thing, plus the risk/reward balance is still lenient but quick to punish recklessness.
  • Started Steamworld Heist today. Seems fine but a little basic. Needs to introduce some new elements soon because it's already feeling repetitive after a couple of hours.
  • It's around 12hrs long iirc, so you're just starting to scratch past the surface.  The new characters tend to introduce new elements, but it's definitely at the more basic end of the grid tactics spectrum.
  • Yeah, it would probably work as a good introduction to the genre, but it's a bit of a comedown after XCom etc.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So I'm continuing to love Andromeda, I have my beach buggy, I can scan planets for materials (yey!) and I have already gathered half a dozen side quests. In fact, the only negative is the main story. Give me this universe and let me create my own stories and it'd be the perfect SP game.
  • The main story is definitely weaker but I found a fair few of the side quests interesting, plus the choices on what you do with a planet once fully colonised.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep I’m enjoying it a lot more than I expected to. Glad I didn’t get it on launch. My expectations would’ve been too high and I’d have been disappointed. Also have to say some of the lighting on this game is brilliant.
  • Yar, Andromeda is not without its charm. I wasn’t enamoured with the open world structure, but there’s some lovely vistas (sometimes) so it wasn’t too bad. It could, at times, look stunning.

It’s just a shame that it’s hobbled a bit by an inquisition-style crafting system (and all the busy work and gathering that entails), a dull antagonist, incredibly uneven writing and characters that are far too one-dimensional.

That sounds harsh, but I still had fun, and am disappointed that it looks like there’ll never be a sequel.
  • I started playing the demo, and found it offensive to my eyes and ears, but it’s nice* that there’s an enjoyable game buried under all that.

* Or, a massive shame.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I was playing some Subsurface Circular tonight and I can't not fucking pronounce Mike Bithell's name "Bit-Hell".
  • Tiny Echo is pretty. Point and click though. I may lose the will to live.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'll be giving that a go soon. Your final sentence didn't fill me with too much joy.
  • Nah, it is point and click, which is a genre I'm suss on. But it seems fine as something in that genre and the HUD stuff is ok. It's just, you know, pointing and clicking.
  • Just started Darksiders 2, which is enjoyably retro. Is it old enough to be retro? It definitely feels very last gen, but not in a bad way. I love these kinds of games.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Not so much retro as copies a number of older games (Zelda, Sands of Time, God of War et al and the loot system from wherever that started). Played through it not long ago too. It's competently made, just don't expect anything especially original to occur.
  • I really liked the first one, for all its b-movie like charm, and this one seems much the same.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Just put another half an hour into Undertale.  I hate it.  Dialogue/genre nods are great, but I hate the execution of the fight box (which is a great idea), can't stand the spare/flee/fight thing and haven't enjoyed any genuine puzzles so far.  
    Spoiler:
  • First full play through of Civ VI. It's not without its faults but wow there's so much depth. I love the new culture mechanism.

I wanted a religious win, just to try it out really, then when it wasn't going anywhere I switched to culture. Then in the end there was an opening so I finished off the religious victory.

Properly addictive as ever so I'm enforcing a break. What to play next....
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Just put another half an hour into Undertale.  I hate it.  Dialogue/genre nods are great, but I hate the execution of the fight box (which is a great idea), can't stand the spare/flee/fight thing and haven't enjoyed any genuine puzzles so far.  
    Spoiler:
    Should think that's at least halfway. It's only about 6 hours to the end. But if you hate it that much, don't bother.
  • I've got the thread to think about though.  Not point giving up now, I've put 197 minutes in.
  • This is one reason I'm not doing the thread properly again this year. I played through Lumo and Bound (and Rive) to the bitter end FFS.
  • I am still playing Steamworld Heist though. Not too far from the end, I think. It's not particularly brilliant but it's generally enjoyable, and just the sort of easy to play thing I've had time for recently.
  • Also started Divinity Original Sin. Looks good from the first couple of hours but it'll have to wait till I have more time to focus on it properly.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!