regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I felt I was doing the shooting to get to the next bit of story for sure, but what a great story.

This has been an odd little year for games. It's always interesting at the end of a generation when people go a bit mental, and I think BiDo and Spec Ops, and from what I've heard about them, Sleeping Dogs and Darksiders 2, are all a little quirky or different.
  • Interesting. I'm gonna look into it as a future purchase.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • How long is the spec ops campaign gents?
  • Depending on difficulty, I did it on hard in about 10-12 hours.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Speaking of turnbased, I'm currently playing GBA Fire Emblem again. This time doing Hector's story on hard, and it is hard. Not sure why I'm putting myself through it really, but have been making slow progress for a week or so now.

Edit: Wrong thread, never mind.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I did spec ops on normal in just about 5 hours
  • Played the Spec Ops demo today and really liked it. And damn, long demo. Also Binary Domain. Liked that too. My winter gaming is definitely going to be made up of games like that.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Good lad
  • Like you mentioned, reg, they seemed a little different, a little quirky. Also played the MW3 demo today and it was just pretty yawnsome in comparison, despite its undeniable slickness.
  • You should consider adding Alpha Protocol to that list.
    Loving it. It's like Syphon Filter meets Bourne meets Mass Effect.
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Yup, that's another one I'll probably grab at some point this year. Dark Souls too. And I've still got Mass Effect 3 sitting there untouched.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Alpha Protocol sits perfectly with BiDo and Spec Ops in that "it's nowhere near a great game but bless it for being a mental."
  • There is something of the 'it dared to go there' with Spec Ops rather than settle for some CoD/Gears faux bombast. It was strange that the core gameplay took a back seat to story, soundtrack, etc.

Pro tip to other devs, have Jimi Hendrix soundtrack your credits, I will quite happily sit through contemplating what I have just played.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    New Super Mario Bros. 2

Yes, Peach is kidnapped. Yes, you run from left to right, and jump on Goombas. But complaining about that would be like complaining that the latest Street Fighter features punching and kicking.

There are enough clever little touches to keep you interested in what's around the corner, and the platforming is spot on. Initially, having to press down on the d-pad to do a ground pound is a bit odd, but probably makes more sense to beginners than tapping the L button. You can also swap around the buttons, meaning I could have my preferred run-on-B-and-jump-on-A set-up that I couldn't get in 3D Land.

Yes, you've seen most of this before. But when it's this good, it's hard to care. Had me grinning from ear to ear and unwilling to put the 3DS down. If you haven't played 3D Land yet, start with that, it's probably going to keep you going for longer and definitely features the more innovative game play. But for 2D platforming refined to a golden (coin) shine, this is the place to be.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have secret worlds to unlock and giant coins to find.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I'm only on world 2. And unlocked the first secret world (mushroom world?).
  • Because I don't finish that many games these days, I'll cross post from the thread:

Darksiders 2

And it's done.

Well, first playthrough anyway.

Overall, cracking game. And I have to say outright that the Edge 6 is overly harsh. This game is not the second coming, and is derivative in many ways, but it's also undeniably enjoyable in a very straightforward way. Pretty much everything works, and works well. There's no harsh punishment for death, and any foibles with the platforming and even the fighting can be easily forgiven in light of that. It's not challenging in the same sense as a Souls game, but heck, after hammering Dark and being stuck in Demon's, that wasn't an issue for me.

So, the Good:

- it's copped some flack for being a little past it graphically, but I think it looks fab. Great looking hub areas, and dungeons, massive spectacular views and characters, and enough variety so I wasn't, for the most part, sick of looking at it. (A couple of spots were a touch long in the tooth.)

- Possessed weapons/loot. This aspect is absolutely nailed. The weapon upgrading and hunting is awesome. Kinda wish you could also do it with the pistol you get early on.

- combat. Not amazing, and you can pretty much just mix and match between X and Y to do big combos, but it's always pretty spectacular, and you do feel pretty badass smashing people around.

- (Most of) the bosses. Not particularly challenging, but enough variety and ott action for entertainment's sake.

- The early dungeons. The puzzling early/midway through the game is spot on.

- Voice acting. Is really good, tbh. Big, silly etc. But so is the story, it's certainly not cringe inducing.

The bad:

- I had a couple of issues with the game completely freezing in specific spots. NONE of them effected being able to get anywhere or move the game forward, but yeah, not good.

- ability management. Dare I say this game could have been better with Kinect? Or something. Either way, managing all the combat and platforming abilities with LB plus the 4 face buttons was probably pushing a 360 (or ps3) controller too far. (tbh, hotkeys on a PC might actually make things much easier. Curtis?) Towards the end, during later puzzles, you're having to manage 3 platforming abilities, in between the odd fairly serious fight, it means you have to shuffle stuff around a fair bit.

I think I'll spoiler the rest, as I'm gonna touch of specific abilities and story and such:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    A little break now, and then mop up on some side quests and then NG+ here I come.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I should add, for those that may check this when there's a price drop:

This has a season pass. Every copy at the moment is "Limited Edition" so you get the codes, but buying second hand will mean you may need to buy a season pass at 1600 ms points if you want to have everything.

