Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    :D
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    :(
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Quoting myself for page turn after Hair nudged me around the edge of the page turn bug checkpoint.
    Yossarian wrote:
    FWIW, I still prefer the look of the Bone's exclusive lineup to the PlayStation's. I suspect people won't believe me, but it's true. Online MP games appeal to me far more than SP experiences these days, and Sony's offerings tend to be almost exclusively SP. There's enough SP stuff on the Bone either through the odd exclusive I've yet to get around to playing or through 3rd party stuff to mean that I'm never going to run out of SP options, and I cannot think of a single SP experience that holds so much appeal to me so much that I'd be upset about missing out on it.

Also, I do not expect to play another JRPG as long as I live.

• digi wrote:
    I_R wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    I can't see any point to this at all. Still. Why don't they just accept second place this time and put their effort into knocking it out of the park for the next gen? This is only going to cost them a lot of money and divide their base. Ah, what do I know?
    I think you need to look at it as them saving money by not investing in a proper new console in a few years time. They can do another upgrade when needed.  The idea of winning the living room to save their OS dominance was all made redundant when the iPhone appeared, this seems to be about making money and keeping the business ticking over.
    They can't be making much from the x though really, weren't there talk of them making a loss or just barely breaking even?
    I think they must make money now, the Live subs and their cut of games sold must outweigh any loss on hardware. Over the lifetime of the whole thing, the losses on the original xbox, the RROD money and whatever Kinect cost could put the whole thing in the red.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They're breaking even on the Bone X itself.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Quoting myself for page turn after Hair nudged me around the edge of the page turn bug checkpoint.
    Yossarian wrote:
    FWIW, I still prefer the look of the Bone's exclusive lineup to the PlayStation's. I suspect people won't believe me, but it's true. Online MP games appeal to me far more than SP experiences these days, and Sony's offerings tend to be almost exclusively SP. There's enough SP stuff on the Bone either through the odd exclusive I've yet to get around to playing or through 3rd party stuff to mean that I'm never going to run out of SP options, and I cannot think of a single SP experience that holds so much appeal to me so much that I'd be upset about missing out on it.

That's great and if it floats your boat Alls fine.

But other than forza, halo and gears where's the new ip?
    The Forum Herald™
  • I_R wrote:
    digi wrote:
    I_R wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    I can't see any point to this at all. Still. Why don't they just accept second place this time and put their effort into knocking it out of the park for the next gen? This is only going to cost them a lot of money and divide their base. Ah, what do I know?
    I think you need to look at it as them saving money by not investing in a proper new console in a few years time. They can do another upgrade when needed.  The idea of winning the living room to save their OS dominance was all made redundant when the iPhone appeared, this seems to be about making money and keeping the business ticking over.
    They can't be making much from the x though really, weren't there talk of them making a loss or just barely breaking even?
    I think they must make money now, the Live subs and their cut of games sold must outweigh any loss on hardware. Over the lifetime of the whole thing, the losses on the original xbox, the RROD money and whatever Kinect cost could put the whole thing in the red.
    Yossarian wrote:
    They're breaking even on the Bone X itself.

Thanks.
    Making it back on live and software sales seems reasonable if they break even, but id suspect the majority of folks will be upgrading rather than buying fresh and so taking there live sub and games library with them.

I think its a weird situation and nintendo are probably right to Always make a profit on hardware.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Within the next year: Cuphead, State of Decay, Sea of Thieves, Ori and probably Crackdown. Maybe.
  • That list of games is fucking pathetic Yoss.

Utterly pathetic.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Betting the farm on some VR announcement, fucking hurry up MS.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Within the next year: Cuphead, State of Decay, Sea of Thieves, Ori and probably Crackdown. Maybe.

I find that such a depressing list.

Party because of the games themselves, but partly because a year ago that list would've been much the same.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That list of games is fucking pathetic Yoss.

Utterly pathetic.

Excuse me while I prepare my shocked face.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    JRPC wrote:
    I find that such a depressing list.

Party because of the games themselves, but partly because a year ago that list would've been much the same.

That's fair, beyond next year who knows what will happen with 1st/2nd party stuff, but there's stuff coming that appeals, and I don't see 3rd party drying up any time soon, so I'm sure I'll get by.
  • It Is a shit list and I suspect even Yoss knows it's not going to sell systems but it's not to say there's not enjoyment to be had
    The Forum Herald™
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    How exclusive is PUBG? http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/08/21/microsoft-again-stretches-definition-of-exclusive

The last sentence is very silly and made me smile.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    It Is a shit list and I suspect even Yoss knows it's not going to sell systems but it's not to say there's not enjoyment to be had
    I'm not arguing that it is going to sell systems, I'm saying it appeals to me.
  • No ones arguing or putting words in your mouth mate. I'm expanding on the point.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Having said that, I'm not sure that any of the recent Sony games were particular system-shifters either, were they?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Horizon didn't do too bad, or isn't that recent anymore?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Uncharted 4 and Horizon have done pretty well, but the next best selling exclusive on the Wiki page is Killzone?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_4_video_games

Seems to be quite an incomplete list too. Surely Destiny should be on there somewhere.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    Horizon didn't do too bad, or isn't that recent anymore?

You beat me to it.
  • We're all agreed exclusives are pointless now ... which means you buy the best box for your buck ...

The Forum Herald™
  • I don't think exclusives necessarily sell systems any more, they do for me, I've got a PS4 Pro only for system exclusives but I don't think mass market practices that idea anymore, or has for a long time.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    I don't think exclusives necessarily sell systems any more, they do for me, I've got a PS4 Pro only for system exclusives but I don't think mass market practices that idea anymore, or has for a long time.

I think that the perception around the exclusives isn't hurting Sony at all, TBF.
  • Sony came out of the box cheaper ... now we know making things cheaper doesn't matter for shit when it comes to sales but they sold a few ...
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    I don't think exclusives necessarily sell systems any more, they do for me, I've got a PS4 Pro only for system exclusives but I don't think mass market practices that idea anymore, or has for a long time.

I think that the perception around the exclusives isn't hurting Sony at all, TBF.

Oh no it's not, and it's better to have them than not. To be honest none of them have blown me away at all, hoping the Zombie one turns out to be my kind of thing. I like having the ability to play the best versions of everything that takes my fancy so I try having them all. Though really it's just a VR machine now, and that's fine with me.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I have a PS4 for Housemarque games and the occasional other exclusive (fingers crossed Everybody's Golf).

Not sure who said it but I think they're right about games not selling systems anymore.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Sony came out of the box cheaper ... now we know making things cheaper doesn't matter for shit when it comes to sales but they sold a few ...

Price, perception, it's all played a part.

I do think that being able to offer the best console versions of multiplats will flog a few Bone X's, but how many is an open question.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Uncharted 4 and Horizon have done pretty well, but the next best selling exclusive on the Wiki page is Killzone?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_4_video_games

Seems to be quite an incomplete list too. Surely Destiny should be on there somewhere.

Offerings from both Sony and MS are really bad imo. Just one of the reasons I won't be upgrading either for a very long time - if ever.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!