Currently Playing
  • Currently off my face on Switch —

Splatoon 2 expansion
    Good but hard - or maybe I’m just shit. Probably the latter

Toad Teasure Tracker
    Only played a few levels but it’s exactly what I hoped it would be - seems like the perfect ‘holiday’ game.

Subsurface Circular
    Heard good things and I really like the premise but the interface is really jarring IMO so I’m struggling to get through It.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Super Metroid did some astounding things but wouldn't be a great game these days thanks to the way it controls.  Anyone who says otherwise first played it 'backintheday'.  Hollow Knight is a 10 though.

I played it three months ago for the first time to completion (had played it a bit on vita a couple of years ago) and never played it back in the day. I got used to the controls pretty soon having played Fusion many, many times over the years.

In fact I have a rom hack version that gives it Fusion/Zero controls and I probably prefer the floaty controls. Just seem to suit the level design better.

Maridia is a bit of a drag though (which has the treacle pits) and it’s that part that brings Super down - but only by today’s standards, back in the day this would have been amazing. It’s still brilliant now.
  • danclarke wrote:
    Subsurface Circular
    Heard good things and I really like the premise but the interface is really jarring IMO so I’m struggling to get through It.

What do you find so jarring about it?
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Hoorah. You must not be that far in yet re villain.

5-6hrs or so.  I've been destroying things that are dear to him, and just watched him
    Spoiler:
  • Also, conceding defeat with the Metroid thing.  I finished Fusion on the Micro last year, I preferred it to what I've played of Super.  Was a lot easier to work out where to go next, but Hollow Knight has since taught me that not knowing the best route to win can be fun.
  • I partly agree with your comments about ageing level design, just not the controls part.  I think Maridia drags Super down a bit after the glorious opening areas.  I think Fusion is the (marginally) better game.  Super starts off amazing and the quality goes down a bit, Fusions starts slow and ramps up and up.  Fusion is also technically better (hardly any slowdown, more detailed backgrounds (subjective), superior bosses).  Very different feel regarding exploration (or lack of) so a very different game to compare really.
    Not knowing where to go can sometimes be a good thing.
  • Heh, I didn't really mean to make a point about ageing level design, which means you don't even partly agree with anything I've said.  It's fiiine.  I'll happily applaud Super for its layout and progression system - the player's route through the game is expertly designed.  The fact that I bounced off that aspect of it is my fault rather than any problem with the way the map stitches together, it's just set out in a way I can't get on with.  Due to the controls. 
    I've been happily exploring the crap out of Hollow Knight.
  • I think I'm making sense anyway.  It helps if I don't re-read the post above this one though.
  • Fair point re controls. I knew that’s what you had issue with. They’re not perfect. I firmly believe it’s perfect in all other ways though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • @Moot, you did mention controls only, sorry.  I think I fitted 'still better than the imitators' and 'tracle pits' into my views of level design, whereas they fit perfectly with your comments about controls.

Will be more subtle when trying to influence people to have the exact same point of view as me in the future :-)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Dying Light is substantially better than that Edge ([6] i think?) review suggested.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yeah, good fun in co-op too. Looking forward to the sequel.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

5-6hrs or so.  I've been destroying things that are dear to him, and just watched him
    Spoiler:

Indeed. Well I shall say
    Spoiler:
  • Rare achievement unlocked. 0.25% of people have unlocked all endless "killing room levels" in Superhot. For a game that didn't grab me initially I appear to have played this more than most.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Indeed. Well I shall say
    Spoiler:

I might be a bit inebriated, but the second phase of Stef is wiping the floor with me.  On easy.
  • Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    YES
  • Risk of Rain
    Really gripping game... shame it's so poorly optimized. Constant slowdowns, frequent crashes... but I think I'm gonna keep on playing for a while. It's a nice alternative to Isaac for me right now.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Homefront: The Revolution. It's alright. It's on Gamepass. It's open worldy and has quite an enjoyable loop of liberating areas from red to blue. Nothing special.

The highlight so far has been finding an old arcade cabinet that allows you to play the first two levels from Timesplitters 2.
  • Still playing Final Fantasy 7 on PS4. Having the 3x speed etc. really does make life easier! I'm on 'disc 2', just getting to the last Huge Materia and I've clocked like 25 hours. Yet all my party are in the 60s for level, and have their level 4 limit break, I've done all the chocobo stuff so have Knights of the Round etc., I've maxed a bunch of materia.... basically way further along than I should be. Play time cut by half I would say.

