Emulation
  • Romhacking.net to the rescue!

1. Download original rom
    2. Download your preferred rom patch
    3 Apply rom patch (usually ips format) to og rom.
    Use Lunar IPS to apply the patch
    4. If you want to run the patched rom on og hw you will need to fix the checksum, otherwise it will fail the checksumtest and won't boot!
    For md use fixchecksum to make the game bootable.
    For Snes use Checksum recalculator

edit:
    just realised you're talking about nes roms.
    Sorry, haven't got any experience with nes 8bit roms. You could try repatching the rom with lunar ips?
    Not sure which fixchecksum application to use for nes.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Thanks for the advice hunk.

That's the exact site and process I used for the NES Contra that I patched.

It's the MD one I can't get working.

It says the ROM should be in .bin format but all of mine are .md

I'm just using emulation so step 4 isn't an issue.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Does anyone know if there's a rom hack of Streets of Rage 2 that includes the buddy team-up moves from 1 & 3?
  • Check romhacking.net it seems to be the place to go.

There seems to be three basic types of hacks:

Fixes, like the one your after or the re-translation of Castlevania II that are essentially minor to major improvements that make the games more complete, basically like a modern patch. These are the ones I'm most interested in.

'New games' such as Mario Kart R that seem like genuine attempts at 1.5 sequels by fans of their source material, think expansion paks/DLC. These seem interesting but I'm sure the bugs and general lack of professional design will bring them down overall.

Others like playing as Sonic in Streets of Rage are the ones I have no interest in.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Over on Racketboy there was a bloke who hosted a load of hack patches in a single zip. Not sure what is in here but here's the link to the download if useful:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/wc4987zheaucfjz/Patches+for+Retron+5+(01-03-18).zip
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Nice on eric, I will check that out when I get home.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Romhacking.net is excellent.
    It's where I got the colour and soundpatches for sf2sce and ssf2 for the MD. Some great devs there. I even picked up working English translations of GG shining force 1 and yuyu hakushoo MD from there and got them working at first attempt. For those too lazy to patch themselves the patched ROMs should be in the b and b Dropbox account. Check the thread.....
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Does anyone know if there's a rom hack of Streets of Rage 2 that includes the buddy team-up moves from 1 & 3?

There is Streets of Rage Remake

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/streets_of_rage_remake_v51_second_coming
  • Santa brought me an NVidia Shield and I'm just getting to grips with it. So far, I've got Ron's AIO Hyperspin installed and I also bought RetroX. RetroX is far easier to setup than Hyperspin. I also find RetroX to be far more responsive in controls than Hyperspin, for some strange reason.

I've also found an apk file of Fabularium, which is an Android interpreter for Z Machine Code which means I can play all the Infocom adventures on my big TV while sitting on the couch. I've also got similar for the Scott Adams series and also the Level 9 games, although I haven't managed to spend any time with them yet.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • Remember to put wax in your ears.  Guess the game?  (Obviously quite a few to choose from...)
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    Remember to put wax in your ears.  Guess the game?  (Obviously quite a few to choose from...)

I had to search that one.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • So, modding a Wii U looks piss easy.

Think I might mod mine, and turn it into a handy retro machine.
  • Yep, super easy.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • It does but when I tried I couldn't get the folders to read. I unzipped but I guess I didn't order them in the correct manner. It could well have been the instructions I was using were obtuse or that I was just being shit. I really wanted to do it as it opens up being able to use multi region GC games.

Let me know how you get on and what guide you used!
  • Your SD card was probably formatted with the newer method, and not the method it wants with MBR.

I'll let you know how I get on. Need to pick up a new cheap SD card at the weekend.
  • That makes sense. Let's see how you get on and I'll have a follow up attempt next week!
  • For anyone interested, patched Contra Hard Corps (md) rom is now available in the bnb db.
    The official western release was different from the original jp release as Konami omitted the 3-hit lifebar replacing it with a 1hit instakill death as previously seen in sns Contra3-the Alien wars. The patch restores the 3hit lifebar from the japanese version and as a bonus auto-activates the Konami code.
    Also added a patched SSF2turbo (gba) rom. The patch corrects a bug where the og game would crash at the battle with akuma.
  • So, modding a Wii U looks piss easy. Think I might mod mine, and turn it into a handy retro machine.

i picked up a second hand wii that had been homebrewed or whatever the term is, but i can't figure out how to do anything with it, online guides all seem somewhat obtuse. 

worst part is the original owner changed the wii dashboard to some horrible black and red theme that makes my eyes vomit.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I messed about with softmodding my Wii - there should be a Homebrew channel installed on the Wii - go into that and have a look around.

It can all be undone - maybe try a factory reset and do it from scratch* - I used a thing called a letterbomb hack to do mine but I ended up reverting to my normal wii as I still played online and didn't want to screw that up.

*Careful though - that might brick it - can't be sure as it was some time ago.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • yeah the homebrew channel is there, but it's just shows bubbles :)

too scared of bricking it to try and undo it, just wanted to install the OG theme and see if i can make it play some JP/US cube games.
  • You'd need something on an SD card or external drive to show up in the homebrew channel although I think there's an option to search online for available apps.
    Gbatemp.net was my go-to for guidance. I have a GameCube disc player on mine but have never used it.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Apologies if this has been covered but where's the go to place for roms now? Have they all gone?
  • *edit*
    Deleted.
  • Putting that in a spoiler almost certainly doesn't achieve what you're hoping it does.
  • Nevermind. Spoiler tags removed.
  • Cool. If you want to hide something, post it somewhere in forum talk and link to it.
  • AJ wrote:
    Putting that in a spoiler almost certainly doesn't achieve what you're hoping it does.

Wasn't linking to anything so spoiler tags are not necessary.
  • Even if you were, they wouldn't do anything. Spoiler tags don't do anything special; they don't stop Google etc. seeing it or stop things loading or anything.
  • Good point. Always be careful with posting stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!