Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    That intro sweep from 1:40 looks a lot nicer via emulation! If you have the He-Man, that's clearly gonna be the best version. I hadn't realised how little of the valley you can see in the officials, because to give Nintendo credit, they've fogged it subtly.

Brooks, you know that I loved Vice City, but I had to forgive its interactive limitations for delivery of a believable world in assumed alpha. I expected the series to progress to V's standard by IV's release, but Rockstar don't appreciate what I saw in those PS2 games. I'd be delighted if Shenmue III shows them how it's done.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    All these openworld things basically suck shit. Devolution into fetchquests and craftingcraftingcrafting with varying measures of 'emergence'. If you're lucky the basic physicality of your avatar is well executed and the environment is engagingly weird.

All of this , and more.

Give me abstract, give me linear, give me scores. Shove open world elsewhere. But more - I don't care how great it gets technically. I don't want it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I used to love the idea of emulation. I found MAME eye popping. Sadly it has since had the fun crushed out of it with escalating hardware reqs and loss of high score support.

It leaves a grimy feel on my hands nowadays. I'll still sample a shmup on shmupMAME but that's about it.

As a tech challenge I can see the attraction why someone would want to tackle it , and I can see its archival applications, otherwise it now just feels a bit cheap and nasty.
  • Emulation is still good for old consoles, and getting better all the time.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    aye - that's why I mention its role in archiving. Actually the more I think about that the more important it becomes. The emu community cares more about material than its creators.  There's a point at which its the only option. When that isn't the case I'm less of a fan but that's because I'm a collector as well as a player.
  • it's also the only way to play some of the best fightmans evar
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I like the look of the Sega model <n> emulation. The death of arcades makes it pretty attractive.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    All these openworld things basically suck shit. Devolution into fetchquests and craftingcraftingcrafting with varying measures of 'emergence'. If you're lucky the basic physicality of your avatar is well executed and the environment is engagingly weird.

Careful, you might trigger @cosby
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Apparently I only really care about that subject when intoxicated so you'll have to wait for the next meet up to bait me. It'll probably work then in all fairness :)
  • How usable is Dolphin?

And specifically from a lazy consumer point of view not a technical nerdy view, as I can't be bothered with endless fannying on to get something to work properly.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Cosby wrote:
    Apparently I only really care about that subject when intoxicated so you'll have to wait for the next meet up to bait me. It'll probably work then in all fairness :)

"bait you"

You brought it up all on your own the last couple of times
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Shit. Did I really? I can be a belligerent arse after a few drinks.

New topics next time, promise!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Talking of which, we should get to the stock fred at some point
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yes, this weather is putting me in the mood for beer.
  • WorKid wrote:
    How usable is Dolphin? And specifically from a lazy consumer point of view not a technical nerdy view, as I can't be bothered with endless fannying on to get something to work properly.

Very easy, most emulators are these days. Set up controls and point it at an .iso and you're good to go, tweak the graphics if you can be bothered.
  • if i can play NMH2 on my mac...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Downloading Cemu and Wii U USB Helper, lets have some fun lads.
  • What's that man? Full WiiU emu?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    For some games not all. Ya need 8gb ram bare minimum and at least an i5 with very decent clock speed plus a decent gpu. BOTW, Twilight Princess HD, Windwaker HD, Mario 3D thingy and a fair few others all run near perfect (BOTW is essentially perfect now, 1080p 60fps, or 4k unlocked fps if beast pc)

Really easy to use too, just takes about an hour or two of setting up including game downloads
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Ah fuck it it won't let me embed a vid for some reason. Basically a youtube of my spec running at 60fps in 1080. Stutter is due to him having half my ram.

Just copy and paste this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_zGI6VL-4U
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Fuck it Demons Souls too.
  • Why is MAME so inconsistent?

On my Pi only about a third of the roms work on it, console emulation is fine.

I've always had problems with it, even pre-Pi.

Is there anything that can be done to improve compatibility?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tried Wii U and Demons Souls emu today. Couldn't get either running right so binned it. Too much of a faff. Got 60fps 1080 on botw but it had to build shaders so dropped to 5fps every couple seconds.
  • So I played a bit of PSP last night after discussing it in the Castlevania thread.

It's reminded me of the road block I hit regarding PSone downloads.

I have a ton with .bin and .cue files but theses don't work on the PSP, only my RetroPi.

PSP emulation requires an EBOOT file for PSone games.

Does anyone know where you can get them please? I can only find the .bin/.cue format.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It was so log ago in not certain, but I think I used a converter when I did mine.
  • Yeah,it was a pain in the arse but I think I remember ripping discs then using a converter to pack them into eboots. Have you looked on gbatemp.net?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    Have you looked on gbatemp.net?

Found a thread on there with a guide, will give it ago at some point. Cheers.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Has anyone got one of those microSD to Memory Stick Duo adapters for their PSPs?

I got one but it won't save game data for some reason, saying there's not enough space on the card but its 8GB.

Odd thing is this is only for PSP games. PSone classics and other ROMs save fine.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Why is MAME so inconsistent?

On my Pi only about a third of the roms work on it, console emulation is fine.

I've always had problems with it, even pre-Pi.

Is there anything that can be done to improve compatibility?

Every updated version of mame seems to insist on using it's own set of 'authenthic' ROMs. For emulations sake.
    It's annoying and confusing for users.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!