Just completed
  • I get that in every Halo.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Just finished a rerun of Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones. It's still solid FE, but even more misjudged than I remember it. Various monsters added as enemies and the extra skirmishes outside the main chapters are just a bad idea, and all that leveling up means the latter stages are stupidly easy. Not much thought required to plow through them.

I'm going back to the first GBA game now - familiar but reliable.
  • Both have been on my eBay watch/to buy list for a while. Recommend them?
  • The first one - just 'Fire Emblem' - is the best version I've played and certainly my favourite strategy RPG. Superb level designs and a real challenge to get everything.

Sacred Stones not so much - it still has the basic gameplay intact but the more they fiddle with it the more they fuck it up IMO. The maps aren't as well designed and it's more grindy.

'Shadow Dragon' on DS is somewhere between the two - a little light on features because it's a remake of an older version, but good map designs.
  • Scout wrote:
    I had that weird noisy gun in the wall thing too.

That was in the original too. Guess it just proves that it really is the old game under the bonnet.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    That was in the original too. Guess it just proves that it really is the old game under the bonnet.

I never noticed it in the original, but it seemed to happen all the time in Anniversary.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Spec Ops The Line - boring game amazing story
  • I promise it was there, swirl.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Ghost Recon: Future Sailor
    Finished this afternoon, enjoyed the intimacy of the campaign over CoD/BF3's sprawling bombast. Elite difficulty no great shakes with a few sticky moments, some suspect AI line of sight adding to this. The game strikes a good balance between stealth and all out action with sync shots being very satisfying to set up and execute. Probably the best GR campaign this gen for me, the last mission bringing it home quite nicely.

Large criticisms of the front end, worrying lack of control options and no way of monitoring unmet mission challenges/Ghost score through the mission select without going through the faff of starting a game to get to the briefing area. Cutscenes are bizarrely early gen in production value whereas the game itself does feel quite polished.

[8]
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Kirby's Epic Yarn

Probably the cutest game I've ever played.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    I promise it was there, swirl.

I'm sure you're right, I just don't remember it.
    regmcfly wrote:
    Kirby's Epic Yarn Probably the cutest game I've ever played.

KEY was immense. Everyone should play it. The perfect antidote to a gaming world choking on corridor military shooters.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Castlevania : SOTN

Slightly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, just not that good. Main concern was the structure, I spent a lot of the game wandering around trying to figure out where to go next. I know there's always a degree of that in Metroidesque games but in this it seemed to dominate the experience. Too many dead ends and red herrings.

Difficulty was also an issue; perhaps I ended up over-levelling because I spent so much time searching for the correct route, but the game seemed to start off vaguely challenging and then get easier. This surely is the wrong line of trajectory. Bosses were kind of uninspiring too.

Ultimately, I preferred Circe of the Moon (GBA). It's design may have been more conservative, but it was more satisfying and the game was harder (in a good way) and less confusing. Still, SOTN is a good game and a very welcome addition to my current binge of old-games-I've-never-played. These expensive ebay collectibles from the past + XBLA has allowed me to maintain a passion for gaming in the face of being increasingly alienated by modern video game tastes.

PS Wasn't something EPIC supposed to happen upon completion? Because it didn't - do I have to get 120 stars or something?
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Hmmm. I don't ever remember getting lost, but it was definitely too easy and yes, bosses could've been better. On paper, I also think Circle of the Moon is the better game, but you know, my rose tinted glasses are quite stylish.

The 'epic' was epic back then, but not anymore as either you've heard about it a million times, or played similar epicness in other (Castlevania) games. Did you meet Maria or whoever in the smack bang middle of the castle after taking a lift down? Did she give you something to wear?
  • I definitely spoke to that woman a few times, can't remember if she gave me something to wear or not. I basically got to a bit where I killed that Belmont guy and it just rolled credits, didn't really feel like a proper end. I might FAQ it. I wasn't being sarcastic when I said EPIC btw, it's a great idea. I was just surprised when it didn't happen!

EDIT: I need Holy Glasses, apparently.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Defeated Dark World Dr Fetus in Super Meat Boy.

Boss himself wasn't too difficult, the escape part after will cause me to have nightmares. Hello hand cramp!
    Total completion is now at 81%. Have about 40 bandages and a few Dark Worlds left to try and tidy up
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Shinji wrote:
    Defeated Dark World Dr Fetus in Super Meat Boy.

