Currently Playing
  • Tempy wrote:
    I barely used them, Continues fuck with your score, which is rude.

So basically just upgrade everything?

Yup
  • Pedro. It's very good, but the set of levels I'm on now feel like sub-standard homebrew stages someone knocked up to kill time.
  • Alien Isolation - there really isn’t much hand-holding in this one, is there? Because the map layout is so complex from the get-go, I haven’t been able to nail down the systems just yet. More slapstick, than steathy so far, which really detracts from the tone its trying to set.

I really miss the purity of MGS1’s vision cone system too. Since then, stealth games have been a diminishing return for me. How can I gauge the distance an enemy can see me from? If I peek around a corner, does the enemy always see me?
    3DS friend code: 2809-8024-1882
    AC: New Leaf: James (Ardis) 
    Wii U: BennyProfane
    Switch: SW-4893-5168-5693
  • I quite like it in MGSV, detection mostly feels quite realistic and is thus easy to guage.
  • I persevered with MGS3 because the paired-back UI was still relatively new. I’d lost all my patience by the time V came round - never felt in control. Being spotted felt random, even after my most carefully laid plans.
    3DS friend code: 2809-8024-1882
    AC: New Leaf: James (Ardis) 
    Wii U: BennyProfane
    Switch: SW-4893-5168-5693
  • Just finished New Super Mario Bros U on the Switch last night. Yeah, pretty good all around, though something bugs me about it not just being called Mario 4/5/6 whatever. Seems like a cop out for them putting the reputation of the series on the line. Still, rather enjoyable.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Demons Tilt.
    Damn it's been so long since I've had a go of a pinball game that wasn't either designed to be a DLC mover via tables, or some ftp mobile nonsense. This is just very intricately designed, super intense and loud, laser focused on being a great pinball game first.

But anyway, why is it I post my highest score on my first go and now just can't get anywhere near it. Maybe I just suck.
  • I got Luigi's Mansion 3 the other day and it is fucking wonderful. So full of joy and some of the best animation I've ever seen in a game. It's *almost* as cute as Yoshi's Crafted World to boot!
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Halo Reach campaign. Gosh darn it is good
  • Djornson wrote:
    Halo Reach campaign. Gosh darn it is good

It really is.  I'm playing through it solo and co-op on PC and loving every second.  That Bungie gunplay, the level design, the story, the cutscenes, the atmosphere.  Fuck I've missed this.
  • I rinsed it on Easy the other night. Just wanted a reminder of the story.
    It is definitely one of the best campaigns, up there with 3 but without the bullshit.
  • Ha i just completed on Heroic :D didn't find it too much trouble, i'm sure CE, 2 and 3 are much harder on Heroic.
  • Well you dont have to do Flood crap so that helps.
    Halo 2 is definitely the hardest imho.
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    Just finished New Super Mario Bros U on the Switch last night. Yeah, pretty good all around, though something bugs me about it not just being called Mario 4/5/6 whatever. Seems like a cop out for them putting the reputation of the series on the line. Still, rather enjoyable.

Should have called it New Super Mario World and updated the graphics accordingly. There's a great game hidden behind the now tired looking New Bros style.

It really bugs me, and it's title on Switch sounds like a rough translation of a Japanese 90s anime.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Ah, my "Reach = best campaign thanks to the lack of Flood and pretty much self contained story with a satisfying ending" mantra has already been covered. Cheers gents.

Thinking about it, Reach is the Rogue One of the Halo universe innit? Except they pulled it off with Reach where R1 is a bit of a mess.
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    Just finished New Super Mario Bros U on the Switch last night. Yeah, pretty good all around, though something bugs me about it not just being called Mario 4/5/6 whatever. Seems like a cop out for them putting the reputation of the series on the line. Still, rather enjoyable.
    Should have called it New Super Mario World and updated the graphics accordingly. There's a great game hidden behind the now tired looking New Bros style. It really bugs me, and it's title on Switch sounds like a rough translation of a Japanese 90s anime.
    Yes, agreed. I think they called it that to avoid having to stand it up beside the greats.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've only played New SMB Wii which I enjoyed quite a bit. I've never found all the large coins though.

