Just completed
  • I didnt mean just the Wii. I meant the Wii alongside one of the others. Either the PS3 or 360 becomes mostly redundant if you own it's rival. The Wii, however, like the GC before it, has a library of great games that a collection shouldn't be without. It's essential.

Reg knows what I'm talking about. Dontcha reg?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • you know, I'm kinda tempted to pick a cheap Wii up to play through some of the aforementioned exclusives.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Ok, not 'better' console, per se, but it's the console you could least do without if you want to play all the best games this generation has to offer. Either of the 360 or PS3 will cover the vast majority of the multi platform releases. But missing a Wii means missing a lot more great games than if you were missing one of the others. In that sense, it's a more essential console than the others.
    I'd have to disagree with that too. If you pick either the 360 or PS3 then you would have access to a much larger catalogue of high quality gaming experiences than just owning a Wii. Sure there are a lot of good exclusives to the Wii, but there are far more games available on the others that aren't on the Wii.

Unless I've misunderstood it I think Hylian's point was that the Wii makes the best second console.  A 360 or a PS3 and a Wii would be the sensible choice this gen, if we're limiting ourselves to two consoles for argument's sake.  As much as I enjoyed the Uncharted games, God of War III, Heavy Rain, Flower and Journey, if I had to jettison one console based on exclusives it would be bye bye PS3.
  • Moot (has a) point.

I've played err, maybe 10 games on the Wii that were exclusives and not ports of old GC games.

All great games but I'd never have it as a main console.
  • Yeah I agree that having one as a second console now means access to a decent number of great games.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Moot understanding me, yay! Clearly I'm not good at getting a point across.
  • I think I skim read some of the posts, sorry!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • And yet the Wii was the console I had zero problem ditching when I had all three.  My only regret is the money I wasted on it, blinded by a silly gimmick.
  • +1.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • It's the only console I regret not playing more right now. I just wish I had the time. Xenoblade beckons every day, would really love to do NG+ on Skyward Sword, haven't even started Little King's Story, still need to get all the stars in Mario Gaksxy 2... :( Working life sucks.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I started writing a response until I saw the page turn. Moot gets it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    And yet the Wii was the console I had zero problem ditching when I had all three.  My only regret is the money I wasted on it, blinded by a silly gimmick.

Best games make that gimmick an essential (or utterly meaningless) consequence of playing. 

Case in point - Zack and Wiki demands that you use it (ingeniously)

Xenoblade - I plug my classic controller in and go.
  • Driver: San Francisco
    Platinum achieved. Finished SP ages ago but decided to go after the last MP trophies. Thoroughly enjoyable game all round. I'd even go as far as saying my favourite driving game of this generation. More, please, Reflections.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Borderlands
    Utterly, and totally, done. 80/80 achievements, 1750/1750 Gamerscore. 

Having slogged through the second of three long Moxxi modes a couple of months ago, Gav, Wookie, Elm and myself were essentially dancing around dates as to when to finally do the last one. It fell unto tonight, and once more it seemed like fate was conspiring to stop us from doing it, as we had what seemed like a limited time window (it takes about 2 and a half hours to do a Moxxi from start till end). 

Luckily, everything panned out, and at just after 6:30 we chugged along through the Angelic Ruins. It was all good fun until I got kicked out at about Round 13. I hurriedly logged back in, only to be kicked out right after the boss of Round 16. Thinking it wouldn't give me the achievement because I missed the Round end screen, I slumped back in, and went pretty silent, announcing were I not to get the achievement, I'd just log off without a sound.

So we finally finished at about 9pm. 

... Ding... Ding... Achievements appeared!

Utterly exhausted and delighted, and glad it's over. Borderlands is now one of those games I never need to touch again. 

Total play time - 6 days, 7 hours, 58 minutes and 09 seconds.

Fuck sake.
  • That last countdown was utterly harrowing.

ROLL ON BLANDS TWO YAY.................
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    NAW MATE GOTTA GET U THRU IT
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I really fancy giving the DLC a crack on Borderlands but I don't want to faff about with the lengthy beginning bit until I get to a working fast travel point. Are they worth it?
  • Yes. JUST NOT MOXXI
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    All are good. I didn't like Ned as much as other people, but Knoxx and Claptrap are both utterly fantastic.

As Wookie said, stay away from MOXXI unless you hate yourself
  • I don't, which is why I stopped.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Alrighty then. I'll give them a whirl.

Completed Spec Ops last night. And I feel like a bit of a badman for several choices I made during the game and also for judging it for "probably going to be shit" right from when I heard about it in previews until people started saying it's a damn good effort.

I read the Edge review after I finished it and I don't think I can add much to that one since I think it's one of their spot on reviews. The cover shooting is tight and satisfying and remarkably it only has one enemy type who takes on the bullet sponge role which better justifies the crazy damage most enemies can do if you poke your head over the top for a few seconds.

I hope no one batters me for use of the word genius here but one particular bit I thought managed design genius was when
    Spoiler:
    Lots of mixed emotions.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I also think every game that touts big decision making opportunities as a selling point should look to this game from now on. Even though they don't change a good amount of what happens, I still felt they were more poingant and difficult than anything in Mass Effect.
  • I felt the same, it's the turning point in the game. From then on you do question Walker's motives, the game's tone takes a downward turn. The last third really brought it all together for me.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yep. It gets really really dark. To be honest, I didn't even see the ending coming until the time I was
    Spoiler:
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Playing it at the mo thanks to the lovely Webbo. Up to chapter 6 and I'm loving it. I always tend to enjoy 3rd person stuff(I loved Dark Void ffs!) but this is super tight and smooth when it comes to the cover movement etc. Great looking game as well, some epic scenery. Looking forward to seeing where the story goes.
  • Absolute class act, traded it in shortly after purchase, but will definitely pick it up again when it comes down in prisce.  It very much stayed with me; I vaguely recall parts of max Payne 3's story (the game I played directly after The Line), but spec ops made me give a shit.

Just finished binary domain which I had a great time with.  Things got a bit silly towards the end with some questionable character swerves but it was mostly a lot of fun.  The robot enemies are fantastic,vthe way you can blow them apart piece by piece (and get hi score rewarded for it), or head shorting them to turn them against their allies.  Quite possibly worth the price of admission for the ludicrous French resistance type robot.  Absolute gun.

Slightly off topic but I wish games would bring back proper end of level/chapter screens.  I guess people don't want the flow of the game interrupted but surely no one plays through an entire campaign in one sitting.  I never know when its a good time to turn the Xbox off!
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm replaying it at the mo on the harder difficulty trying to get everyone to BEST FWEND status for the best ending. Basically boils down to being a passive, bullied bitch in conversations and shooting every robot's legs off then smashing them physically with the butts of high-tech weaponry.
  • Cool, I had no idea there were different endings.  Will definitely give it another razz at some point then.  

My team didn't like me much towards the end, I kept accidentally shooting them. The serious British guy had it coming though.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I love Ninty but gotta also agree MattyJ

Btw finally finished Mass Effect 3 so I can read all the moaning about the ending :-)

For me? I now want a ME prequel with less high brow crew on battered ship with varied range of missions keeping the controls from ME3 - thinking Firefly the game basically.
  • Just finished BiDo myself. Maybe it was too soon after Spec Ops as obviously the story pails in comparison but it didn't always click with me.

I like the essence of the combat, chipping away at armour, headshots turning the AI rogue. Some irritations to be had for me with some of the clunky canned animation and the bosses verged on outstaying their welcome. The buddy system is a bit enforced without offering any real tactical advantage. There is a charm to it though and the characters are enjoyable, cannot argue with the price I paid for a good old romp.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!