At the moment the only thing that the codes give you access to is The Crucible, which is basically a single player horde/arena mode. (Which is fun, granted, but not vital to the overall game.) it also allows you to send friends weapons.

The season pass apparently discounts later DLC also, but I'll just take my chances when it comes.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Mario Land 3D
    Wow, cracking game. Not as ground-breaking as Mario 64 (for obvious reasons) but an insane accomplishment none the same. Having been absent from Nintendo consoles since the 'Cube it's a right pleasure to once again be gaming in an environment that has - in my mind - always been the purest of experiences. You simply cannot do any better than a delicious Nintendo outing.

Off now to collect the rest of me coins.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Credits are rolling on Dead Space 2.

There was a lull in the middle where I almost stopped enjoying it and an instance of really bad checkpointing that kinda made me lose faith in the automatic checkpointing, but overall waaaaay better than the first game, which I thought was a well-executed chore.

Modern gaming gets a lot of flack for being all linearity and corridors and action set-pieces but I think Dead Space 2 works better for following this formula. The first game was all backtracking and endless contrived excuses for having to fix broken mechanical stuff. In Dead Space 2 you're mainly going from A to B, with more of a feeling of actual purpose. Although you do have to fix arbitrarily broken things now and again, it's a good excuse for buggering about with simple puzzles in zero gravity (fixing things has gone from my least favourite thing about Dead Space to perhaps my favourite thing?).

I liked the little tweaks too. I ended up using stasis in combat quite a bit this time, and I seemed to be able to get more stuff upgraded by the end too. I think it was a mistake to have to buy weapons - I didn't experiment much and actually stuck to a similar weaponset from the first game. If I'd have found other weapons in the environment I'd have maybe given some others a go.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    Having been absent from Nintendo consoles since the 'Cube it's a right pleasure to once again be gaming in an environment that has - in my mind - always been the purest of experiences. You simply cannot do any better than a delicious Nintendo outing.

Don't care what some people may think, but in my mind the Wii has some great games. Mario Gakaxy and it's sequel are amazing and among the greatest games ever. If you haven't played them, do yourself a favour and borrow a Wii with Mario Galaxy. You won't regret it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I got shot down for daring to suggest that the Wii is the best console of the last gen, but I still stand by that.
  • The problem with the Wii is certainly not Nintendo. They made some amazing games for the console. Its just a shame not many others did.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My argument is that the top 30 exclusive games on the Wii outweigh most of the exclusive games on other consoles. For games such as Bioshock etc, you could play them on either platform, or hell, on PC - it didn't really matter. 

But for absolute Wii exclusives, it pushes it above others.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Isn't that kind of an arbitrary condition, to make it exclusives only? The Wii has a completely different level of horsepower to the other two consoles, of course it's going to have more exclusives, it's difficult to port to. And on the other side, why bother to make exclusive games for the 360 and PS3? From a superficial perspective there's very little to distinguish them.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    To me, it makes it a salient argument. The games you can only play on Wii are better than the games you can only play on PS3 or the games you can only play on 360.
  • ERE, it's not just the Wii though. I reckon the GC before it had more exclusives worth playing than on Xbox or PS2. Reasons are probably twofold. One, the obvious Ninty first party amaze games. Two, a lot of third parties seem to just not bother with Nintendo console and do multi platform releases on the other consoles and PC. Result is that Nintendo console ends up with more exclusives to play.
  • Daft argument that.

Same as saying the ps3 is better than a 360 because of its exclusives. The harder (and crapper, in the wii's case) a platform is to develop for, the more exclusives it's obviously going to get.

The Wii does have some good games though, it's just let down by the crappy, wannabe simple (but rarely is) controller and associated control scheme.
  • Ok, not 'better' console, per se, but it's the console you could least do without if you want to play all the best games this generation has to offer. Either of the 360 or PS3 will cover the vast majority of the multi platform releases. But missing a Wii means missing a lot more great games than if you were missing one of the others. In that sense, it's a more essential console than the others.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    To me, it makes it a salient argument. The games you can only play on Wii are better than the games you can only play on PS3 or the games you can only play on 360.

Nope, doesn't add up at all and to be honest is you applying certain conditions to justify your point. If you're looking at best all round package for games then you have to go either 360 or PS3, depending on personal bias.
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Ok, not 'better' console, per se, but it's the console you could least do without if you want to play all the best games this generation has to offer. Either of the 360 or PS3 will cover the vast majority of the multi platform releases. But missing a Wii means missing a lot more great games than if you were missing one of the others. In that sense, it's a more essential console than the others.

I'd have to disagree with that too. If you pick either the 360 or PS3 then you would have access to a much larger catalogue of high quality gaming experiences than just owning a Wii. Sure there are a lot of good exclusives to the Wii, but there are far more games available on the others that aren't on the Wii.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • What Matty sed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!