But it still allows me to experience everything I enjoy about the game; the story, the music, the characters, the locations, the monsters and fights... Aeris ( :( ). 

Love it. I will finish it, the bulk of the time is actually done from what I recall!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I thought there were four discs? Surely you're passed disc 2??
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I thought there were four discs? Surely you're passed disc 2??

Nope only 3. Nearing the end of Disc 2 I think.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Zero Time Dilemma on Vita.  One of the oddest games I've ever played.  I played for 90 minutes before being faced with anything other than 50/50 choices (and terrible dialogue), and now I'm in a room with a strict solution procedure that requires far more thought than your standard first-real-puzzle stuff.
  • AJ wrote:
    danclarke wrote:
    Subsurface Circular Heard good things and I really like the premise but the interface is really jarring IMO so I’m struggling to get through It.
    What do you find so jarring about it?

ss_daf5a0ce5126f16d1f065f8d9a34aeaed7583e85.1920x1080.jpg?t=1502989061

I'm struggling to put my finger on the exact reason, but I just find it quite exhausting to look at. As a 'text adventure' you spend most of your time focussing on the script, and I appreciate the idea that it's viewed more like a log, but I think the overlay on the scene just doesn't work for me.
  • Fair enough. I felt it worked quite well, but I was playing on Switch in portable which probably affects this, particularly with the way the background perspective moves with the device while the overlay remains static
  • Tempest 4000 on PC.  GmG are doing a 20% voucher so that's £12.39.

Visually it gets more crazy than TxK but still not as good as Space Giraffe (which most people hated).

Plays nicely.
  • Jet Set Radio (w10)

What an inspired gem of a game yet so flawed in execution.
    Basically a straight port from the Dreamcast, audiovisually the game is a treat to behold with superior presentation to the dreamcast original. Higher res visuals with AA support look stunning on a modern pc monitor. Sound is great too and the game plays exactly like I remember including all its flaws.

The major flaw of the game is basically how it controls. The controls are a bit too arcadey, too floaty and too imprecise to be really engagng in 2018. It's still enjoyable to navigate the game's environments but you keep having that nagging feeling the controls should and must be tighter. Too many obviously missed jumps start to grate after a while. There's also a lack of tony hawk style combos and tricks. Why? This was somewhat half-heartedly addressed in the semi-sequel jsr future but I'll leave that for another post. Due to above flaws the game lacks a bit of depth in its gameplay hook which is a crying shame.

Other than that the game is a fascinating experiment of imagination running wild.
    The whole presentation is outstanding and the level design inspired. Professor K, the gg's, the rival gangs, the soundtrack, they all scream quality. The way the characters dance and bop to the music is a sight to behold. Shame they didn't incorparate b-boy/b-girl dance battles into the game, could've been an interesting diversion.
    I also like the open level designs. This really should be an open world game where levels flow organically into one other but due to this being originally a Dreamcast game I guess this wasn't technically feasible at the time. Still, level design is nice and varied with more inter-connectedness than I expected.

This ip is seriously screaming for an update. A true sequel that addresses all the original's faults; tighter controls, a true fleshed out trick/graffiti system, b-boy/b-girl battles, a fully open world to explore with more rival gangs and missions, a better fleshed out story. It's unlikely we'll ever see a sequel as both jsr and jsrf seriously underperformed in the charts and publishers don't like taking risks. It'll take a very, very brave developer to pick up the challenge of doing another jsr game.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The original didn’t gel for me. I felt the game lacked the flow of Future, which I loved and is the game I hope they remaster on all platforms.
  • Agreed, jsrf flowed better than the original but imo still suffers the same fundamental faults. The controls and jumping could be more precise, much tighter and the implemented trick system is a bit weak. The world and level design in jsrf is much bigger and open but the game would really benefit if it moved to a true open world design. Also, still no b-boy/b-girl dance battles.

In short, the gameplay hook in jsrf is still a bit weak. I do like the better flow and the visual overhaul tho' but if the series really wants to move forward and break into the mainstream it needs a more precise and engaging platforming/grind/trick system and mission structure. The gameplay hook is what counts most.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Is any of this purely modern game mechanic expectations overlaid onto a retro game design principle. TBH, I have not played the JSRF since the Xbox days, but I don't recall it being worse than any other games that were out at the time. 

In this instance I think nostalgia is bliss, perhaps it's not great now, but my memories of it are nothing but positive.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!