Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Rouj has convinced me to whack GZ back on tonight and experiment.
  • i don't remember it being different... i thought it had all the same corner/cover takedowns etc. there are plenty videos online but youtube bloxxxxxed at work.

of course, there could be a very good spoileriffic reason for his moveset being different. aside from only having one arm.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Basically it comes down to - 

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Mg5 love means it's getting fired up this weekend

• You have to hope this is some sort of elaborate joke by Konami.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Considering every other game on Steam is a survival game, they'll probably do OK out of it.
  • Ffs Konami, you just keep twisting that knife don't ya!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • All we need now is for Konami to release it as an early access title and we'll be all set!

No but seriously somewhere Kojima is watching this and pretending he doesn't really care and that he's too busy working on Death Stranding to pay attention, but on the inside he is crying into his pillow as he watches an IP he built get gang raped.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I stuck this on again tonight to push my cheevos over the 50% mark and I felt the urge to binge again. Konami utterly spoiled me with esoteric rewards after months of not logging on so I might actually try FOB's. Apparently if you don't extract/kill anyone the defender doesn't get a retaliation wormhole so you're free to try and go for infiltration.

Srsly co-op stealth in the main game with realistic damage would be plenty better than Survive.
  • Roujin wrote:
    All we need now is for Konami to release it as an early access title and we'll be all set! No but seriously somewhere Kojima is watching this and pretending he doesn't really care and that he's too busy working on Death Stranding to pay attention, but on the inside he is crying into his pillow as he watches an IP he built get gang raped.

Like Mikami crying re the Resi series I suppose.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I think a good six months away from this has helped. The story is still nonsense. The ghosts are still shit. The development timers are still broken. But playing the total stealth late-game missions and the game really shines when it is just you, a dog with an electric zapping knife, and a non-lethal weapons loadout and a helicopter blaring The Final Countdown as you leg it to the extraction point.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I had a pang for this seeing Webbo mention it in the rules thread.

I'd forgotten why I drifted off, but you've just reminded me of the story and those awful Ghosts. I'll get back onto it at some point,
    Spoiler:
  • I dont know if I'm allowed to use these items in a repeat of one particularly annoying mission but my plan next time is to use two weapons and one item. Develop these ASAP if you can:
    Spoiler:
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • So I just did mission 40-something (41 maybe) which is a redux of Over the Fence, with total stealth requirement.

Every base should have this. The game shines when you are meant to play stealthy, not when forced to fight shit bosses.
  • A lot of the missions are worth a few separate attempts, focusing on different optional goals each time. It can really change how you approach it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Definitive version of this can be had for £19.99 at the game collection ATM
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I might self impose a subsistence run in the near future.
  • Ok, extreme versions of sniper fite and caravan of courage can fuck right off.
  • The extreme version of Quiet's mission was very tough, but just about doable. The Peace Talker one with those super soldiers seemed impossible to me. Could only sneak past them, which at least makes the last part of the mission easier.
  • Traitors Caravan 2 = game goes into the bin

Whomever designed that level is a cunt of the highest order. Absolutely shit level design.
  • Vela wrote:
    Traitors Caravan 2 = game goes into the bin Whomever designed that level is a cunt of the highest order. Absolutely shit level design.

Git gud.
  • Nah, I am good at it and the whole series. Its a shit level.
  • Extract the truck and leg it. Decoys are useful too.
  • Did all that each time, still failed. It's just frastrating and kills the fun. Deleted the save in fury, game is going towards Switch credit. 

There's a vast difference between shit level design and a genuine challenge. MGSV ghosts are as bad as halo 3 wall flood in the cortana level.
  • I cqc'd the funk out them.
  • Right, so I got a bit shitty when I deleted this game but found out it didnt delete the save. So being the stubborn idiot I am, I reinstalled the game and it popped me right back mid-mission where I last hit a checkpoint.

This is how I beat it:

Quiet + tranq sniper to keep them busy
    Regular air support with sleeping gas
    Extracted vehicle
    Hiding in a cardboard box
    Decoys down the road
    Hijacked the remaining tank
    Drove as far as I could to the edge of the mission area before tank exploded
    Legged it the rest of the way

What a cunt of a mission, but it is done.
  • I just extracted the truck and ran out of the area on the horse.

There's 3 absolute bastard missions I struggled with. They alone probably took me 6 hours.

48: Code Talker
    50: Sahelanthropus

Can't remember what the other one was called but you was being attacked by a shit load of tanks with a helicopter thrown in for good measure.

Those 3 all took me bloody ages.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Code talker was amazing. The mission with the tanks was an absolute bastard for me too, I believe it is 51.
  • I'm only on mission 15 or something on this, despite really enjoying it when if was realesed. I'll go back to it at some point I suppose.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • The one where you have to steal a truck is just about driving it a bit out of the compound then ballooning it out. If the tank mission is the one I think then all you have to do is park your horse on the road in front of the tank then balloon it when it stops. The tricky bit is finding the right order to take the tanks but it's not a long mission. My first go saw me chasing the absolute worst red-dot on my radar.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!