Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Of course they knew that before release but neglected to mention it. Charming.
  • Decent run on this last night; there's always so much going on!  Go do things for the Army, this guy is scared, we're short of this resource, go speak to the other survivors, clear the infestations, build a sleeping area.... and all I'm doing is desperately foraging trying to find enough food for everyone to actually survive the next couple of days!

I seem to be getting a better hang of outposts now.  Am I right in thinking that if I find a stash of materials or food there, and I don't pick it up but instead declare that site an outpost, then I'll get a constant drip feed of that resource into my place?  Does anyone know if you actually get more of the resource overall, or is it just spread over time?  Is it more efficient to just pack it into a rucksack and get it all back?

Managed to get right down to Marshall in the south, and found a new home (the one with the tree fort!).  That puts me a lot closer to the missions in the south with the Judge etc, but I'm worried I'm now too far away to polish off the last of the missions in the north, as I still need to chat to the hicks in the broken down farm and mop up a few things up there.  Plus I haven't scavenged it to within an inch of its life and I wonder if that was a better plan than moving just because I hit the minimum material/population levels required?
  • Makes waiting for a price cut more bearable. Should be completely ironed by that time... if one comes.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'd rather do my ironing than play that rubbish.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Its actually really good. A great game with some great ideas.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I think I have zombie fatigue. Well, I'm sure of it. Hated the demo. Despised even.
  • I admire the scope but I wanted it to right a lot of the co-op wrongs of Dead Island. I am enjoying the stories here but it's a discount buy for me without co-op.

I never tire of zombies, my last zombie dream was last week, trying to shore up my defences but all I had was cardboard. There's a message there alright.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • This game totally doesn't need co-op.  The whole point is that fragile feeling of being the leader of a group of incompatible survivors.  You're like Rick from The Walking Dead; you might play another character for a while but that's just because you've sent them on a mission rather than going yourself.  

But you're definitely the group leader.  You're making all the awkward decisions, sending people on supply runs, choosing where to go, who to work with, who to offer access to your community to, who to take in, what to spend valuable resources on.  You choose whether to continue with an important mission, a supply run, find the last remaining items to complete a new facility, clear an infestation, or go help a stranded ally.  You choose whether an extra sleeping area is more important than a basic infirmary, or even a garden to stop you needing to go scavenging all the time.

The actual mechanics of doing the simple missions aren't shining by any stretch of the imagination.  The fun from the game comes from its seemingly limitless scope, the way it's always bombarding you with so much to do and so many choices to make.  While smashing zombies around, I'm not enjoying the actual combat, I'm thinking already what we're going to do next, with which character, and how to share the kit out.

All of that would be diluted if it was co-op, and the basic run around and smash zombies gameplay isn't good enough to stand up to it.  At a push, you could have co-op where someone joins your game but isn't allowed to maintain the base or anything, and they allocate themselves missions (with or without you joining) in the same way that characters in your group can decide to do missions on their own.

I've had just one situation so far that would work in co-op.  After surveying from atop a mast, I tried to snipe a screamer at an infestation; I attracted a horde and wound up stuck up the mast with about 20 zombies running around at the bottom.  Someone could have come to help me, but it's hardly the beginnings of a co-op masterpiece.

As a sort-of MMO it would work, with a world big enough for you to have your own enclave and work alongside other survivors, or as a mini-MMO with a dozen players in each area or something.  The current game world's too small for that I reckon though.

Seriously, give it a shot.  It gets exponentially better the more you play.
  • My group are now firmly set up in the south, with a garden, a fully upgraded workshop, and a set of decent outposts dotted around.  Don't need many materials now that everything's built, and the garden's doing well, so my next job is to drop one or 2 of the food outposts providing for us and find one with medicine instead.  Ammo's not an issue as we're content with hitting people.

Have met the judge, and now have a story mission to meet one of the Army guys.  Getting quite into it now... wondering if it's worth moving again, will I take everything with me?  We have a population of 9 and we've just found an enclave of 3 survivors, so I could get the 12 needed to move into a nice big warehouse on the west side of Marshall if I can find a few more material caches.  Does everything decent like your garden move with you?
  • You start again from scratch when moving.
    Also you get more 'cant complete x without hinges, planks etc...' Missions when building a plot or upgrading. 
    The warehouse is good. It has 4 parking spaces (mine aren't working), allows 2 or 3 more outposts and about 5 building plots, I haven't really needed all of them so I would say save your resources and time and wait. 
    The far top left of the map opens fairly easily a mission or two after that Talk to the Wilkinsons mission, so you could always move up there later. 
    The southern town is good but it's a little low on ammo, well it was for me anyway, the top left town is a large calibre ammo haven.

Don't be shy with the outposts they give you the bonus and the can be torn down and rebuilt elsewhere, they also give your foraging chums (the 'A friend is in trouble' missions) a % boost on whether or not they will make it back on their own, so max them out and delete/make new ones at will.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    No co-op coming. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-03-undead-labs-confirms-that-state-of-decay-wont-get-co-op Which is a kind of a shame for no shared experiences, but the article makes a good point about implementing MP detracting from future updates, and it sounds from the tales here it needs them more than co-op. Future SoD games will be co-op based though.

were coming to post this, real shame as its possibly the best 360 game iv played this year.
    anyway heres edge on the same news story.
    http://www.edge-online.com/news/state-of-decay-will-not-receive-co-op-multiplayer-update/
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Yeah, last night I had to hunt for topsoil for my garden and cotton swabs for my infirmary; it adds a nice spin to building stuff and some extra urgency to those supply runs.  Found myself wondering what bits to use to set up an outpost, what stuff I should package up and take home, and when to call for a buddy to come when there were hordes out there....

