Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So guy in a video I’m watching recommends Gateron Clear switches.
  • Without trying a bunch of things, as in actually typing/gaming with them mounted in an actual keyboard, you won't be able to easily tell what kind of switches you like the best. For gaming/typing linear red switches are a good place to start.

Clears are the same as reds but with much lighter springs, I wouldn't recommend them for the average person unless you know you have a super light typing style. Many people would find them annoying due to accidental actuation just by the weight of your fingers. Typical reds are pretty light as it is.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cheers!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So I'm thinking the Akko is getting good reviews and maybe the brown switches as a middle ground between clicking and linear. I'm never going to be competitively gaming and they, on paper at least, seem a nice balance.
  • Browns can be alright, I'm not a fan personally. The tactile feedback is very minimal, more of a scratchy bump than a clean break and collapse. They should offer a little bit of resistance to accidental actuation however, and for your use they should be fine. There's not really that many similar switches that get used often for prebuilt boards that would be much better, you're really looking at Zealios or some odd Kailh or Outemu switch to get a nicer feel.
  • Also If you are not a confident touch typist, linear switches aren't ideal as you get no feedback for when the switch actuates. Some tactility can help there, but if you really want good tactility for typing or something then you have to start looking at Kailh Box switches, expensive Zealios, or really expensive Topre boards.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I've gone with the Akko for now, should be good enough for what I need and picked it up for less than £60. Cheers for the, as usual, good advice.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Aye, lovely piece of tech that. Wtb!
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I have spent a ridiculous amount of money on two very nice mechanical keyboards.  First I got the K-Type, which is tenkeyless and that has Kailh speed gold switches.  They've got a ridiculously high activation point and are super loud.  It's all white and I currently have it scrolling a classy miami vice colour theme.

Then I picked up my favourite board, the Nightfox 65% with Halo True switches that were designed for it.  These are really nice to type on for me, they're quite light in the initial activation with a medium click and then get heavy quickly.  Once I got used to them I started noticing I don't bottom out the switch half as much as I do on a normal or the K-Type.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    New monitor arrived:

rTTeqZl.jpg
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nice. Love my curved monitor.
  • aw no longer famous
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Oh man, 144hz is niiiice!
  • Try an FPS like Doom, or Dirt Rally to really see how it transformative it can be for gameplay.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    It's already startling just navigating windows. I'm glad I opted for this over the 4k 60hz monitors now. Plus the display is gorgeous to look at. Image I shared really doesn't do it justice.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    4k 60 for life. Or until I can afford 1440 120
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    1440 144 ya scrub ;-)
  • I think Haak's is 165Hz which is even nicer. You might want to check the Windows display setting to make sure what Hz it gets set to, as sometimes Windows will default to 60 when messing around with graphics settings or drivers.

You really can notice the additional Hz when moving the mouse around, looks more continous compared to 60Hz's noticeable trail. That and the improved input latency makes moving the mouse around on the average 60Hz monitor seem a bit broken in comparison.
  • Also with Freesync you shouldn't need to use vsync again in most games. You should check what the rated range is for yours, mine is like 40-144 FPS for it to work. You need to limit the framerate to not go over 165Hz or you'll get minor tearing, if the game doesn't have a built in limiter in the settings then you can use Rivatuner which is very simple to use.

Disabling Vsync and running the game in fullscreen mode should give you optimal input latency and smoothness, also if you can enable ultra low latency mode in the graphics card driver settings panel, if yours supports it.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Yeah it's 165hz with display port and 144hz with HDMI - 144hz is fine for me at the moment. Went through a few optimisation and calibration guides online and set everything up now for Freesync, HDR and all the other bits 'n bobs.
  • But does it have a Scart plug? My tv does
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Ffs, just accidentally overheated my laptop again.

Thought the fans were on, but they weren't.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • That is baaddd.
    Never turn your fans of in a pc.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • sorry, to be clear, externasl fans, not the internals.
  • To be clear... Then can't spell. Lol.

So yeah the issue was I had the laptop in its little knook for when we plug it into TV....

uNrMoZk.jpg

Mostly we're streaming vid and it's sitting on the external fan and it's fine.

But yesterday I was actually playing ghost of a tale, which is surprisingly labor intensive I think, and the externals weren't on, and the house was hot anyway.

Will leave it out of there when I can from now on for gaming. Might also drill some holes in the back of the cabinet.
  • Aye, a laptop/pc needs room to breathe. Especially when gaming.
    Small enclosures like that will heat up quickly.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

• This is very cool tech, seemingly simple too, I've never like liquid coolers for their additional pumps and other things that will go wrong eventually. Previous testing on a prototype of that has it beating 360mm radiator water coolers.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm starting to feel a bit thick with the Xbox gamepass on pc stuff. So I've definitely got ultimate, and I managed to download Forza and phoenix point. Then I went for outer worlds and it told me I didn't have ultimate and only would download on pc. At times it lets me at games and at others it seems to not recognise I have ultimate.

Anyone else the same?

Also is there an up to date pc gamepass list?
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    My Game Pass doesn't seem to communicate from PC to Xbox as I've had the same issue trying to download games across platforms.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!