Currently Playing
  • What happened to Outland?

That plate is still spinning but I need Switch games to entertain myself during my hours of downtime at work.  It's a keeper though, I enjoyed what I played.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Still tippin' away with Star Wars. Kinda see where the Metroid comparisons are coming from now. Performance seems to be all over the place on the X, anyone else have any issues?
  • It's all over the place on the S.
    I'm not really sure why it struggles so much. It looks good but nothing ground breaking.
    Wookies look awful.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Blurgh. I was buzzing about this game but the general impressing I'm getting is it's a bit of mess overall, and had Rise of Skywalker not come out, could have done with 6 months in the oven. Thoughts?
  • Nah I wouldn't say so.
    It suffers graphical issues definitely but the game itself is great.
    Good set pieces, some great characters, interesting gameplay mechanics with a bit more depth than say Tomb Raider. Combat is becoming something that needs to be considered for me now, it's not just about spamming powers and lightsabers like Force Unleashed.

The Wookies really do look bad though.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    He's let himself go since he stopped teaching boxercise.
  • C&C made it seem like a good 7-8/10 yarn that struggles with the Western thing of just not quite nailing the very nearly excellent combat, but they mentioned the performance issues as being a real thing across all platforms.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    It's all over the place on the S.
    I'm not really sure why it struggles so much. It looks good but nothing ground breaking.
    Wookies look awful.

Well screw you, I’m tired alright?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Lol
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Sparky beat me to a joke
  • Kind of feels like we've hit that point this year where the big games are hampered performance wise on current consoles, at least the base versions anyway. I can already see things like Cyberpunk next year not being worth the bother on PS4. Might be waiting for the inevitable rereleases on next gen machines at the end of the year.
  • Anyway, still on Ori and the Blind Forest right now. Hit the 3rd and presumably final chase sequence and it's a right pain in the hole. I didn't mind the first two much either. This one has a habit of killing you before you know what's going on, forcing you to redo everything up to there again, hoping you manage to figure it out next time. It's a bit of a blot on what's otherwise been pretty great.
  • Yep. I got through them, but they aren't the best.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I say this every time they're mentioned and I'm in the minority but I loved the chases. The one with the crumbling rocks was the weakest, bit I'd happily play a challenge mode that contained a load more.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Hammering the shit out of Red Dead 2. It's a masterpiece.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Go to the Matriarch yet?

Killed her 3rd try. Tough for a Gears a game but felt kind of like a Dark Souls boss, just learn the trick and repeat, don't make a mistake.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I say this every time they're mentioned and I'm in the minority but I loved the chases. The one with the crumbling rocks was the weakest, bit I'd happily play a challenge mode that contained a load more.
    Done now. There wasn't much more fortunately. It's irritating I think because the final bit relies on a touch of luck and having to keep repeating until everything lines up is a drag.

It's one of few minor complaints in an overall great experience regardless.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Wonder of the sequel will repeat them. I'm guessing so, but less brutally.
  • The only trailer I've seen is full of clips of Ori being chased by big beasties, so maybe they've really gone all out with them...
  • If they put a minecart level in I might combust.
  • Hope they don’t, it’ll remind me of that Donkey Kong Country rubbish
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • JonB, my criticisms of the game were the 2nd and 3rd chase sequences (requiring memory more than skill), oddly placed difficulty spikes in the main game, and just a feeling of padding towards the end.

With relatively minor complaints such as some of the skills in the skill tree having no impact until you find the actual skill in the game (a screw up when they made the definitive edition or something like that, according to the devs), dpad foobarred when using a ds4, annoying stutters (Unity again) which caused precision platforming to be an issue when trying to go quickly through the map (not a significant issue but noticeable from time to time).

I mean I 100%’ed it so it wasn’t terrible but it would have been amazing if it had ended after the 1st escape sequence.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Hammering the shit out of Red Dead 2. It's a masterpiece.

Moar pictures.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    JonB, my criticisms of the game were the 2nd and 3rd chase sequences (requiring memory more than skill), oddly placed difficulty spikes in the main game, and just a feeling of padding towards the end. With relatively minor complaints such as some of the skills in the skill tree having no impact until you find the actual skill in the game (a screw up when they made the definitive edition or something like that, according to the devs), dpad foobarred when using a ds4, annoying stutters (Unity again) which caused precision platforming to be an issue when trying to go quickly through the map (not a significant issue but noticeable from time to time). I mean I 100%’ed it so it wasn’t terrible but it would have been amazing if it had ended after the 1st escape sequence.
    I can't say I have any issue with the size of it. The final level is as good as anything and the pacing of introducing new powers then giving you room to exploit them is pretty much spot on.

I gave up on the d-pad early on. It's certainly no good for the bash function when you're trying to launch off objects at precise angles. Definitely a game made with analogue in mind. I do think the control is slightly off overall though - just a bit too twitchy and oversensitive. Visually it's also too busy at times, making it difficult to pick out hazards.

I may as well take this to the 52 games thread now anyway.
  • Seems like there's a good chunk of Ori left to do. Found a whole new area which I'm guessing was DLC originally.
  • Moon Studios has been working on the sequel for quite a while. I doubt I'm alone in hoping for something spectacular. If they iron out the kinks and push on with the foundations laid by Blind Forest it'd take some beating for GotY 2020. I love the twitchy controls, nimbleness is key.
  • Borderlands 3 (free for the weekend on xbone) - it looks incredible
  • 100% of Ori map done. Mostly a collectathon to finish up at the end, but worth it all the same. And that's enough of that. I like that there's an achievement for finishing it without dying. I'm sure someone will have done it, but it's a bit optimistic of them, I think.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!