Emulation
  • Cheers hunk. The dropbox looks useful. You can delete that post if you want to be safe.
  • I doubt posting it's name will have much impact on anything.

Looks like the site's in Denver, so it probably won't last.
  • The emu police haven't picked up on them yet. Hope they stay up for a little while, discretion is best.

Should I delete the mention?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Deleted just to be safe.

If anyone wants the links just post a pm or shout out in the thread.
  • Eric wrote:
    Over on Racketboy there was a bloke who hosted a load of hack patches in a single zip. Not sure what is in here but here's the link to the download if useful: http://www.mediafire.com/file/wc4987zheaucfjz/Patches+for+Retron+5+(01-03-18).zip

Nice one @Eric got Contra Hard Corps out of that.

Out of interest what is the point in some of these translations? Super Mario Kart from Japanese to English for example.

I know some Japanese versions are better such as the censorship the West got and even some gameplay changes that made them worse, but a lot of these seem pointless.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Cool, glad it was of some use. There's probably some slight tweak that makes it the ultimate version or someone just wants the full library in NTSC JPN over US, you know what ccollectophiles are like!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    You'd need something on an SD card or external drive to show up in the homebrew channel although I think there's an option to search online for available apps. Gbatemp.net was my go-to for guidance. I have a GameCube disc player on mine but have never used it.

ah yeah, i have tried that. couldn't get anything to run, i think i tried some sort of theme installer. wii just hangs and need to hold the power button down to turn it off. one day i'll dig into it and fix it up!
  • Eric wrote:
    Over on Racketboy there was a bloke who hosted a load of hack patches in a single zip. Not sure what is in here but here's the link to the download if useful: http://www.mediafire.com/file/wc4987zheaucfjz/Patches+for+Retron+5+(01-03-18).zip

Ok, went through all them and took the ones I wanted.

Unfortunately to hack for a lot of the homebrews such as Mario Kart R/Mario Kart 8 Demake don't work.

Also the two Mega Drive ones I want I can't get to work. Its because of my rom files though. My Contra Hard Corps and Bare Knuckle 3 are .bin files and not .smd that the patches require. Really annoying as 95% of my MD roms are .smd, bloody typical.

Does anyone know where I can get them in .smd format? Are they in the b&b dropbox?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Apparently you need SBWin to convert them which you should be able to download via a quick search. Whether it works or not is another question!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Patched US contra is available in b and b Dropbox!
    To patch the ROMs I just unzipped them and changed .smd to .bin or vice versa.
    Worked like a charm, no app required.

No patched BK3 yet. Might try it and do an upload in the weekend.
  • Thanks both, will sort it out over the weekend.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • i've got patched versions of police naughts (en patch) and burning knuckle 3 lying around if anyone is interested.
  • Saturn emulation seems to be a giant pain in the arse. Anyone had any success with this?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've used SSF to try a few games out before buying.

You need to get hold of the bios separately and I've also had to use software that creates a virtual CD drive to use any ISO's I found. It's, as you say, a pain in the arse.

My understanding is that the standard of emulation re compatibility is rather good now.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Forget that then. Mainly interested in the Panzer Dragoons which are getting remade anyway so don’t think I’m going to dive into that.
  • There’s apparently been some breakthrough on making it easier but the code hasn’t been released yet. Mad that you can emulate more modern consoles almost perfectly.

Presumably this is some weird 3D graphics issue where Sega used some obscure stuff that’s never been seen since.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think the main issue is the plethora of processors and other gubbins and making sure they all synchronise properly.
  • monkey wrote:
    Forget that then. Mainly interested in the Panzer Dragoons which are getting remade anyway so don’t think I’m going to dive into that.

Come again???
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Hearing that they lost the source code makes me think of Sega like the BBC taping over classic shows, just a mad thing to lose.

Good news on the remakes though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Hang on, I’m thinking of Saga where they lost the source code, not Orta.
  • Yeah saga is the one that’s going to be difficult to play without emulation. The other Saturn stuff of interest is the treasure games but it looks like all the Saturn ones have been ported to the 360, so could pick up one of those for peanuts. My old one was ‘lent’ to a friend who has now moved to India.
  • Not Silhouette Mirage, I still haven't played that properly.  I don't fancy the PS version as I assume the Saturn one was better.  Could be wrong.
  • IIRC Working Designs ruined the localized PS version with some stupid changes.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah it was Saga that has the source code lost.

They weren't the only ones to mess up - Taito lost the source of Bubble Bobble.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Can't even use FGPA for Saturn yet as it won't fit on a single chip and thus would be prohibitively expensive.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • hunk wrote:
    Patched US contra is available in b and b Dropbox! To patch the ROMs I just unzipped them and changed .smd to .bin or vice versa. Worked like a charm, no app required. No patched BK3 yet. Might try it and do an upload in the weekend.

I can indeed confirm it is this easy.

Contra Hard Corps is patched and high on my retro list now.

The Famicom Contra is so much better than the NES one, really glad I got that patched too and I'm also looking forward to playing a less broken Simon's Quest at some point.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Forgot about this.
    Will upload the patched sor3/bk3 roms later this weekend.
    The patches restore unfinished levels and there's a rebalancing of enemy ai similar to the og japanese release. Feels much more playable now.

Patched Contra HC is a hidden gem, it rivals Contra 3 for best 16 bit contra.
    More characters, more weapons, a healthbar,  more explosions and multiple paths makes for better replayability. Overhead Mode7 levels are sadly missng but otherwise it's top notch.
  • Yep. I always thought it was too hard, but now knowing the reason behind it makes me feel a bit better about it. Looking forward to playing it.

Have you played Shattered Soldier on PS2?

Where are you uploading sor3/bk3 to? Wouldn't mind trying that either, it was definitely another game that felt a little off.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • B and B dropbox.
    Check the thread for more info and roms

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!