Currently Playing
  • Now that I'm done with God of War, Evil Within 2 is my big screen game.  I've played for maybe two and a half hours, enjoying a lot of the headfuck stuff and the general hamminess.  Not enjoying the crafting aspect, or the fact that the combat feels stilted and overly perilous due to the slightly cumbersome (and limited) moveset/restricted ammo.  I get that people like this sort of thing in survival horror, but I'm not keen, so I've dropped the difficulty to casual and am strapping myself in to enjoy the rest without having to watch too many post-death loading screens.
  • @silke I'd not dabble with them at the same time. Hollow has a maze of a set map which does not suit long breaks IMO.

Dead cells is morish AF, but random levels means there's less to remember/forget.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Cognizer. Free on Android/steam/maybe other. Work comp, I'm currently winning with just over 5k. Come beat me. If you can.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Floor Kids and Hollow Knight.

Floor Kids isn't quite as fun as I thought it'd be, partly because I don't think the controls are particularly responsive and therefore don't map to moves that well. The tutorial is also very basic and doesn't explain certain mechanics or scoring systems - I'm guessing/hoping there's more lessons on these as you progress but at this rate, not sure how long I'm going to stick with it.

Pretty early on in Hollow Knight and just trying not to let everything I've heard about it affect my judgment. Enjoying it so far though navigation is tricky. Need to set aside a good chunk of time to properly explore I think but certainly keen to do that.
  • Hollow knight is a 10 in my book
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I'm trying to temper my expectations, dammit! ;)
  • Possibly as good as Super Metroid, which is third best game ever
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I never liked Metroid. Thanks for restoring the balance, Elf.
  • Lack of Hollow Knight on PS4 is a shitter. Hope they get round to it.
  • Super Metroid did some astounding things but wouldn't be a great game these days thanks to the way it controls.  Anyone who says otherwise first played it 'backintheday'.  Hollow Knight is a 10 though.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Possibly as good as Super Metroid, which is third best game ever
    Agree with all of that
    Said on the other thread - it’s my game of the generation with only blodbourne coming close
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Super Metroid did some astounding things but wouldn't be a great game these days thanks to the way it controls.  Anyone who says otherwise first played it 'backintheday'.  Hollow Knight is a 10 though.

I played it last about 3 years ago. Controls are fine. Even if a little fiddly compared to other games, it takes no time for someone to get used to them. First playing it on or near release doesn’t mean it doesn’t play great now. That’s the beauty of it and what makes it so good. It’s still amazing to this day and still better than all other Metroid-likes. No one has bettered it.
  • I'm pretty sure my point might be that if Super Metroid and Hollow Knight dropped in a 22yr old reviewer's lap today, Super Metroid has enough niggles to see it disregarded as challenger.  It's a beautiful game far ahead of its time but it doesn't have Link to the Past levels of 'still better than the imitators' for me, it's just an exceptional 16-bit game that inspired better games.

I don't really want not liking the best 2D Metroid to be my thing, but at the same time I believe what I'm saying so I always end up saying it again.  Attheendoftheday I've completed The Mummy Returns but haven't stuck with Super Metroid past the first 5hrs on three attempts, so I'm the twat on paper.
  • 5hrs? You were (probably!) so close to the end. I finished it around the 6hr mark a few months back.

The only part that didn't hold up for me were some of the jankier boss fights. Otherwise it's still a sublime example of the joys of exploration and discovery to be found uniquely in deeply atmospheric and intricately realised game-worlds.

Will play Hollow Knight when (if) I get my Switch. Comparison noises with Super are a big plus in my book.
  • It's mainly the way Samus controls for me; the floaty jump, the treacle pits etc.  First time I played it I tried to go in cold, second time I used a guide.  Then I bought it on Wii U for 39p or whatever that deal was, and failed again.  It's a shame, but not playing Prime past the first 5hrs is a bigger regret.
  • Yeah, if you don't get on with the movement and that I could see how it'd be difficult to properly enjoy the experience. I've always sucked at the wall jump: I can do it but not consistently enough for it to ever be a fun thing to do. Otherwise (fortunately) I loved the controls (tho yes treacle-pits can do one).
  • Fair points, some bits do annoy, yes. Water, sand etc. But overall exploration and world design andlevel layouts were great and I loved the atmosphere. Hollow Knight is great so far in that sense too.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Have gone back to No Man’s Sky and have to say I’m enjoying pootling around the universe again. Graphics are much improved, on Pro at least, with much better lighting, textures and resolution. Pop-in is still there, but someone like Trippy would make some even more beautiful pics now. 

Systems seem a bit more thought out with the different factions requiring different things and missions giving a bit more meaning to doing stuff. You are still doing the same stuff, but now with guidance or a reason. For example, I’m trying to find a lost alien at the moment who is guiding me to level up standing with the Vykeen so I need to learn more of their language and then I need to go to other planets and finally build a base. I’m sure it’s just smoke and mirrors,  but it feels more more thought through as an actual game rather than a bunch of systems. You can crash into stuff now and space combat seems more difficult and deadly. The freighters aren’t all that great but defending them means you can board one and buy it if you can afford the ridiculous sum they want for one. 

All in all, it’s still a chill out kind of game, but now it feels like there is an actual game there.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    MOOT TALK MORE ABOUT EVIL WITHIN 2 I FUCKING LOVE THAT GAME
  • Sounds like I need to go back to NMS when I get my Pro...
  • I've just been chucking hours into Diablo 3 Season 14 with some pals because I can't muster the patience to play anything else.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    @Boris

I did the same a while ago, but wasn't really feeling the crappy missions/story stuff they'd added. It really is one of those games where you just need to pootle about of your own volition. When does the MP update come out on PS4?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Watched a video on YT stating it was in the autumn. I get what you are saying about the missions, I guess it’s a suspension of disbelief thing, just adds a bit of direction to the pootling, but obviously you can ignore them.
  • NMS is an excellent game for relaxing in while watching something on a second adjacent monitor. Mouse/keyboard works great too, great for lasering up a phat blob of minerals as quickly as possible. Controller is desired for when jumping into the ship though ofc.
  • Free mode is the only way to play; fuck collecting minerals and shit in a game about seeing the sights and taking pictures.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    MOOT TALK MORE ABOUT EVIL WITHIN 2 I FUCKING LOVE THAT GAME

I'm definitely enjoying it since dropping the difficulty down to casual.  Combat is outdated (and a bit wonky when enemies get in close) but I'm happier now I've found a shotgun/upgraded my pistol a bit.  It's very much A GOOD OL' VIDEOGAME, which I like, somewhere between Resi, Alan Wake, Condemned and the Scarecrow sections from Arkham Asylum.  Calling it a throwback would be fair, but it's doing some neat tricks with geometry shifting depending on where you're pointing the view.  Plus it gets extra points for having a shooting range just because, and also for calling the realm shifting computer software shortcuts (?) The Marrow.  Seems like £9 well spent at this stage.  Top gamey villain too.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hoorah. You must not be that far in yet re villain.
  • Dead cells. Oh fucking my.

Later levels and unlocks (not that I know how for in I am) are INCREDIBLE.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Cutting about in Bloodborne NG plus with Simons bow and hunters Axe combo and up to the cathedral ward.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Playing through my small but perfectly formed Megadrive cartridge collection.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!