• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Probably, but being a minority view doesn't make it invalid.

You're in Brexit Britain now, minorities only exist as scapegoats.
  • AJ wrote:
    Djornson wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    I, for instance, have zero interest in almost all games that are just a challenge with nothing more.
    AJ wrote:
    Geometry Wars is extremely good, mechanically. As there's no content progression, I fire it up for a quick blast every couple of months and that's it.

Not quite zero interest then? 

As Tempy says, hard thing to discuss because there is no definition of what is experience and what is game. 

I, for instance, would argue DOOM is game only, there is no experience, no emotion, nothing to learn, just entertainment.

Note the almost. Unless it's going to do something new, I wouldn't even look at another twin stick shooter.

Doom is providing cool things to look at and, with its story, a semblance of intrigue.

Tempy is spot on, though; there's really nowhere for this conversion to go beyond defining terms and some people arguing something is pointless because they aren't interested in it. But then, that's the case with a lot of discussions and people still enjoy them.

Yeah i'm not saying those discussion can't be productive for individuals, and it's certainly interesting to compare and contrast opinions.

People will side with specific definitions, and it'll be interesting to see why people discount or approve certain things, and how they're qualifying that.

• There is a growing trend of games becoming experiences. For the most this isn't a black and white but more a developer using one to carry the other. However there are ever more releases that are looking to create an emotional response over a skilled based challenge that has been the standard for games from the early inception. Thoughts? Examples? Argue?

I would argue that the biggest clash between experience vs gameplay is at the intersection. That is, when one of them (experience) stops you doing the other (gameplay).

The first time this annoyed me was in MGS2 in the final Ray unit fight. Raiden get's overwhelmed by dozens of them which I had been happily popping off and cartwheeling around til then. The modern examples are the Uncharted-alikes where robo-platforming and cinematics carry the bombastic moments entirely.

The counter-examples that come to mind are Wonderful 101 and Resident Evil 4. Those games have a greater emphasis on making you get yourself out of trouble (RE4 barn siege, W101 everything). Contrast with Uncharted rusty-pipe-robo-platforming, a skill-based approach would make you do it all yourself with more than just holding up on the analog stick. There aren't many non-platforming games that do that though, with the standout example in my mind being Oddworld Stranger.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Online/Offline was good. I miss it.
  • I think the term content need discussing, too.

Just realised that earlier I incorrectly expressed my desire for content that interests me as a desire for "experience" (in quotes cause it doesn't actually work for the idea we've assigned it to).
  • I'm a fan of pure gameplay and wouldn't want anything else in some games (who would ask for Resogun to be turned into an experience?).

But a blend of experience and gameplay can also work and add to the overall, err... experience of playing the thing. Dark Souls is a good example - whether the lore or the use of scenic views to convey a sense of the world, none of which detracts from what you're doing. With other games, like Bioshock Infinite, the experience of the story doesn't gel with the gameplay, and you end up with two disjointed parts. Or, in something like new Tomb Raider, the need to develop the character or create cinematic action sequences hobbles the gameplay with scripted events to a degree. In those cases, I'd rather have the gameplay of the old Tomb Raider or a more straightforward FPS.

What I'm also not into at all (I may have mentioned this before) is the sort of pure experience games such as Rapture and Gone Home (the only ones I've played TBH). Both are contrived and dull and I don't see what it adds to the situation that I'm moving through them and activating the scripted events rather than just watching them. I did love Journey, but as AJ says there is stuff to do in that as you go through if you want. Lots of little challenges you can set yourself which actually work with the experience rather than against it.

TL;DR - I always need some gameplay, but experience is also important as long as it complements the gameplay.
  • JonB wrote:
    who would ask for Resogun to be turned into an experience?

I probably would, if I was required to play it for some reason.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Different tact: Movies have zero gameplay, and we're ok with those. So struggling with something that's 90% movie 10% game is either a problem of expectation or an inability for anything meaningful mid-spectrum (at today's quality standards).

I'd argue a bit of both - expecting "games" to be the same is a nonsense, and you need to be expecting something mechanically sparse if our end playing Virginia. But most 90%/10% games above also only offer about 10% "movie" too, so you're only getting what feels like 20% of a complete package.

(With apologies for the nonsense math.)
  • Stanley Parable should be discussed, what with it providing an experience that other mediums can't really, while having the most limited interaction. But I'm not sure what's going on cause I haven't slept, so won't start.