The multi-player is absurd but it's a good laugh in a family setup.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Guacamelee 2
    Why didn't I play this before? Good lord, this is a riot. Cracking game. Frustrating platformy bits aside, I'm really really enjoying it.

Yet another one for Game Pass giving me the goods. What a time.
  • Madden 19 is taking up my time lately. I finally found the bit in the settings that would take care of all the extra bumf in Franchise mode, and let me just play games. I also found the bit in settings to slow the game down a bit, so I have time to actually see what’s going on. I’m sticking with the approach I’ve had a few years now; let the game suggest defensive plays, while I pick all the offensive plays.

In non-sporting games, on PS4 I’ve been playing Diablo III for the first time ever. It’s much more immediate than I had been expecting, feeling more like Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance than I had expected, which is a good thing. A great thing, in fact. I’m playing as a Necromancer; I wanted my usual hack and slash, but I also wanted some magic, so it’s great. My favourite skill is exploding corpses. Kill a couple of enemies, make them explode, killing more enemies, leaving more corpses to explode, you get some brilliant chains going.

On Switch I’m bouncing between a few games (research for the GotY thread reminded me of a few) but trying to focus on Space Pioneer and Immortal Planet, which is fucking tough.
  • Pushing on with Everybody's Golf on my cracked-screen Vita, and it's still the perfect handheld game.  You can easily watch light entertainment/sports or listen to music and podcasts without losing much of either.  Will try and do all the challenges and unlock everyone.

Other than that, Persona 3!  Wow they really nailed the format, aesthetics and spirit with this game.  Will try and take my time with this.

Playing it on PS3, think new hardware has spoiled me.  I contemplated just not playing it because you have to leave the PS3 on to charge the controller, and the controller cable can't reach my couch.  How did we live like this?
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Playing through Shovel Knight on my switch and blimey it’s a bit good!

Perfect for pick up and play retro platforming goodness.

Also started Pathologic 2 thanks to Game Pass. Played the first on pc yonks ago and remember it being an impenetrable mess but dripping with intrigue and atmosphere
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Guacamelee 2
    Why didn't I play this before? Good lord, this is a riot. Cracking game. Frustrating platformy bits aside, I'm really really enjoying it.

Yet another one for Game Pass giving me the goods. What a time.

I played that this summer and is probably my goty. I really loved the whole thing. Re-engaged me with my home Mexican cooking too!
  • I liked it a lot but didn't quite love it.  It gets better as it goes along though, so if you're enjoying it already you're compatible.
  • Got the Arkham Knight DLC the other night. Did the Mad Hatter bit. Not substantial really but some fun character moments. I *liked* the game when I got the PS4 for it, but if I'm being honest I was disappointed that I didn't love it. This was mainly down to the Batmobile stuff, but subsequent playthroughs have led me to appreciating how good a game it is, and I can confidently say now that I do love the hell out of it. Just took a while to grow on me!
  • Monthly Saturday off today.  Instead of 'wasting' it by having a lie in, I set my alarm anyway and got up early to play gamepass games.  

Lonely Mountains Downhill.  Got up to the second descent on the second mountain.  Had it downloaded for a month or so and was hoping to like it.  Turns out I love it.  Depending on how silly the difficulty gets towards the end this is likely to knock one or two games off my GotY list.

Mortal Kombat X.  Was planning to save myself for 11 but free is free.  Haven't played one properly (i.e for more than ten minutes) since no.II so I don't know who half the characters are, but the story bits and brief fights are enjoyable.  I've played Shenmue III for a couple of hours now and I've yet to see a choreographed QTE dust up, so was pleased to see them in this.  Button prompt stuff is sniffed at by many, and sure, it's ultra basic interaction for the sake of interaction, but I'd rather press A a few times during an on screen cinematic than sit back for 40 minutes while Kojima spoonfeeds glittery turds into my eyeballs.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    On fine form this morning Mootsy.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    How can one game knock two off your goty list?
  • Classic Moot
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!