Boss himself wasn't too difficult, the escape part after will cause me to have nightmares. Hello hand cramp!
    Total completion is now at 81%. Have about 40 bandages and a few Dark Worlds left to try and tidy up

This has inspired me to do the same. As far as I can recall I'm stuck on one of the dark levels on Hell. Will have another crack this week. Fuck the bandages though.
  • You don't need to complete all the Dark World levels to have a pop at Dr. Fetus. 85 levels I think to have a go.

Death count has gone above 6100
  • Mouldywarp wrote:
    I definitely spoke to that woman a few times, can't remember if she gave me something to wear or not. I basically got to a bit where I killed that Belmont guy and it just rolled credits, didn't really feel like a proper end. I might FAQ it. I wasn't being sarcastic when I said EPIC btw, it's a great idea. I was just surprised when it didn't happen! EDIT: I need Holy Glasses, apparently.
    Sounds like you haven't really completed it. The Belmont ending is available the moment you get the bat form, but you've got a lot more exploring to do to really get to the bottom of things. It's difficult to appreciate fully until you've got much further.

The difficulty level was always a bit wobbly though. It's the result of giving you a more freedom to wander about. It's also possible to stumble on very difficult bosses later on, before you're really ready to take them on. I always found that to be part of its charm, though, rather than most games of this type where your 'free roaming' is actually guided to the point of near linearity.
  • Galamoth was great. My favourite was Olrox, though.
  • JonB wrote:
    Mouldywarp wrote:
    I definitely spoke to that woman a few times, can't remember if she gave me something to wear or not. I basically got to a bit where I killed that Belmont guy and it just rolled credits, didn't really feel like a proper end. I might FAQ it. I wasn't being sarcastic when I said EPIC btw, it's a great idea. I was just surprised when it didn't happen! EDIT: I need Holy Glasses, apparently.
    Sounds like you haven't really completed it. The Belmont ending is available the moment you get the bat form, but you've got a lot more exploring to do to really get to the bottom of things. It's difficult to appreciate fully until you've got much further. The difficulty level was always a bit wobbly though. It's the result of giving you a more freedom to wander about. It's also possible to stumble on very difficult bosses later on, before you're really ready to take them on. I always found that to be part of its charm, though, rather than most games of this type where your 'free roaming' is actually guided to the point of near linearity.

Indeed, the design is radical even by today's standards. But I think I prefer the more rigid design of COTM. I've explored a bit more of the game beyond Belmont but I think I got a bit tired of backtracking through the castle, not really sure where I was going. I definitely haven't finished with it though, but I need a short break.

Still can't shake the feeling that it massively influenced Dark Souls though. The openness of it, the RPG elements, the preposterous beasts, the weird WTF bits where something mental and genuinely creepy will happen with no explanation... I wonder if Hidetaka Miyazaki is a Castlevania fan or if it's just a coincidence?
  • NOT SURE WHERE YOU'RE GOING?!?!?!

n00b
  • I'm easily confused!
  • Mini Ninjas.  I'll stop banging on about it now.  Good stuff.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Completed Alan Wake this afternoon, although it's not fair to write a few paragraphs about it yet as I intend to do the Special Episodes DLC first.
  • Finished Papo & Yo. 

It's a tough one to form an opinion on this one. The theme is laudable but the game has a lot of rough edges. Graphically, it's got moments of prettiness but in general it's fairly mediocre looking.

The puzzles weren't that bad, nothing too challenging and I didn't get bored during it (not that it lasts too long, about 4 hours)
    Ending is quite moving, enough to give a few shivers.

It feels wrong to be harsh on a game that's trying something so different thematically (and some reviews have been very harsh, it's not a [4]) but on the other hand it's like they put all their originality juice into the theme and then stuck a bog standard game on top of it.

For me it's down as a wasted opportunity but one I'm glad I experienced
  • Reads as I'd imagined. Novel scenario and top-tier game design rarely emerge holding hands.
  • I'd certainly like to give it a try.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Just got the end credits on New Super Mario Bros. 2, lawwwl. Needs moar coins.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Already?!

I played a couple of levels, switched off, came later and it hadn't saved. Apparently only saves after every mini castle or proper castle! D'oh!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Rage 

Had some good highs, and a reasonable length so as to be enjoyable without outstaying its welcome (albeit the ending did seem to happen pretty abruptly).  The tech definitely impressed, but not all the game lived up to it.  But heh, it's an FPS, what do you expect?

[7]

(PS: Highlight from the credits: Myongsuk Rim from Zenimax Asia.  Well done Mum & Dad.)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!