Mobile Gaming (iOS/Android/Other)
  • Perm, you've got an iPad. Suggestion for me dad?
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Ok guys, i'm visiting my Dad and he's treated himself to an iPad3 fr his birthday. Games/Apps he should get? Free ones or cheap ones are best, I reckon he's skint now!
    What're his tastes?
  • Vastik wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Ok guys, i'm visiting my Dad and he's treated himself to an iPad3 fr his birthday. Games/Apps he should get? Free ones or cheap ones are best, I reckon he's skint now!
    What're his tastes?

I was going to ask the same thing.
    It's all well and good recommending stuff we'd like, but it might not be for him.

Tempy, can you get him to go for a couple of board games and play him at those?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Perm, you've got an iPad. Suggestion for me dad?
    I probably the same age!

It depends, my most used are Weather HD, Living Earth, Wonders of the Universe, The Night Sky, My Measure PRO. What are his interests, this may help us come up with some good pointers...
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    I've been playing Plague Inc.  [...]  Infecting Greenland and Iceland is tough
    Just got this too. Nice little game, i'm liking the gleefully dark premise. I'm normally all about saving the world.
    I got around the Greenland/Iceland problem by starting my disease there. A mild, highly infectious cough spread the globe then mutated into a killer. Bye bye humanity.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Another thumbs up for Plague Inc, I've not tried the other one yet, Pandemic 2.5...
  • He likes strategy stuff, historical games, doubt he'll be bothered by boardgames. I gifted him that Total War game, he nearly didn't sleep!

Plague Inc is awesome, just brought the world to its knees on Normal

• I've got Living Earth, it's great. I've got Distant Suns instead of the Night Sky. Gonna check out WotU.

Games wise, I love my Cave shmups and the HD ones look gorgeous. The only iPad-only games I have are Fractal and another rhythm action game by the same guys.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Check out the Top 25 on the App Store, Tempy. There are two worth checking out... A Camelot game and a desert island game.
  • Tempy, there's a new Total War game for the iPad called Total War Battles: Shogun. I haven't played it but it's been very well reviewed.

Edit: Just released I think you've already got him that.
  • I know it's generally considered to be a bit gash around here, but you can't go wrong with angry birds for casual types.

If he's into strategy then maybe civ rev (quite regularly on sale, so may be worth waiting), and maybe a tower defense type thing like geo defense.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    He likes strategy stuff, historical games, doubt he'll be bothered by boardgames. I gifted him that Total War game, he nearly didn't sleep! Plague Inc is awesome, just brought the world to its knees on Normal
    Try Autumn Dynasty!
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    He likes strategy stuff, historical games, doubt he'll be bothered by boardgames. I gifted him that Total War game, he nearly didn't sleep! Plague Inc is awesome, just brought the world to its knees on Normal
    Another great iPad RTS is Eufloria. Lovely game.

• Yeh, forgot about Eufloria. I've got it, not played it much though.
  • If you had to pick one game for iphone right now Som, would it be this plague jobby?
  • downloading plague thing
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Nick wrote:
    If you had to pick one game for iphone right now Som, would it be this plague jobby?

Erm... Plague is good, and it's new and a "game of the week" type thing, but if we are talking about "the one game you must have on your iPhone", there are far better games out there. Beat Sneak Bandit is awesome, if you like rhythm action puzzle games (not that there are many around!).
  • Yeah, Plauge Inc is a bit one not. Looks like some of the later infections mix things up a little. Can't complain for 69p though.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Beat Sneak Bandit is awesome.
  • My first attempt at the fungal infection, named Rooney, proved somewhat disappointing. Rooney failed to infect at least three countries and was eventually eradicated.
  • Start in Madagascar, don't let it mutate any symptoms.
  • Certainly, removing symptoms that self-mutate help infection rate and help you build up your anti-cure abilities before anyone even starts work on a cure, but buying back those symptoms later can be pricey.
  • Hehe:
    Wor lass has mutated and developed the rash symptom
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Certainly, removing symptoms that self-mutate help infection rate and help you build up your anti-cure abilities before anyone even starts work on a cure, but buying back those symptoms later can be pricey.

I generally just go straight to coma via the respitory path when I've infected the whole world. Not working for the parasite though.

• @Tempy - SpellTower. Wife's mam loves it.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Just got a neat little Metal Gear clone called VR Mission. It's free. Quite a fun little distraction.
  • This ague game is fucking hard :/
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Currently playing Chaos Rings 2, yeah, I stupidly got it for that ridiculous £13.99.
    It's a bog standard RPG-lite fare.
    The thing is, Chaos Rings and Chaos Rings Omega were bog standard RPG-lites, but you could forgive them because they weren't really all that expensive. Chaos Rings 2 doesn't have that luxury.
    The graphics are nice, PS2 style but a little smoother thanks to the resolution. Chaos Rings and Omega both had oodles of content, I haven't got far enough into 2 yet to see how much content there is, but I wont be happy if there isn't more to be found.

EDIT: In other news

Atari's Greatest Hits app is free today to celebrate their 40th birthday.
    Thats 100 classic games for free.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Sasukekun wrote:
    EDIT: In other news Atari's Greatest Hits app is free today to celebrate their 40th birthday. Thats 100 classic games for free.
    SAS stop it, it's not 100 free games it's 1!!!
  • No, that's just Missile Command for free.  Others are 69p.

EDIT: Too slow.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!