Xbox One
  • I'm fine with this for my tastes, a cheaper model would interest me once it has a few exclusives I struggle to ignore (as with the Bone S), as long as they run fine as Dave says. I don't think it's a particularly good idea though, despite the fact that it suits me.
  • 4K as an option doesn't seem like a bad idea. It's not a fad like 3D, but it's not something people are clamouring for in the way they were when HD appeared.
  • I suppose as long as the processor is the same it’s ok
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'd be really interested in a straw poll of how many forum people have 4k TVs.

I keep thinking about it, but then the faff around HDR, "real" 4k and so on put me off and I spend my money on games instead.

I think once the 1080p/I/720 standard sort of worked itself out and it was 1080p or bust, I was ready to go (the frustrations of my PS3 switching to 720 and me not knowing why aside).

I'm not a £1000 tellie guy, I'm a £2-300. Once I get what I need to buy and that becomes affordable, I'll go for it. But not yet.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
  • If I’m replacing a telly I’ll go for the latest tech I can reasonably afford. But I don’t replace a telly often. I’m probably talking every 10 years or something. The Samsung one I have now is about eight years old and still looks amazing.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Same, i had a refurbished sony from 2010 until this year, where I've upgraded to a cheap 4k.
  • Dont know why you bother. I have full HD at 1080p. Cant get better than all the HDs.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I just whacked a few skulls and a chainsword onto mine. Spalsh of citadel paints and Boom! 40k TV.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    4K as an option doesn't seem like a bad idea. It's not a fad like 3D, but it's not something people are clamouring for in the way they were when HD appeared.

Yeah, and, speaking from experience, the Bone X was overpowered for non-4K TVs. I was running it through a 1080 TV for a while and the only real bonuses were a slightly sharper image thanks to the anisotropic filtering (I think it was?) and a handful of games offering a 60hz mode. Probably fewer dropped frames as well but nothing massively noticeable.
  • I know this isn’t the TV thread but when I finally get a good one I want one that is good simply to have low audio latency.
  • The thing is these TVs get bigger and bigger and show better detail but my sofa stays the same distance away so I’m hard pressed to see the need. Additionally I feel like the idea of 4K is sexier than actually implementing more wild and wacky ideas into a game. Like out of a choice between straighter lines than now and crazy particles and experimental graphics tech I’ll take the latter every time - raytracing reflections at 1080p seems cooler to me than a less intensive but smoother resolution.
  • regmcfly wrote:

I think once the 1080p/I/720 standard sort of worked itself out and it was 1080p or bust, I was ready to go (the frustrations of my PS3 switching to 720 and me not knowing why aside).

I'm not a £1000 tellie guy, I'm a £2-300.

This for me, but only because I moved the goalposts a few years ago. I have spent £800 on a television (twice), but not since 2008 iirc. I used to big big into 5.1 sound too, not fussed at all now as long as it's loud.
  • I recently bought a £1000 TV but then my last TV purchase before that was 8 years ago and £650. So i tend to go for the spend lots upfront to make it last longer philosophy.
  • I've found the setting to turn off that distracting motion smoothing thing it does. Makes a bit difference.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    I've found the setting to turn off that distracting motion smoothing thing it does. Makes a bit difference.

Where's that mate? i think we both have b8. i haven't had a problem with motion but curious now
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Find the smooth motion thing is good for games but bad for TV/filums.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • By default it was doing something that made everything move unsettlingly smoothly. Sounds like that should have been a good thing but it just made everything look unnatural somehow.
  • Yar, for tv and films specifically.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Game mode for games, film mode for everything else. Although I’m Samsung rather than LG, so different settings, obvs.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've always been Samsung, but through that only existing on film mode
  • I’m Panasonic
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Kern knows. Panasonic pictures are excellent. The OS probably isn’t the best running on the now defunct Firefox OS but it’s simple and works. Inputs on my set all handle HDR and 4K which means PS4 Pro, Xbox One X and PC can all take advantage of it.

Having done a lot of reading on sites like Av Forums the general consensus is to switch off or reduce a lot of the picture processing.

As for visual differences it is definitely visible if not to the level of jump from SD to HD. But HDR when it works well really is something.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've got a Philips. It's not fashionable but the ambient light stuff is actually really good, and no where near as gimmicky as i thought it would be.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Always wanted one of those. Does it match the action on screen?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, its seamless. I wasn't bothered about it, and got the tv because it was a good deal. I expected i would turn the light off after a few days but i really like it. It makes the screen seem much bigger.
  • Nice. I seem to remember MS were looking into something similar to that but scaled up to full room or something.

It makes a lot of sense as your peripheral vision is blurred anyway and at the extremities is just coloured shapes.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Not the bests video, it looks better when the room is dark, but it gives you an idea.

• Kernowgaz wrote:
    I’m Panasonic
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!