myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Anyone still have memories of the Dragon Quest IX battle mechanics?

I'm a couple hours in (just met the Wight Knight) and I can recruit party members now. Since this doesn't seem to be story related characters, what's the best way to go about this? I've chosen 4 different classes, but I picked the default ones, not made any myself.

Just a shame I realized too late that I should have renamed Chilton to Stilton, as my avatar's called Cheese. Would have made the game even funnier. And funkier, which is the auto correct being funny.
  • Just stick with the same characters throughout. You can make more and swap around, but there's no need. There's a point later on where you can change classes, which you'll end up doing a lot, but for now just make sure you've got a decent balance, which probably includes a priest and a warrior or martial artist.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    I played it on NES too which was a real bitch as it didn't save.
    That sounds dreadful and I can imagine a fair proportion of people never finished it.

The warp whistles are the saving grace.

Also if you get a game over and continue, the mini-fortresses and gates remain open even though levels reset.

But aye - it really needed a password system at least.

I completed a warpless run through one Saturday afternoon and it took several hours. The feeling of achievement was mixed with the shame of spending an entire Saturday afternoon doing it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    @JonB yeah I've read some "tips for playing dqix" and they all mentioned the class system. I'm not there yet so it doesn't make sense.

I do have a priest and a martial artist I think, plus another magic kinda class. Will double check later, but good to know I can stick with these.

Don't think I've played another game that introduced your party as some randoms you can order at the Inn. Was a bit surprised by that. Feels weird to run around with them while they haven't had any relation to the story (yet? Who knows).

I'm still waiting for the game to open up more, but I'm enjoying it a lot so far.
  • They're never part of the story at all. Just there to help in battle. It's because it's made for multiplayer, so they take the place of other players.

It's fine though. I really like the story in it because it focuses on the NPCs, the ordinary folk you meet as well as the other key characters. You have all these separate stories but they're linked by themes rather than by your party's adventures.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Stupidly started Bloodstained on Gamepass tonight because I didn't have a million other things half started but by god this is a rather grand little game.
  • After flitting between games for a while, including another bash at the absolutely sublime Astro Bot last night, I've settled on Yooka Laylee in the Impossible Lair. Solid stuff, early days but it feels like the best 2D platformer since Tropical Freeze.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    You what mate? TF was barely a local maximum, there've been squillions better before and since.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    After flitting between games for a while, including another bash at the absolutely sublime Astro Bot last night, I've settled on Yooka Laylee in the Impossible Lair. Solid stuff, early days but it feels like the best 2D platformer since Tropical Freeze.

Nice one.
    I watched a couple of reviews that compared it to DKC and a few saying they preferred it.

You know there is a Tonic (and achievement) for doing The Impossible Layer right off the bat.
    The Completionist did it but it took him about 60 hours.
  • Moot certainly knows how to make a game sound not-that-good.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Tropical Freeze was quality, played a much tighter game than the Raymen. Avoid the new Yooka Laylee if you don't consider the Retro Studios DKC titles to be chef's kiss platformers, it's an unabashed homage.

I was going to put 'retail platformers' up there, but then I realised there probably haven't been any others since and couldn't be arsed to change the rest of the sentence. Celeste and The End is Nigh get a shout, otherwise nope not since, Tropical Freeze was a banger.
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    Just jumping around and having a fun old time in the colourful worlds of:
    BOTW
    GEARS 5 (so boring but lovely to look at)
    Control (here and there) - the shooty throwing things combat is class and it’s so linear but non linear!
    Forza horizon 4 - just so relaxing.
    rest less
  • Yooka watch. This is really good, you're in for a treat when you get hold of it live. It's missing the co-op that was so well implemented in recent DKC games, but as a sp thing it's grand. I didnt like the sound of the overworld sections but they're fine too. You'll have no problems on Bone I'm sure, but aside from huge loading times the Switch version seems quite fancypants. Smooth and shiny. I expect this to infiltrate my GotY list.
  • Awesome, yeah the reviews got me hyped.
    I'm just trying to budget a bit at the moment, otherwise I would have picked it up.
  • I got Lonely Mountains: Downhill for PS4. Its also out on PC, Mac, and XB1. It’s pretty simple and straightforward, and for that reason it is excellent. It relies on its physics, and controls, and they’re spot on (although I’m not sure why it selects screen direction rather than left/right as default).
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    My lad is looking forward to that, he's been enjoying Descenders too. It's on Gamepass soon so I'll hold off buying it.
  • I'll try it only because it's the closest thing I'll get to a new Dave Mirra BMX.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    It's on there now, just noticed.
  • Zelda links awakening- it’s a bit meh
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg

Mine is still in  it's wrapper of shame.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • I've been enjoying Grid. Enough of a challenge to keep making progress, and gives that edge of the seat "NYAAHHHHHHHH" sensation of tension or if you fuck up. Haven't experienced that for a while.
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    I've been enjoying Grid. Enough of a challenge to keep making progress, and gives that edge of the seat "NYAAHHHHHHHH" sensation of tension or if you fuck up. Haven't experienced that for a while.

Really looking forward to this
    The Forum Herald™

It sounded inevitable that a gameboy game would be
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    I've been enjoying Grid. Enough of a challenge to keep making progress, and gives that edge of the seat "NYAAHHHHHHHH" sensation of tension or if you fuck up. Haven't experienced that for a while.
    Really looking forward to this

I was playing for a bit last night again. A fantastic sensation of speed from the bumper cam, and the handling is fantastic too. I even let out a "BASTARD!" when somebody spun me off when I was in the lead.

I had a quick blast at the online multiplayer, and one race was using tuned Mazda RX7's. Jesus christ, they were fast and felt super light. A real noticeable difference in the handling of them.

It's gorgeous too. Absolutely gorgeous.
  • I’m deffo in I’m just gonna wait for the inevitable sub £30 price drop
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    I’m deffo in I’m just gonna wait for the inevitable sub £30 price drop

Go on, you know you're worth it...
  • Does Enter the Gungeon get better? I've done what are essentially the same first few levels a few times now. I've unlocked some guns that are apparently going to start showing up. Is that it? Just start the game with the same pea shooter everytime, die early and repeat?

Really I'm after some permanent health upgrades or something here.
  • Well, you get better at it. There are guaranteed health upgrades on each run if you beat bosses without getting hit, but nothing permanent.

Honestly though, it's not the greatest Roguelike of this type. Too big an item pool and too little variety in levels/enemies. And yeah, starting with the pea shooter every time gets old.
  • I can’t see myself sticking with it. Its decent but not really strong enough to keep asking you to start from scratch each time. Maybe if you could get powered up quickly each time and just plough through the early stages, but it doesn’t look like it works that way.
  • There are shortcuts to unlock, a bit like Spelunky. But even that isn't good enough IMO. The conditions for unlocking them are harsh and you only get 1 extra gun for starting on a higher floor, which is often insufficient.

I've always said, I enjoyed it a lot for a while, so I can't be too down on it, but it did get stale eventually and has some clear flaws.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!