Should maybe reference choose your own adventure books, too. Oh, wait, that's kind of the same thing as Stanley, isn't it?
  • For me, the big change has been VR. Still cant say I would be onbaord for long stretches but having tried a few things on my mates ps4 - namely the Star Wars game and resi demo - while both work as games the main draw is the experience. The Batman game is also limited but there is no denying there is fun to be had. I'd now be willing to sacrifice quite a lot of gameplay for an immersive experience - discussing it with said friend, I would love a cliffhanger game. As someone who experiences vertigo when 2 feet off the ground, I'll never be able to risk mountain climbing so I'd be curious if VR allows me to experience some of the thrills but with zero risk (well, I could still fall over I suppose)

Generally, I enjoy an immersive story (and not necessarily a good one, most games don't manage that) but I've always find I need to enjoy the game part. So the Arkham Batman games, Spec Ops, Wolfenstien all get thumbs up because they marry generally good game mechanics to generally good story. But If I don't click with the game, its all for nothing as I discovered with Bioshock infinite. The world seemed so interesting to begin with and its lovely to look at but the generally empty gameplay only resulted in me seeing the cracks in the façade of the story and noticing how empty the gameworld was as well, along with how silly the plot was.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I'm not sure you can distinguish the two in the way described. Certainly the opening post needs to set the parameters if such a question is going to be asked.

If I'm playing R-type dodging and shooting like a motherfucker im not emotionally detatched solely going: this is great mechanics.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The Last Guardian is a poor example to use here, as almost everything that is game about it detracts from the experience, unless you're willing to turn a blind eye. Even better if both eyes are blind and spinning in their sockets.

Just take the camera, it has to show your character at all times as you're in direct control of him, but that sees it end up stuck in walls or showing extreme close ups or Trico's arse and nothing else. If TLG was an animated movie you'd lose that completely, and have an advantage of the camera being positioned by a director to best show characters, environment etc and get far better shots than the in game camera call allow.

With Destiny, I argued that the story got in the way of the game. It was pants, but more than that you had scripted unskippable cut scenes involving characters you didn't care about which made little sense. They were poor first time round, but by the time you'd heard it for the tenth time they were miserable. Better off without them in my opinion, those that want to fill in the blanks could do so with the lore that was available through the grimoires.

So I think it's possible for both to exist and complement each other to make the game better overall, and I'll think on a few examples of that later (Dark Souls springs to mind), but if you don't implement either the game part or the experience part properly you'll detract from the other.
  • We're also getting into the realms of something I was going to get into in the elicited emotions thread; there's a difference between, say, the frustration that you can't let somebody through in Papers, Please, and the frustration that an end of level boss is spamming an attack that loops faster than your recovery. There's a difference between the relief when you finally beat that boss, and the relief you feel  fete a certain story point works out in a narrative game.  (Sorry, it's difficult to provide examples without being spoilers.)  I suppose it boils down to there being a difference between emotional response to narrative and emotional response to gameplay, even when we might use the same word to describe that emotion. You can play one off the other (Uncharted 4, chapter 11) but it's unusual for developers to even try it, let alone succeed.
  • Andy, do some of the side quests in Deus Ex approach what you're getting at? Like saving some people from getting hauled off to the gulag but only because you snuck through places to find gear and info to help them?

All its missing is a bit better writing and more complicated action to get stuff done, but it ticks both boxes.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Sorry, haven't played Deus Ex.
  • It's academic I guess if you've played it. It's a side quest which is optional, not always discovered by the player and it has a story thread along the lines of papers please only without repercussions for the player character.
  • Build your experience on top of gameplay, not the other way round. That's how I like it.
  • Ideally they should be integrated, not one stuck on top of the other.
  • Actually, I think I'd say that building an experience on top of gameplay is entirely the wrong way to do it.

That's too extreme in wording, but I can't be arsed to go into more detail now.
  • Integrated yes, but - in my view - gameplay should always come first. Take Halo for example. The experience was being a Spartan in huge environments. The gameplay was that core loop of weapon juggling and battling the intelligent AI.
  • You could have put any story or experience over that gameplay loop, but getting that right was key to that particular game.
  • You've kind of contradicted yourself there. I wish I was more awake to talk about this, but it'll have to wait.
  • Somebody come up with a different term than experience for the thing. I'm gonna zone or in front of Daredevil.
  • No, that's completely not it.
  • Or not. I don't know why I'm still here.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Experience in the narrative sense bores me when it comes to games. 

However experience in terms of the feelings one gets from the mechanics of play is another thing - it is what makes videogames what they are - at least it's what made them what they are in the early days.

When I get good at a 2D shooter and have learned the levels a bit, the feeling I get from taking a level on , so close to my skill limits is pleasurable. There is something in the feedback of an interactive system. I suppose it is something akin to the pleasure people get when they get good at a more kinetic pastime such as a sport or craft.

An example. The switching between normal and laser in Mushi Futari to optimise gem generation and auto pickup is, when merged with the enemy pattern design , highly pleasurable and it isn't something you will get from a narrative. It defies analysis but I know it when I experience it and I find myself saying to myself, "This game is good".

It's a bit like the feeling one gets when you get a pile to drop in a coin pushing machine. Hard to explain but you know it when you feel it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Well said davy.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Well said davy.

That feeling is how I'd define gameplay. It's the feeling of doing something and the game feeding back in return - rewarding you for good performance, either through progress or score, etc. When the feedback isn't there, that's when I'm not a fan and I think of it as more of an 'experience'. Just my definition though.
  • You experience a football match as a spectator - you can't really influence. You play the game as a player. Maybe that helps my way of thinking.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!