regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    (back compatibility that is, fuck off page jump)
  • I've got more faith in Microsoft doing server infrastructure that Sony, simply because Ms already have a shit load of servers available, it's their thing.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This is a fair point. Microsoft are big into cloud services for commerce, they have the infrastructure and a lot of know how that comes with that.
  • Aye I'm sure I read this week about how their cloud services business is helping them make mega mega dosh. Hey ho.
  • “Buy a cheap Xbox and be reliant on the POWER OF THE CLOD.”

“Oh, and your broadband. And your Wi-Fi router.”
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Talked a bit about it with B, he agrees with Muzzy.

You have a really small buffer with games, as you never know what needs to be displayed next. So there will always be latency. Servers needs to be close to wherever you're streaming from. He reckons the only companies that have the infrastructure for it right now are Amazon and Google.

Might work for walking simulators, which are at a slow pace, but probably won't be worth it unless you have a really stable connection that never drops a bit and live close to a server centre.

We'll see, 2020 isn't that far away... I've just realized it's only 2 years away and not the 4 I had in mind. This is upsetting me more than anything Microsoft will announce.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Microsoft seem to claim that they are in more locations than Amazon, I think. The marketing speak is strong in this.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's a definite wait and see thing. Onlive was shit, PS Now was shit, and the only thing Microsoft have done regarding cloud stuff and videogames so far is Crackdoon 3, so I can't begin to get interested in this until I know it actually works.

I can't see anyone wanting to be the guinea pig on this by buying a console for it either. Best of luck I suppose.
  • I know from work Microsoft have azure in London, Ireland and Holland so assume they're in a decent amount of countries across Europe
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Microsoft: Buy Xbox One, it's always online!
    Market: No thanks
    Microsoft: Okay, okay, we'll do a traditional console again.
    Market: Hmmmm. We like it, but not as much as the other one.
    Microsoft: We've made a smaller version
    Market: Okay....
    Microsoft: We've made a more powerful one!
    Market: ...
    Microsoft: Buy the new Xbox, it's always online!

You can't knock them for trying. I reckon they'll crack the tech, but no one will care.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's not just their tech that's involved, is the problem. If you live in Newcastle then the round trip time to any of those azure locations is likely too much for a fun experience, even if the bandwidth is there. Even ignoring whatever processing is done at the far end.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It Eid festival great if it worked, a real game changer, and I'm glad they're trying as it will keep things ticking along. And maybe there's clever technology to somehow preemptively help. Who knows.

But yeah "edge computing", multiple smaller data centers, distributed and closer to where you need it, is the future. I suspect MS are looking at that space too though.

(That's quite the opening autocorrect. It can stay.)
  • It's a definite wait and see thing. Onlive was shit, PS Now was shit, .
    Think it depends how close you are to data centres and strength of your net, interference and all sorts of other shit.

Psnow is great for me but im not far from manchester data centre.
    Im also getting 200mb down or just under.

Wouldn't trust it for multiplayer on street fighter for instance but my fiancee played thru the whole of heavy rain, bejewled 3, some arkanoid ripp off.

She also played parts of sega ages collection and a few others like god of war 3, locoroco and patapon with no difficulty.
    Then her trial ran out.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    It Eid festival great if it worked

I look forward to it then!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • My Xbone has started an annoying habit of dropping the Wi-Fi connection while left on standby. Anyone else had that with an X? My old Bone never did it.

Usually needs a hard restart to pick the network back up.
  • My S does that, but only since I switched from BT to SSE.
  • Mine does it rarely, and also rarely, won't wake from standby when starting from the pad. A quick press of the X button on the console sees it perform a full start up implying it shut down altogether. This has happened less so since the recent console update.

Best answer I could find was it is an annoying quirk of leaving it on instant on. I was going to try a factory reset before cashing in the warranty before it expires.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Mine seems to actually just fail at Wi-Fi completely every now and again. Wake it from sleep and it says ‘not connected to Xbox Live’. Go to connect and it says there’s no net connection. Search for Wi-Fi networks and it says it can’t see any. Hard reset the Xbone and everything’s fine again.

It’s a bloomin’ pain. If it’s not a known common issue, I think I’ll get on to MS support about a replacement.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    My S does that, but only since I switched from BT to SSE.

Every time I turn it on now.  Just had to pull the plug on it to get it to recognise any wifi sources.  I presume that's done something as it's now installing an update it downloaded.
  • If this thing dies before the new Ori lands I'll be ruddy miffed so I will.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Annoying American accent alert, but this looks quite interesting.

https://vigorgame.com/about
    What if humanity falls? 1991. The nuclear war is over. Central Europe is devastated, Norway has become the last stand. You start as a nameless outlander, but who will you become? No time for uncertainty. Turn a shelter into your home. Fight, run or hide. Take risks, claim rewards. Survive this cut-throat experience. Vigor is an upcoming free-to-play shoot 'n loot game where you must survive cut-throat encounters to build your very own Shelter amid post-war Norway, 1991. * Survive cut-throat encounters for 8-16 players * Claim precious resources and valuable rewards * Improve your safe shelter and vital equipment * Become the courageous Outlander in post-war Norway

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'll give that a go with the two hour trial, but then I'll be waiting for the FTP release.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Hmm, longest double post ever.

Has anyone played that Tarkov?
  • Watched some on twitch. Seems a bit UI heavy plus bots?? Is it due a console release or something?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Good day for Boners.

@7pm - Playground Games show of Forza Horizon 4 in springtime (and Edinburgh!) on their Mixer livestream.

@4pm - Rare let loose their long awaited ‘Cursed Sails’ update.

HYPED
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I'll give that a go with the two hour trial, but then I'll be waiting for the FTP release.
    Sounds just like the Dark Zone from The Division.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Good day for Boners.

@7pm - Playground Games show of Forza Horizon 4 in springtime (and Edinburgh!) on their Mixer livestream.

@4pm - Rare let loose their long awaited ‘Cursed Sails’ update.

HYPED

Looking forward to SoT:CS. I’m not watching anything about FH4 though, the only thing I’ve seen of it since the reveal at E3 is the map. I’m going in as cold and unsullied as possible.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Watched some on twitch. Seems a bit UI heavy plus bots?? Is it due a console release or something?

Nah, just got a mention in that video so I was wondering. Probably should have asked in the PC thread or something.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!