3D Modelling/CAD
  • So is it worth me dabbling into Blender if I get some Skillshare access?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Blender is great, and in the end all things learned are transferable to another software package if you need to. Blender is big in the indie scene too, B wishes he could use it at work but is stuck with bloated Maya that prefers crashing over actually running.

I don't know how good the skillshare tutorials are, what kinda things are you looking to build? High poly, low poly, game ready, animating?

I mean, you could even use it to edit video or do 2d animation, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.
  • I dunno if you need Skillshare TBH, plenty of good video tutorials on youtube etc.
    Just grab Blender and get stuck in.
  • I have no idea, I just want to try and learn something vaguely practical?
  • Blender or Cinema4D are both great for new comers.
    Both have nice tidy interfaces. Complexity is impossible to avoid but these are about as good as to be expected.
    Advantage of Blender is that it is free but unfortunately isnt widely used in industry so a switch will probably happen eventually if a career happens.
    C4D is more widely used and is now integrated into After Effects which is cool. It is definitely not free however so would need torrenting.

Max and Maya are the industry standards and most widely used. I haven't used Maya in a decade so can't comment personally.
    3ds Max is a buggy mess that Autodesk seem to actively go out of their way to break on an annual basis. It's also Windows only, something to consider if a Mac is every likely.
  • Left click now innit
    Yeah, there's a bunch of tweaks that make a lot of sense IMO, more consistent to how most other software works.
    Interesting that Gurt, will have a deep dive later tomorrow. Do they mention 4k setups at all? I'm just about done with 3DS Max now, Autodesk's support is a joke and I find it barely usable even with 4k work arounds. C4D is better but not ideal.

Not sure about 4K stuff, there is scaling slider in the options, but I don't know how well it handles high DPI displays. I wouldn't be suprised if it's better than the typical commercial options though. I feel like much of the open source / small developer stuff that's out there now has really started to surpass much of the 'industry standard' software in some ways. Take the DAW Reaper for example, a very lightweight program developed by a few people that has really become one of the most powerful bits of audio software out there, and all without that stupid bloat and DRM. Blender is a bit different but similar in terms of pushing features forward without being limited by the usual upgrade/licence cycles.

I'm pretty much eschewing all the usual paid-for software now, such as the Adobe suite which is a bit of a ripoff for often buggy and un-optimised software. The free/open source/indie stuff out there can usually yield results that are just as good, and any limitations/missing features are kinda fun to try and work around anyway. Like I'm quite looking forward to trying to make use of Blender for video editing, for basic stuff at least.

For learning how to use Blender, as usual the best thing to do is to just set yourself a basic project and dive in. Like I started with messing with materials and lighting after seeing this (found on an image search, in a forum somewhere) -

apollonian_gasket_3d_03_2016_sauermann.png

I've been playing around with making fractal and generative art for a bit, I saw that and it just blew me away. Got me into playing about with with the nodes to create different materials and effects, I really like the node editor actually, pretty easy and fun way to play around with making complex materials and surfaces.

For tutorials; those Blender Guru vids on YT are pretty great to learn about how various parts of Blender work, as well as fundamentals of 3D rendering. Keep in mind that some advice on how to do stuff may have been superseded in newer versions of Blender, such as with the principled shader, and the filmic colourspace thing that solves a bunch of issues. These are all very useful vids -

^this is very very useful once you get into rendering out some scenes at high quality, could save a lot of time. The denoise filter is a pretty big deal, I think it's basically the same kind of thing as what Nvidia is using to make raytracing on the new RTX cards even remotely viable for realtime graphics.
  • Cheers Gurt.
    Yeah I think some.of the bigger names out there have rested on their laurels a fair bit.
    I don't mind the Adobe Suite and it's pricing, rarely have issues with it and I use 4 or 5 programmes so at about £50 per month it's an expense I can absorb.

Autodesk are piss takers. Max is a right state but they want £160 per month for it alone. I pay for Adobe, I'm not paying for Max at that price.

