theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I suppose it just seems weird attaching an SP to something that previously was MP only.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Seems a bit harsh on MAG to compare it to BF 3 seeing as it was single format and had nowhere near comparable an advertising budget lavished on it nor was it an established IP.

I'm still not convinced BF 3 would be selling a shit ton less by now if it had no SP campaign. It's the same with CoD. Nearly everyone i've spoken to about CoD only buy it for the MP and some haven't even played the campaign since MW3 was released.
  • The campaign is about all I would play on COD. Then again I'm not buying it anyway, wouldn't go near it with barge pole, no sir thank you.
  • EA boast about 1.3 million premium subscribers from a BF3 user base of around 15 million. COD has 2 million paid and 10 million free Elite users from a user base  of 25 million.

Activision and EA will have much more accurate numbers than this. If they thought they could save a few million dollars by not developing a campaign every year, I'm sure they'd do it.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I am now convinced.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    EA boast about 1.3 million premium subscribers from a BF3 user base of around 15 million. COD has 2 million paid and 10 million free Elite users from a user base  of 25 million. Activision and EA will have much more accurate numbers than this. If they thought they could save a few million dollars by not developing a campaign every year, I'm sure they'd do it.

Assuming the 1.3m are well into the MP to cough for Premium, I'd love to know where they all are. On PC at least.

server1.jpg
    server2.jpg
  • I'd put money on most of them being on console, to be honest.
  • Too busy punching themselves in the fuck, hopefully.

I got all the BF3 SP achievements, the campaign was a complete pain in the arse on hard. As usual, difficulty comes not in advanced AI tactics but bullshit telepathic, eagle eyed AI. Used a guide for the perfect run in the jet section, shooting the guys before the building drops was doable but not enjoyable. SP was pretty uninspiring all round.

My biggest gaming disappointment of this gen, MP particularly.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • And that's Super Mario 3D Land done! Just the basic game, not tried the special worlds yet. Ended up with around 65 lives left, 122 stars done, just racing through, not replaying any levels for stars. I tried my manfullest to avoid using the disco tanuki suits when they appeared. The final castle was lovely, perhaps one of my favourite levels ever in a Mario platformer. I used a small stack of lifes in beating it, but most of that was just a matter of learning/solving the boss battle part of the level. I stumbled about midway through my first go on the level, but up to that point, it was the closest I've been to that exhilarating feeling of breezing through a challenging level on the first run, because the design makes so much sense that no learning is required, just pure platforming instinct. Last time I felt like that was Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, and a huge relief after muddling through my first Mario 3D experience feeling a bit put off because my old 2D skill just wasn't there yet. I might still fall in love with this 3D Mario lark.
    Spoiler:
  • The light side of Cotton Alley in SMB. Just finished the last level and pulled the A grade. Feeling bad ass
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Portal 2

Excellent. Finally a Valve game I like.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Play Half-Life.

Or perhaps not as it's probably a game that's so old now newcomers will vomit their last meal up as soon as the menu appears.
  • Bollockoff

I have played Half Life, Half Life 2 and team fortress. Loved TF art style but not really into competitive mp.
    HL/2 arethe most soulless, characterless, overhyped games I have played tbh. Boring doesnt even come close.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    HL/2 arethe most soulless, characterless, overhyped games I have played tbh. Boring doesnt even come close.

1320928143877.gif

Did you play Half Life when it was first released?
  • Honestly didnt play HL until awhile after release. Played HL 2 in release.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Warhammer 40k: Space Marine. The first few hours of the game are quite fun disembowling hordes of Orks and making heads explode but once you start to encounter more and more enemies who can cause lots of damage at range like Rokkit Launchers and Chaos Marines you wonder if one of the games tag lines "cover is for the weak" is just a bit of bravado. Since you'l be thankful for any large container or chunk fallen masonry you can get behind.

Recharging your health from melee grappling is a good idea but only giving you the health right at the end of a (sometimes very lengthy) execution animation caused be more than a few frustrating deaths even with a full shield.

There's a very obvious point by which the game starts to get dull and I think the only reason I pushed on was my old teen love for the 40k franchise. And I still think games like this are a poor use of the universe and we need another game like Space Hulk.

Exterminatus, which is the name of SM's co-op segment is fairly addictive fun and I might be playing that for a few evenings till I fancy deleting it and downloading my free Dead Space 2.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I did enjoy 40k, only 5-6 hours of gaming because it only has one trick, but it was fun. Also a proper end boss for once.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    A proper end boss? I had to kill a few waves of chaos goons before getting into a falling QTE segment job done. Unless that's what you mean as proper.
  • Finished the main quest of KoA today. I now only have the Teeth of Naros DLC to complete and one more side quest chain (Scholia Arcadia). I have absolutely loved the game, it plays well and looks lovely. The huge amount of side quests can be a bit too intimidating (I have about 40 to do) and walking around the game world could get slightly tedious due to all the enemies (thank god for quick travel though). Yet these weren't the end of the world and didn't stop me loving the game.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    A proper end boss? I had to kill a few waves of chaos goons before getting into a falling QTE segment job done. Unless that's what you mean as proper.

I meant like an ACTUAL LAST GUY. Rather than Uncharted 3's a bunch of dudes (although I guess you do have to take care of that too)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Stop biting your nails you dirty boy.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So Tempy and I finished Resi 5 tonight. Ha been a long long journey with some great moments, and lot of "FUCKSAKE" moments.

Lows
    QTEs in the middle of cut scenes. There's me enjoying the ridiculousness of a Wesker speech when suddenly X appears on screen. I miss and we die. I'm not good at QTEs. GONNAE not, Capcom.

GunZombies
    Just no need. Then when the tubby mini gun chaps rolled round all I could do was giggle. Tempy took care of them anyway.

HIGHS

DAT Boss
    Actually, all of them, generally. I'm a sucker for a good boss fight and there were some crackers in here. Tempy and I spending 30 minutes fucking around with flanethrowers on a 10 min boss was a hoot, but some bosses were also genuinely impressive - particularly the first boss one on a boat (can't remember the name of the dude now.)

Some great co op moments
    I did enjoy popping lickers coming out of holes while tempy worked along the top, and in the caves half one of us have to hold a light while the other protected. Little things like that make me think that 6 will be alright.

Racism, awkwardness aside, I had fun - although it's really only a hoot when you have someone to co op with. It's not a horror but it is a big load of fun. Dumb, fucking awful fun.

Plus I can now say again I've beaten every main Resi Game (including Zero and CV)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    You're missing one high.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bwahaha I had to do that boulder bit. Fucking ridiculous UNTIL YOU REALISE CHRIS' ARMS
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary

If you were to show this to someone uninformed, they'd struggle to differentiated it from the many FPSs released in recent years. The gameplay is still perfectly tuned, and the fresh lick of paint means it looks as pretty as its descendants. This game really demonstrates just how stagnant the FPS genre has become.

The new graphics does occasionally reveal the man behind the curtain, though. Groups of enemies that would originally have been shrouded in fog or shadow stand around waiting for you to trigger their encounter. I also found a recurring bug, in which guns dropped by enemies would get stuck in the wall, and rotate slowly whilst making a noise like a dying hard drive.

Overall, though, this still plays brilliantly, and emphasizes just how badly wrong they got a lot of Reach. Only the occasionally infrequent check-pointing reveals this game's age. And for £9 from Amazon, there's no reason not to explore Halo again.

[9]
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I had that weird noisy gun in the wall thing too.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Glad I'm not the only one.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!