Emulation
  • Just revisited Pyron's color hacks on md SF2sce, SSF2 and Final Fight cd.
    Fuck me he's good, he really cleans up the muddy color palette of the original releases. His work is squeaky clean unlike competitor Lord Hiryu who just looks sloppy in comparison with his overuse (abuse?) of dithering. Don't get me wrong, Lord Hiryu is technically strong with the amount of color he gets out of the md but he lacks the artistic vision of Pyron. Pyron's palettes look restrained yet clean while Lord Hiryu's palettes look unrestrained and off: while colorful they're overly saturated yet strangely muddy and not 'clean'.

In Pyron's case less is more.
    Pyron all the way for me.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    dudes am crying botw in ultrawide 120fps hold me

MvShJQt.png
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sweet Lord.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Console are bad and no one should purchase them any more.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Point.

I'm almost done with collecting which is quite a statement from me. The last straw has been the manual-less Switch physical releases - even the ones by the tat sellers such as LimitedRunGames.  sigh.

Consoles keep the home costs sensible though. All very well having an up to date PC/laptop.
  • I feel like a topwhack 'puter at any point probably comes out even for initial cost vs. buying all the console of a given era.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's a fair point. The cost of controllers is not funny any more. And if you buy a switch you really need a second pair of joycons. £500 with a game for a Switch.  Then you need a pro controller if you want to play anything requiring a dpad.
  • I'm thinking of selling all my Saturn and Dreamcast games, hell anything that I know have an ODE or HDD for. Hard to let go though
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. I still like my collection.

But over the next few years I really need to think about what I'm going to do with it if the daughters don't want it.  I'll be 60 in 4 years and on the verge of retirement and I don't see me sitting in my games room after that. The last thing I want is it to gather dust and then scooped up by some house clearing cunt in 20 years when I'm in the ground.

The younger one has laid claim to the asteroids cabinet but there's been no other interest.

I won't ever get rid of it all as I intend to always play - I'm thinking of what my core collection would consist of.
  • Exactly - essentially you're saying wait till the kid has grown up!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Paid 2200 for the PC when it was top of the range about 4 years ago or so. Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, Switch, PS5 and Xbox SX/SS in that time. 

And I can play 98% of all games on those consoles, soon be 100% the more Sony port. Worth it, PC still a beast fuck a console.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Smang wrote:
    Exactly - essentially you're saying wait till the kid has grown up!

They are 22 and 23....
  • I tried the higher end gaming pc and spec aside. I didn't find it as enjoyable as a straight up console. I'm old fashioned, I like the console under the telly and couldn't be arsed with a games room.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'm only keeping my PS5 for a few exclusive PS4 games, and I'd take a PC over everything else.

It doesn't have to be that way, is the frustration. The SX could run Forza Horizon 5 at 120fps, for example, but doesn't give the option. Nor can you disable motion blur, or customise owt else to preference.

ForzaHorizon5_XTqLMw6MpI.jpg

With my GPU sub I'd miss out on nothing from Xbox on PC, and Switch emu is, as DS demonstrates, far superior to native.
  • davyK wrote:
    Smang wrote:
    Exactly - essentially you're saying wait till the kid has grown up!

They are 22 and 23....

Ah well mine can't even walk yet so I'm going to take your advice!

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Consoles exclusives are the only thing that makes an argument for them. Nintendo have the strongest hand in that, provided you are into their content. 

I could see Sony and MS giving up on that. I presume xbox is a PC anyhow and the others aren't a kick in the arse away either.

Never thought I'd say but Steam is bloody brilliant.

But - I like to have a console under the TV for local MP. And Nintendo are the choice for me re that.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Sony no longer have exclusive WipEouts or Tekkens (binning the former), nor Final Fantasies if that's your game. Team ICO's gone, and there hasn't been an Uncharted in six years.

They've had Astro Bot, The Last of Us II, Gran Turismo 7, and very little else. MS paid a fortune for all those other devs, but I'd say Naughty Dog is still the one they should be after.
  • Aye, but Ueda's Gen Design has a publishing deal with Epic Games now, so I'm hopeful that if they ever actually release a new game, it's much more likely to be multiplatform, and I won't have to fork out for a Sony console I neither want nor need anymore.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Assuming I dont want to play around with having a PC set up somewhere else, whats the best model for getting a decent spec box that isnt huge sitting under the telly? Bluetooth Keyboards and Mouse are easy enough but the last PCs that resembled a series S were the alienware stuff and felt both over priced and under whelming.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Genuinely shocked that Uncharted IV is six yeers old.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I think it's only because I expect a sequel that I haven't sold my PS5.

Suppose I might have another go at beating my zone record in Omega one day.
  • Brooks wrote:
    I feel like a topwhack 'puter at any point probably comes out even for initial cost vs. buying all the console of a given era.
    Paid 2200 for the PC when it was top of the range about 4 years ago or so. Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, Switch, PS5 and Xbox SX/SS in that time.  And I can play 98% of all games on those consoles, soon be 100% the more Sony port. Worth it, PC still a beast fuck a console.

This. Playing re7 now on an ancient 11yo laptop and it runs surprisingly well @720p/30. That and you also get the boon of emulation. Building a desktop gets u even more fps due to more wattage and better cooling but u lose portability.

Controllers aren't really an issue as pc practically supports all console controllers. It's only ever a problem if you want to play mouse/kb moba's on your livingroom telly. Hopefully upcoming standalone steamcontrollers will fix that.
  • I've basically abandoned mouse and keys wherever possible, and pretty much everything I currently play accommodates that choice.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    M&K for strategy, FPS, and some third person. Controller for everything else.
  • hunk wrote:
    This. Playing re7 now on an ancient 11yo laptop and it runs surprisingly well @720p/30. That and you also get the boon of emulation. Building a desktop gets u even more fps due to more wattage and better cooling but u lose portability. Controllers aren't really an issue as pc practically supports all console controllers. It's only ever a problem if you want to play mouse/kb moba's on your livingroom telly. Hopefully upcoming standalone steamcontrollers will fix that.

My laptop's 10 years old and it barely runs Chrome.
  • Choose your specs wisely.... When in doubt Gurt and the forum can help out.
  • Also please for the love of fuck do not be using a spinny-disk as your OS drive in 2022. Please.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I still run some games off one of those, but IOS is m.2

Must take like 20 minutes to boot off HDD these days.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    'Bout 4 on this laptop.
  • I'm sure there's a proper thread for this somewhere but I can't find it. Need help setting up CEMU but need a little guidance - cheifly the best way to get BotW on the laptop. Do I just torrent it?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!