Currently Playing
  • I honestly hope you breeze it, maybe take a friend in and enjoy.
    It was a full stop on the game for me and I was really enjoying the game as well.
  • Spider-Man.

I actually had some time today cos I cancelled gym and going out cos I was feeling lethargic and a bit down. Spent a bit of time with the Boy on his crap Marvel Alliance game on the Switch then he watched me play Spider-Man on PS4. 

It is glorious.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I had a blast on Lonely Mountains: Downhill over the weekend. It’s great fun, looks pretty lush too. I can certainly see how it would become addictive with the leaderboards and challenges. Reminded me a bit of Trials.

I think the controls and camera angles let it down at times though. Controls don’t seem quite precise enough, though might just need more time. The camera is more of an issue as I found it was sometimes tricky to gauge depth of field and therefore your position relative to obstacles and such. A few points where the path is blocked by scenery too.

I'll stick with it for a bit longer anyway.
  • Just reached what feels like the last major area in Guac 2.  Good game, better than the original for sure but it still feels a bit like its fallen down the back of the top drawer.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Spider-Man.

I actually had some time today cos I cancelled gym and going out cos I was feeling lethargic and a bit down. Spent a bit of time with the Boy on his crap Marvel Alliance game on the Switch then he watched me play Spider-Man on PS4. 

It is glorious.

That Marvel thing no good is it? I've been playing the Lego Marvel one with Nate, it's excruciatingly bad.
  • It’s not great. There are many unfair difficulty spikes and I have to always help him now in the later stages. I mean it’s not bad and he is enjoying it. Just not something I’m enjoying with him!

Past co-op games for us have been DK and Rayman and also Mario so they are hard acts to follow though. :)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Sounds very similar to what bugs me about this Lego game. Obtuse puzzle solutions, parts of which are obvious and accessable but do nothing until you've done some unrelated thing. It's bad enough when we're playing together but then you get the dreaded "Dad I'm stuck!" shout when he's playing solo and I've not got a clue what's going on and he starts backseat gaming me while I'm trying all sorts of random crap out.
  • I really enjoyed my first play through of MUA3, which was a Captain Marvel / Black Widow / Scarlet Witch / Gamora run. As various new characters arrived, I thought, “Ooh, I want to do a GotG run, I want to do a Defenders run, I want to do an Avengers run,” and so on and so forth. But, when I went back to play again, it wasn’t doing it for me.

I think, essentially, the story carried it the first time. It’s not the most inventive story, but the characters are coming thick and fast, and the scripts are snappy, with decent voice acting. I don’t think the gameplay is strong enough for me to do back-to-back playthroughs. I also find the levelling-up a little stingey, and the multiple in-game currencies a bit of a head-fuck.

It’s just had a substantial update, including raising the level cap from 100 to 150 (I think one playthrough got my characters up to about 40-50) which apparently the fans were asking for, so some people must be playing it a helluva lot. I can only begin to imagine how much some people must be playing it to have all the characters maxed out.
  • I've often wondered if I'd like Clustertruck. Thanks to gamepass I now know I definitely do not. Played the first ten stages and I'm out.
  • Played half an hour of Outland after ditching Clustertruck.  Early outlook: extremely promising, very keen on the way the character controls so far. Better late than never.  Still looks impressive too.
  • I'm nearing the end of Resident Evil 4. For a nearly 15 year old game(!) it holds up well, no wonder it blew minds at the time. Including mine.

It's still really tense at points. There's a genius to not being able to move and shoot, combined with your lack of peripheral vision and the twitchy aiming. While the physics and graphics show their age the atmosphere is still great and the sound design is brilliant. There are lots of standout sections I'd forgotten and it makes the most of what are pretty small locations, with clever hidden routes and secrets. 

And it's a big game, I'm ten hours in with a few to go. I'd happily buy a Resident Evil 2 style remake and play through it all again. Might give the HD PC version a whirl when they've finished it.

Cógedlo, cógedlo, cógedlo...
  • you know they've remade Resi 2??
    The Forum Herald™
  • I think he meant if they remade 4 it like they've remade 2 he'd play it again.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I think he meant if they remade 4 it like they've remade 2 he'll play it again.

Yes that makes more sense.. and yes I'd play that too.. I loved it on Wii about five years ago but somehow the game has moved on and it feels properly dated now.

The Witcher though continues to delight in replaying on Switch. It's a masterclass in porting especially on the small screen where the menus are against the odds great.

It has to be one of the great vocal games performaces of all time in gaming that's not Nolan North (it's not him is it?). I fucking love the cutscenes in this and I love thinking through my conversational choices.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Genuinely curious about what you found dated, Bob? 

I don't necessarily disagree, the graphics and physics are tired, especially when you're faced with four villagers with the same face and clothes. But I feel the controls add to the tension (though a button for grenades would be a notable improvement).

Worst bit so far has been the sliding-block puzzle.
  • 15 years, man. 15 years. Where did my life go?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sigh. RE4 is another one in my pile of shame.  I didn't get on with RE2 but liked the look of 4.

Was a GC purchase which was abandoned for reasons unknown. I gave it to a nephew as part of a complete GC RE boxset and have the Wii version which I hear is very good.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • trippy wrote:
    Genuinely curious about what you found dated, Bob?  I don't necessarily disagree, the graphics and physics are tired, especially when you're faced with four villagers with the same face and clothes. But I feel the controls add to the tension (though a button for grenades would be a notable improvement). Worst bit so far has been the sliding-block puzzle.

The button for grenades, the item management, like i spend so much time sorting things into the neat boxes, pressing buttons to go up and down ladders, do you want to use this? I'm pretty sure you can't quick swap weapons, The whole thing just feels a bit clunky now.. plus its quite stop starty.. it just feels primitive to something like uncharted which clearly owes a lot too it.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I may be weird but I actually like the inventory management. I can't think of another game where that's true, I think it scratches the Tetris itch. The other stuff doesn't bother me much but a quick swap would be useful. Nine hours in I'd go for utilitarian over clunky, but definitely lacking a little finesse.
  • It weirdly didn't bother me on Wii where the Amazing wii-mote was amazing. I was so looking forward to replaying it on Switch. Maybe that has something to do with it. Never re-visit your heroes.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Item inventory is a key part of the fun of this game. The look (and imagined feel) of that case, ooh.
  • I think the Switch versions use the IR controls like the Wii version of 4 did for what it's worth.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • In it’s defense four really is a massively different game to the previous 3. There’s a lot I still love
    The Forum Herald™
  • Galak Z on Switch. A roguelike I liked the look of but avoided due to its rogueness. Trailer revealed that it has an arranged arcade mode available from the off so I parted with the £3.50 for some twin stick shmup action. I'm enjoying it and it's well suited to handheld play, but it's tough. I'd imagine it'd wipe the floor with me without the ability to save between stages.
  • I feel like I've played a lot of smaller stuff recently and want something substantial to get stuck into. Something I could get lost in for hours. But then I realise that the only thing that really fits the bill is a From game, and I've already played all those. I wish I could play Dark Souls fresh all over again.
  • *whispers* destiny is f2p *whispers*
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I bought Ori and the Blind Forest in the end. It may not last that long, but a decent Metroidvania is always easy to get stuck into.
  • Good choice. It's not hollow knight long, but it's not 5 hours either.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Under three months till the sequel too
  • Sequel is in with a shout for Best Thing Ever if it plays its cards right.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!