Decided this year I'm definitely going to retire Max where possible and focus on c4d. I'm bound somewhat by what clients use and my main client that binds me uses c4d
  • Aye, it's a bit different if you are working professionally with this stuff, for paying clients. I'm just creating for myself at the moment, so don't need to worry about that for now. The bloat in some programs is probably the most egregious thing for me, Ableton Live for example annoys me with it's pricing tiers, in order to get the best features like Max 4 Live for example you need to fork out for the top Suite option, which also comes with vast sample and loop libraries. Nice if you want them, but if you don't then it's a bit irritating paying for a bunch of stuff you don't need.
  • Cinema4d can be frustrating because it uses a similar model.
    There are different packs, Visualize, Mograph etc but there are tools in one you may want in the other so the best solution is to just stump up for the full Studio version which comes with a load of 3d models and premade textures. The textures are alright but I would never use most of the models.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    Blender is great, and in the end all things learned are transferable to another software package if you need to. Blender is big in the indie scene too, B wishes he could use it at work but is stuck with bloated Maya that prefers crashing over actually running. I don't know how good the skillshare tutorials are, what kinda things are you looking to build? High poly, low poly, game ready, animating? I mean, you could even use it to edit video or do 2d animation, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

Blender is sick.
    One of my favourite opensource projects.

The modelling tools are great.

It also does most other things than well enough (texturing, animation, event video editing).
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • alright lads I made a box, where do I sign up for my thousands of money

Y77Diph.jpeg

I also got recommended a course on Udemy. Tenner for a 50+ hour series of video tutorials, seems good value if nothing else.
  • Nice one, good start.

For a tenner you may as well go for it. Although I want to kill the guy on their youtube adverts.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Good start with the lighting.
    I remember the ace job you did with the fantasy model painting from other threads too...

You might be a natural texture artist if you're into this...
  • Tempy wrote:
    alright lads I made a box, where do I sign up for my thousands of money

Y77Diph.jpeg

I also got recommended a course on Udemy. Tenner for a 50+ hour series of video tutorials, seems good value if nothing else.

A fine acorn from which to sprout your immense oak tree of skill.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I bet it's a mimic.
  • Thought I would give this a bump given Tempy's good news.
    Now the big boy work starts :D
    I was wondering the other day if you had kept up with it or not.

I've recently started using Coronoa after a potential new client uses it as their preference. Bloody love it. So simple to get going with and the in built library is the sickest to use of all the renderers of used.

I have also been doing some stuff with Forest Pack today. Get a real nice looking meadow grass going.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Wait... What's 10p doing?
  • HE BOUT TO LEARN SOME THINGS
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Bit of a work in progress but happy so far.
    Not over the moon with the brick colour and it needs breaking up with a something on the front face.
    Interior needs populating as well.
    6EWaW5O.jpg
  • Any of your companies need new wideformat devices, cad printers/plotters etc i'm your man.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Bit of a work in progress but happy so far. Not over the moon with the brick colour and it needs breaking up with a something on the front face. Interior needs populating as well. 6EWaW5O.jpg

I like the lighting and the composition work... :]

The light filtering through the leaves for example... Did you place an object off camera for that?
    And the grass looks partly modelled, but I can't be sure.
  • Liv, stick a potted tree on the section of deck to the right of the door to break up the section of brick without forcing an architectural detail into the facade and cluttering it up. Imho and that.
  • @dyna
    Yeah, got a couple of trees off camera to get that overhang and some shadowing.

The grass is kinda cool and something I picked up for this. There are two small clumps of grass, a clump of clovers and some Daisy's as separate models. They are then scattered as instances across the ground with some randomised scaling and rotation. Gives the effect of it being fully modeled but without slowing performance.

@rouj
    Yeah that's what I was thinking, either a potted plant or a chair. I might put a couple of simple wall sconces either side of the door as well.
  • Cool cool, I don't like wall sconces by doors as they always HEAVY IMHO never match the door properly and look a bit out of place. Uplighters recessed in the deck are the way to go in fantasy building world for washing walls with a bit of light in the kingdom of Rouj.
  • Cheers man. Will have a think/play
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Looking good.  It definitely needs some asymmetry to break it up a bit; would you consider vines on one side or spread unevenly across and down one wall?  Grime always helps, get some dirt on it stat.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz

• 2.8 is a major upgrade over past versions from recent years, it really is a big deal. Tons of stuff to be excited about and new things to try.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yeah. It looks amazing. The new viewpoint stuff is great.
    And the corporate sponsorship is interesting.

Ubisoft and Epic put a load of money into the project, in return for first line support for the devs, which sounds like they want internal teams to adopt it.

That's going to become a major industry trend, I reckon.

It was always on the cards, as you can't beat the price...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!