• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    Tempest 4000 on PC.  GmG are doing a 20% voucher so that's £12.39. Visually it gets more crazy than TxK but still not as good as Space Giraffe (which most people hated). Plays nicely.

I loved T2K and Space Giraffe (which I haven't played anywhere near enough yet) but I'm still not convinced you can play a Tempest game without a spinner.  :(  It just isn't the same.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Had a bash on Assault Android Cactus last night, one of this month's Games with Gold. It's jolly fun. A bright and breezy twin-stick shooter. Campaign seems to only be a couple of hours long but looks like there's lots of score attack fun for those that like that sort of thing. Can be played in co-op too. Worth a go.
  • Yep, exactly that. I got a good 2-3 hours out of it. Score attack might've been fun if there'd been some forum competition (although probably still nowhere near the depth of Nex Machina).
  • I did replay a level or two to try and get higher on the leaderboard... :D
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Fuckin I'm gone down the Xenoblade hole lads like so far fucking fuck
  • I'm scared 4 Reg.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Honestly help me
  • Got a super NES mini for my birthday so fucking excited ... what to play first guys?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Star fox, then star fox 2. Then you can play the good games.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Play Mario world the king of games
  • I figured smw but I did Play that to death at the time thought maybe Metroid or Zelda that I never had?
    The Forum Herald™
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I don't know what that means
  • Play "which extra ROMs should I add to my SNES?"
  • Bob wrote:
    I figured smw but I did Play that to death at the time thought maybe Metroid or Zelda that I never had?

Most games on the mini are amazing. But Super Metroid and Zelda are the best along with SMW and Yoshi’s Island.

Super Metroid I reckon.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Zelda and Metroid on SNES really are quite wonderful. Metroid has one or two places where the solution to proceed is a bit contrived which is the only thing I'd hold against it. Maybe I'm being unfair - it's a least a bit of lateral thinking which is out of synch with the rest of the game. I don't recall that happening in Zelda.

SNES Zelda is the only one in the series I ever completed. I'm not one for that style of game but I had a great time playing that...I'd go for that first.

SNES Metroid is the only one in that series I ever completed. I loved it but when I finished it I was done with that type of game. I hated it when Castlevania started to move in the same direction as I prefer that to be linear.  

Reminds me of Cave Story which I enjoyed but just couldn't stick with because it just felt like a rerun.

I find it very strange that I dislike repeating an experience (Zelda ALttP, Super Metroid, Doom 2 saw those genres off for me) yet I will endlessly play Tetris, 2D shmups, Asteroids, Mr Driller, arcade racers etc which most others will see as far more repetitive.
  • After the recent Lumines love-in I went back for a quick rattle of another miz belter

G1qJRK9.png

Still a great game. Love the bone BC for times like that.
  • davyK wrote:
    I find it very strange that I dislike repeating an experience (Zelda ALttP, Super Metroid, Doom 2 saw those genres off for me) yet I will endlessly play Tetris, 2D shmups, Asteroids, Mr Driller, arcade racers etc which most others will see as far more repetitive.

It's not that strange - at least I hope it's not.  I've played over half of the Zelda games, but only once each.  I'd usually rather play something else than play through anything (non straight-ahead retro) again, it's been that way for a couple of decades now.  The games you mention strike me as far more replayable than anything story based (2D shmups aside, perhaps, but presumably that's because I'm not particularly good at them).  I'll happily spend 10 hours playing one great track on Trials, but something like Ninja Gaiden on Xbox - which was one of the best things I'd ever played in 2004 - never saw the disc drive again once the final boss had fallen. 

New Game + is a great addition to videogames, but it's not something I've ever bothered with.  See also: achievements.
  • Have you tried any roguelikes, Davy?  I'm not keen myself, but replayability is a huge part of their appeal.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Have you tried any roguelikes, Davy?  I'm not keen myself, but replayability is a huge part of their appeal.

I haven't. I can remember playing with ZZT - that ascii game that I thought was good - but that isn't a rogue game as the levels aren't algo-generated.

I like the idea of them though.

I think if I came across a Gauntlet/Robotron type game I'd probably like it - is that what that Gungeon game is?  I can't really be arsed with collecting. I'd tolerate simple key finding but that would be it.
  • Gungeon is a roguelite twin stick shooter, yeah. You can find different guns and hoover up money when you kill stuff that can be used to buy things, but that's about it as far as collecting goes.

For roguelite action games in general, there's not much better than Spelunky.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    And for Roguelike non-action-but-still-able-to-appeal-to-an-action-game-fan-like-me, FtL is a GOAT.
  • JonB wrote:

For roguelite action games in general, there's not much better than Spelunky.

Indeed.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yossarian wrote:
    And for Roguelike non-action-but-still-able-to-appeal-to-an-action-game-fan-like-me, FtL is a GOAT.

Yeah, FTL is top life stealer.
  • I'd recommend Downwell for Davy.  It's one of the few I've really enjoyed.  

• Can’t believe the cunts at Nintendo didn’t spring for a fucking plug!
    The Forum Herald™
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cunt plug
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Plunt Cug
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I am wholly consumed by Cultist Simulator. Which is probably the point.

Time will just vanish as I'm playing it. I must know more of the delicious lore regarding The Mansus and the many Hours that dwell there. Tonight I incarcerated a gentleman once he had completed the task I hired him for in assisting my cultist brothers and sisters to ransack an isolated abbey on the continent. The monks were immune to the charms of my followers with Knowledge of The Red Grail because they themselves were terribly devout in deference to that ravenous and lustful Hour. In the end, my disciple with knowledge of Moth and the Buzzing in the Woods convinced them we had brought them a priceless religious text that could only be read by the light of the moon. The primeval forest finished the rest.

He was an infiltration consultant and a mundane man unknown to the invisible arts, but his blood was still fine currency for gaining access through the spider door when I dreamed that night. It is described as a huge, obsidian entrance with blood constantly evaporating upon the surface like beads of sweat and ITS THIRST MUST BE QUENCHED.

The coming nights will be productive. The Forge of Days will be completed.
  • So played SMW.. still lovely. Made it to the end of the first castle. A stone cold classic.
    Played Contra and Super G'nG. Both fucking hard. Didn't get far.
    Played SF2. Couldn't beat the Indian guy.. couldn't remember many of the specials. Had a go with Ryu and The soldier guy..
    Played Mario Kart and did the first 50cc cup but time hasn't been kind and I'd be better off playing SMK8 on my Switch.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Last time I played SF2 I made it to the Chinese lady with the Brazilian.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!