I'm definitely going to move to that warehouse.  Think I'll collect materials now I have our home mostly upgraded (kitchen, library, watchtower, infirmary, advanced workshop, beds, garden).  Its only problem is I have 9 people and 8 beds.

For repairing cars, am I right in thinking I need to park in the marked bays to get them repaired?  I have about 6 cars crammed outside our home right now.

Tonight I'm going to look at adjusting my outposts... still need one in one direction where we're undefended, and right now I have too many making food considering we have a garden.  Need to get my 5 (I think) down to medicine, materials, ammo etc.  Maybe just one of each type.  I think I'm going to keep an outpost up in the north though, just in case.

For anyone who's played through the story;
    Spoiler:
  • A couple of outposts around your home base seem to help with the Horde is Attacking messages. The traps get them.

That's right about the cars, you park them in the designated bays and if you have a upgraded workshop they auto repair a little bit everyday 

After the update I am hardly finding any melee weapons at all, I do have about 60 sitting in the stores so its not really an issue but for some reason I no longer have the melee weapon repair perk from my workshop so my trusty wrenches are getting beaten up. 
    I can always break open found materials caches for more if need be. 

Sgt Tam. 
    Spoiler:
  • Sweet, I'll do that one later.
  • Oh it's still so good!

We're pretty self sufficient now, just researched enough to upgrade our garden to a greenhouse, although I need to meet a tools expert to crack the advanced workshop.  The outposts in the local area stood up to all but one horde, and that one fell to one of my 8 cars.  

Marcus is level 6 or 7 in most things now and I just unlocked the ninja perk; no locked doors and silent searching sound pretty handy.

The base is running very nicely, but I always tend to try and mop up side missions before progressing so that's tonight's job.  Only thing I'd like would be the option to bring an NPC on some missions for some extra firepower.

Still haven't braved the north again, so I think I need to go meet some scavengers just north of our house, then swing back towards the church to see about Alan going for a steak, then go see the Wilkersons.
  • Aha little tip.
    You know there are so many of those someone needs a talking too missions?
    Well start one, go to the mission point and clear the zombies then don't take the guy home. Take him off with you to another mission. He stays with you until you take hime back to the base. same with some of the survivor in trouble missions. Voila backup.

I also have some perks, press down on the dpad and the call menu comes up, I did missions that allow me to call to the sheriff who will bring backup and I can even call in a artillery strike when needed. Costs influence but I have about 1300 at the moment.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, I got a perk where I could call in military back up. Its brilliant. You get 3 tooled up special forces guys that wipe out everything that comes your way for a few minutes.
  • How do you get those??  I guess you have to do the artillery spotting mission for the Army I think I ignored, and the civic duty one for the sheriff....?
  • Aiy, I think it was for those exact two missions that I got them as a reward.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I also got one where one of my group would snipe for me, I think he gave me ten shots and popped anything that got to close.
  • Ooh, I don't have that one. 
    I did have a tank zombie (whatever they are called) spawn right outside my warehouse. I went out and lured it near the fence so the guy in the tower could kill him, only for it to clip glitch through the fence. Panic ensued.
  • yeah the promise of coop coming in the future reeked a bit. anyone with half a brain should have seen it coming :(
  • Co-op's totally unnecessary; it's quite story/event/vignette-driven, it wouldn't work except as an MMO with multiple groups of survivors, which they're doing for a next-gen platform of some sort.  

Seriously, anyone saying they don't want to get it because it doesn't have co-op really needs to try it regardless.  It's excellent.

I've just been for another trip up north, finished Alan's story, checked in with Sam and got her home, and then went to have a wary chat with the Wilkersons.  Back in the south I found a group of 2 survivors looking for a 3rd and rescued them; then had the bright idea to drag them around the map to destroy all the existing infestations near us before taking them home!

Not much left to do now other than Civic Duty and go meet the Army.

I have 2 outposts in the far north, and I want to swap one for another one closer to my current home. Trouble is, I can't see any easy way to identify which of the 3 food caches I have is the one in the north; and I don't want to close one down and find it actually shuts one nearby!
  • I've now met the Army and have that perk!  I'm sure it'll come in useful.  Got into a couple of fairly grim fights, turns out I can't throw firebombs very straight.

Rejigged my outposts so I now have 3 providing materials, one food, one ammo, one fuel.  That seems to be a nice balance.  We have the greenhouse producing food now as well, and only need about 8 a day.  Materials were a shock though; 19 required a day!!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Petrol bombs are a fuck to aim, I've set a few survivors ablaze while trying to help them defend their home. 'Trust has decreased' indeed, top lols.
  • i forgot about perks etc. i had a swat team on call before i started again.
  • Downloaded the demo for this without knowing anything about it. Such a great idea but the voice acting ruined it for me.
  • You're a fussy bunch!

You can't miss a co-op mode that was never there, and voice acting?  Come on, it's an excellent game; if you drive more than 1000 yards then you get hideous jerkiness, framerate issues and pop-in.  But you don't mind, because you've suspended disbelief, and you're already wondering what awaits you when you respond to that radio call, and what to do next about your dwindling medical supplies.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I hate this thread, being as it was banned.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!