Currently Playing
  • Still enjoying Skulls of the Shogun on Switch. It's back on sale I think, might be one for @dinostar77
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Kind of feels like we've hit that point this year where the big games are hampered performance wise on current consoles, at least the base versions anyway. I can already see things like Cyberpunk next year not being worth the bother on PS4. Might be waiting for the inevitable rereleases on next gen machines at the end of the year.

Absolutely. To be fair though it's felt like that for awhile, at least for me. I couldn't believe the difference with Destiny 2 from the X to PC (and a mid-range PC at that). I've rendered my sentiments vocal before but 60fps just absolutely needs to be standard next gen on console. 

Fallen Order looks nice and has great sky boxes but it's not like it's seamless or hugely taxing from what I can see. Yet it still runs like muck even on performance mode.

:(
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Jumping between Luigi's Mansion 3, Destiny 2 and Dragon Quest IX.

Just unlocked the vocation system. This is why I shouldn't be allowed to play rpg's. I'm gonna spend way too much time trying to max out as much as possible.
    Am surprised by how good the writing / translation is in this game. It's just such a light hearted experience, puns everywhere. I just met the guy who you have to give the mini medals, I enjoyed that situation.

Are other DQ's like this too? I understand now this one is a bit of an exception, as it has a multiplayer focus and expects you to play it with three others.
  • Played the demo of dq and couldn’t get the hype - it seems very antiquated perhaps this is because I have played divinity 2 and disco elysium back to back
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    You think that's antiquated, imagine how I feel playing through Secret Of Mana.
  • Like a true gamer, with a big fat smile on your face. Best soundtrack.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Absolutely.
  • Darksiders 3. It's like Dark Souls without the atmosphere and the mystery and the stamina bar. So really, whats the point?
  • Minit.

I like it!
  • Was breezing through Skulls of the Shogun and expected to finish it last night but the final stage (?) has decimated my pathetic undead rabble half a dozen times already.  Really fucking hard, to the point where I can't see how to force a win.

Top stuff though.
  • Nina wrote:
    Jumping between Luigi's Mansion 3, Destiny 2 and Dragon Quest IX. Just unlocked the vocation system. This is why I shouldn't be allowed to play rpg's. I'm gonna spend way too much time trying to max out as much as possible. Am surprised by how good the writing / translation is in this game. It's just such a light hearted experience, puns everywhere. I just met the guy who you have to give the mini medals, I enjoyed that situation. Are other DQ's like this too? I understand now this one is a bit of an exception, as it has a multiplayer focus and expects you to play it with three others.

DQs vary but they're often very similar:

1. the writing / translation, especially in the modern ones and remakes, is consistently good.
    2. They don't all have job systems. 5 does (I think), 7 does and 9 does. Generally speaking, a DQ game will remove something from the prev game and add a new mechanic. So, they're very similar, but also unique.
    3. Other systems are present in games like 8 and 11 - they have set classes but allow you to pour points into certain skills at level up.
  • Dragon's Dogma at the moment. It's good fun. But rough around the edges, of course, but it's just the sort of thing I feel like playing right now, and I'm happy to keep plugging away at it for the next couple of weeks.
  • Tried the new Gears. I've never been huge on it, maybe my peak was 2 launch weekend, but I've never gotten fully on with that franchises' rhythm. The walky talky bits, the speed, the default reticule speed, the reload mechanism, it all adds up to a soup I can't really swallow for too long.

Ho hum. Can save space on the HDD now. Thanks, Game Pass.
  • Completed the first two on Insane in co-op with someone on here.. forget who now.. Clearly not you Gav.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I loved Gears 5. But then again i love all of them
  • PLAYSTATION VITA

Almost forgot I had one of these!  With the Switch out it has lost a little of its coolness, like it seems a lot lower resolution than I remember and games don't look quite as good as I thought.  But it really does feel like a premium machine and looks a lot less goofy than my neon Switch.

Except I have a cracked screen!  This must have happened in a house move.  Oh well.  The cost of a repair now is almost as much as a second hand machine would be to buy.  

Anyway I'm going to play Persona 4 and Strangers Wraith, and maybe a couple of others.  But so far I've just been revisiting Everybody's Golf.  Even if it is a bit jaggy and the online no longer exists it still plays a mean game of golf.  It's pleasant and bright and it makes me really really want a big Mario Golf on switch.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Mario Golf on Switch is my dream, and Vita was almost my dream machine. So many fantastic little games, I was a latecomer but the Vita was an all-timer for me.
  • At this point I’d settle for a pga for switch
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yeah it's such a slick little machine.  Would love to see that rumoured Switch Pro really happen and take a few design cues from it.

And yeah, no excuse for no Switch Mario Golf!  It's the perfect fit that needs to happen.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Mario Tennis lacked a few bells and whistles when it arrived, but plenty of content has been added since. Golf could be a nice little earner for dlc packs. Makes sense to me anyway, plus it strikes me as the the sort 'AA' type release they could announce and get on the shelves within a year.
  • Started DMC5 last night. A lot of fun - especially after the seriousness of Bloodborne.

I've got to the first 'proper' boss and am getting a bit bashed about. Without too many spoliers, is this game balanced towards spending red orbs on continues? Or should I be pumping them all into upgrades?

I'm playing the devil hunter difficulty and completed dmc 1 and 3 without using continue orbs - so the concept of spending red orbs to continue is new to me and I'm definitely a natural currency miser.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • I barely used them, Continues fuck with your score, which is rude.
  • Which reminds me I really need to start DMC V. Stupid pesky GamePass.
  • If I can be bothered to do one it’ll end up on my GotY list I reckon, which is largely fuelled by the fact I played sweet FA
  • Tempy wrote:
    If I can be bothered to do one it’ll end up on my GotY list I reckon, which is largely fuelled by the fact I played sweet FA

Was gonna say it's not very good and surely you played better games.
    Anyway I'm only just on my first part where I can choose who I want to be.
    It's just not grabbing me at all though and seems less as good as every other day from memory and I'm not even sure why.
  • No I think DMCV is fucking excellent, but I just haven’t played a lot of the other games this year that might have contested a near perfect DMC game, of which i’ve played two of prior. I tend to like my lists shaken up a little, but this year it’s probably Sekiro, DMCV and Resi 2.

I enjoyed every second of my DMCV playthrough though, Dante in V troubles Bayonetta for the options and fun you can have with him - Royal Guard is a strong enough mechanic to carry a whole game, and he has three other styles to boot. If Sekiro is an exercise in action purity, DMCV is the best kind of excess.
  • My only gripe with the game was somewhat weaker 3rd character and the environments.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yeah the environments were naff but also who cares! Royal Guard!
  • Tempy wrote:
    I barely used them, Continues fuck with your score, which is rude.

So basically just upgrade everything?

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Started The Touryst
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!