Currently Playing
  • Tempy wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Melting my noggin playing Outer Wilds. Haven’t a clue what I am doing.

Haven’t a fucking clue what I am doing with this. Spent 3 hours on it... and it’s ultra hands off

You're looking for something to get your nails under. Until you stumble upon something specific to investigate you're mostly just aimlessly exploring. Christ knows how the hell I managed to love it.
  • Yeah I remember playing the demo, what... 8 years ago now? Quite impressive how much has stayed the same, but they’ve added an actual narrative to the sandbox now.

I’ve visited every planet and tinkered with things, but struggled with a lot. Some stuff is utterly beyond me, like the Quantum Moon, but I suppose I’ll get there? Don’t really have an issue with flying though, which is a relief. Do we have a thread?
  • Tending to jump around stuff waiting for things to stick.

Lonely Mountain is lovely when I want tunes in the background. Ara can actually play it too.

Getting to bottom of first mountain is perfect balance for her.

Blasphemous seems good. May stick with.

Hard rain: hmmm, maybe, not quite. We'll see.

Void bastards: solid. We'll see how they build it. (try Cryptark for nearly the same thing in 2d side scroller land)

Even with all that free pathologic 2 on game pass had me curious. Hbomreguy did a 2 hour vid on why it's amazing, haven't watched it yet, but that level of being able to even talk about a game has me curious. (from a guy who makes decent stuff and is actually thoughtful, as opposed to a "what's up guys" Muppet.)

Did about 30 minutes. There's a bunch of interesting stuff going on, and some good choices in design. Willing to give it a longer shot. Anyone else?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • His video is interesting (watched the whole thing), but I'll be fucked if I'm playing the game.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Patholigic 2 also isn't the game he's talking about in the video. I gather there are substantial differences. Bollo is yet man to talk to.
  • Interesting. So I could watch and not really spoil anything?
  • P2 is a retelling of P by the same people so... you’d probably spoil a lot
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Love the original, haven't really done much in the second but fundamentally it's the same story, world and characters (it was originally pitched as a remake, not a sequel, which - as mentioned - is also what it feels like).

I wouldn't watch anything related to the original if you want to dive in unspoiled.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Yes Face, absolutely don't watch any more of Hbomberguy's video if you plan on having a dabble.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So diablo 3 is still that. Good fuckin stabbin dudes
  • Cool. Thanks gents.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You're welcome
  • Spider-Man. It’s so bloody awesome. 60% through now. Keeps on giving.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Dragon Quest XI is great isn't it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Given I cleared Pokémon too early, it's perfect for Xmas gaming. I fell asleep on the sofa playing, woke up and went back 2 grind. Got my first metal slime too - 2000xp my days
  • Well, managed to get through intro and roam through a few early bits of pathologic 2.

Its Defintely got something going on.

Who knows if I'll stick it out, but clearly a game that feels different/original/distinct.

Feel like it'll be one like outer wilds, disco, or a few others I can't think of.

Basically even if it's not your usual bag, worth a punt on game pass or cheap.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Dragon Quest XI is great isn't it.

Yes. It really is.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I've been throwing myself back into Eastshade because I conked out halfway through. It's Pathologic for nice people who are twee on Christmas holidays like me. It's really nice.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    re: Pathologic (did the first but I've struggled to be in the mood for the second over the last few months) - It's a game you play feverishly. IPL balanced the survival aspects so you can never (unless you know the days like the back of your scalpel) ever be comfortable on the flats of your feet. They want you on a knife's edge baseline not for abstract challenge but so you're always thinking about this strange town and how you need to mug it to stay alive as things get more and more desperate for everyone with each passing day.
  • Stuck a pin in the PoS this morning, which landed on Super Hydorah.  It's a nice little scrolling shmup, nothing too technical and very 16-bit in terms of visuals and hey-hey-let's-destroy-stuff chiptune replicas.  Branching paths, what seems to be a sensible upgrade system and solid bosswork thus far.  Tis good.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    A physical pin or a metaphorical one?
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    I am currently going hard on a game I found through my discovery queue, which was a shock. Futuregrimd is like a cross between Trials and the old SNES game Unirally. Super fun and has that 'one more try' factor.

Super cheap on Steam atm too
  • Metaphorical pin, was staring the non physical bottom of my Switch library.

FutureGrind is a cracking little game, love stuff like that and it's one of the better examples of uhh stuff like that.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I bought it on steam just last week, following moot's prior recommendation. Somebody sensible liking it too is an unexpected surprise, maybe it won't be awful after all
  • It's JonB I feel sorry for, relegated to Scotch mist.
  • I’m unsure if I’m sensible, but I like FutureGrind, too.
  • Got Control and Observation on the go atm.  

Still early days with both (4 hours in to Control, and 2 hours in to Observation), but I've already developed an odd approach to playing Control in that I'm struggling to want to continue beyond the completion of any main objective in a single session.  I'm playing it for around an hour then leaving it a day or two before going back.  Don't take that as me not liking it though, it's weird and great, I just need to enjoy it in small portions.  

Not quite sure what I was expecting from Observation, but the opening couple of hours were as engrossing as they were creepy and uncomfortable, and if I hadn't had to stop for sleep last night I reckon I could have played it through in a single session.  Well, maybe.  I can see potential for frustration with the UI, signposting, and some of the puzzles.  Fingers crossed then.

Anyhoo, it's safe to say they've both got their hooks in.  Looking forward to more.
  • Control is a game that wants to have a world you live in for ages, with its dynamic missions etc, but I also prefered just playing a mission or two in a sitting, then logging off. Combat can be pretty brutal and unforgiving so it could be hard to go at it for a while.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Observation you are pretty much correct on all fronts. Some of the signposting is obtuse, not the puzzles, more literally just some of the moving around and it can be easy to get disoriented. But it was definitely a game where the story makes you want to carry on. Not a classic by any means but solid all the same.

I just bought in the Oculus sale Lone Echo, which is supposed to be amazing and is a similar idea of an AI helping the crew of a space station. I think.

Control I must get back to, I’ve only played the opening level. But Disco has its hooks in me for now.
  • Finally started Dad Of War(Boy). It good.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!