Emulation
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The MAME dev team are all about simulating the hardware as closely as possible. They have consequently squeezed the joy out of it.

It used to have high score support but that was dropped.
    Samples were used for many games - that has been gradually dropped as sound chips are emulated - but this hasn't meant the best gaming experience.
    Quite often a game will take a performance hit as the emulation "improves".
    Of course the consequence of many improvements are that they need a more accurate or complete ROM set - so upgrading MAME will leave your ROMset unusable.

One of the older builds running on a W98 machine is probably the best way to go - I have an old build and a complete ROM set I bought off some guy on eBay. It's a DOS app though - would need W98 with USB support to get the most out of it now. There was a great front end for MAME on DOS called Arcade OS which was optimised for running in a cabinet.

When I get a new PC I'll probably try and recreate that on my old Dell but getting W98 etc would probably be a real pain in the arse.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Cinty got me a PSP about 10 years ago, which I sold a while later.

Just made an offer to buy it back and happy to say I'm picking it up on Wednesday :)

Can anyone help me out with some ISO's?

x
  • hunk wrote:
    Why is MAME so inconsistent? On my Pi only about a third of the roms work on it, console emulation is fine. I've always had problems with it, even pre-Pi. Is there anything that can be done to improve compatibility?
    Every updated version of mame seems to insist on using it's own set of 'authenthic' ROMs. For emulations sake. It's annoying and confusing for users.
    davyK wrote:
    The MAME dev team are all about simulating the hardware as closely as possible. They have consequently squeezed the joy out of it. It used to have high score support but that was dropped. Samples were used for many games - that has been gradually dropped as sound chips are emulated - but this hasn't meant the best gaming experience. Quite often a game will take a performance hit as the emulation "improves". Of course the consequence of many improvements are that they need a more accurate or complete ROM set - so upgrading MAME will leave your ROMset unusable. One of the older builds running on a W98 machine is probably the best way to go - I have an old build and a complete ROM set I bought off some guy on eBay. It's a DOS app though - would need W98 with USB support to get the most out of it now. There was a great front end for MAME on DOS called Arcade OS which was optimised for running in a cabinet. When I get a new PC I'll probably try and recreate that on my old Dell but getting W98 etc would probably be a real pain in the arse.

What a minefield. Guess I'll give up on that then.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I found mame 32 to be the best, doesn't require dos. To be fair, I don't emulate anymore as most of what I want is legal so I pays the money but I found it to be the most reliable. That said it won't run software beyond street fighter alpha 3 so no sf3 eye.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I like emulators and mame to explore older titles which aren't readily available anymore. I usually do pick up the games deemed worthwhile if a publisher goes through the hassle of rereleasing them on modern platforms.

No shame in emulating, it keeps dead IP alive.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    My first experience of emulation was an old BBC emulator on my Amiga in the mid 90s. Been an avid emulation fan ever since. Started building an arcade cab a few years ago, though only got as far as the control panel before we moved countries, must finish it off.

Mostly use a pi for emulation nowadays though.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I was struggling massively with this up until very recently, and I'm sure there are loads of other options available, but I grabbed RetroArch and LaunchBox and it's been really easy to put together. RetroArch is a one stop shop for lots of existing emulators. You basically install the emulator you want, then point the relevant roms at it. It then saves this and manages them for you. On top of that LaunchBox is a decent frontend and it can manage RetroArch but y can also install other emulators that aren't integrated into RetroArch within it as well. The biggest benefit being there are YouTube tutorials all over the place and it only took me a few days to feel super confident with it. Just need to get a beefier pc so I can do newer consoles with less issues. I want to play Joe Danger
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    I found mame 32 to be the best, doesn't require dos. To be fair, I don't emulate anymore as most of what I want is legal so I pays the money but I found it to be the most reliable. That said it won't run software beyond street fighter alpha 3 so no sf3 eye.

mame32 is pretty good actually - but as you say - like the old DOS versions - it's for older games. That suits me as largely that's all I'm after.

My current MAME-age is a build of shmupMAME I use to play a handful of games such as DoDonPachi, Gigawing etc. It works well and other genres work on it fine (Donkey Kong, Frogger, Tapper etc.). It's a build of MAME that minimises lag and is considered best used for shmups.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    It's a build of MAME that minimises lag and is considered best used for shmups.

Ooooh MAMEDev won't like that... :P
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Questor wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    It's a build of MAME that minimises lag and is considered best used for shmups.
    Ooooh MAMEDev won't like that... :P

Quite right - I suspect there's a compromise in some of the accuracy in other games....  I care not a jot of course. No other way to play DDP DaiOuJou!!  :)
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam

Send message
    I have a plastic model kit of a ship from DaiOuJou I picked up in Japan a few years ago - I really should put it together.

Will go with my 2 Ikaruga ships
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice.

The ROM I have for DOJ lets me select 2 different modes - single run and a looped run - not sure if that is an official variation or a hack....(actually it might be a black label ROM).

• Cinty got me a PSP about 10 years ago, which I sold a while later.

Just made an offer to buy it back and happy to say I'm picking it up on Wednesday :)

Can anyone help me out with some ISO's?

x

I may still have 4/5 DVDs of ISO files. I'll look later and let you know.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Feel free to pull post if naughty, but there are still plenty of games in public trackers, I topped up my psp cso collection only this week. A couple of links that might prove useful

links moved to freeloading fred

I went for this lot, hoping to go for quality over quantity, some of which I had to find individually in similar places to linked above. There are definitely a few gems I've not been able to find, but this isn't a bad collection to be getting on with. Thing I hate about piracy is there's often too much there to actually investigate properly

Wipeout Pulse
    Beats 
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
    Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
    Velocity
    Burnout Dominator
    Patapon
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
    Dissidia: Final Fantasy
    Archer Maclean's Mercury
    Free Running
    Lumines: Puzzle Fusion
    N+
    Space Invaders Extreme
    Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins
    What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord!? 2
    Every Extend Extra
    Jeanne d'Arc
    WipEout Pure
    Final Fantasy IV
    Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2 - Innocent Sin
    God of War: Ghost of Sparta
    SoulCalibur: Broken Destiny
    Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
    Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars
    Tekken: Dark Resurrection
    Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
    Tekken 6
    Exit
    Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
    Monster Hunter Freedom 2
    Fight Night Round 3
    Me & My Katamari
    Beaterator
    flOw
    The Warriors
    Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX
    Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! What Did I Do To Deserve This?
    Everyday Shooter
    Metal Slug XX
    Death Jr II: Root of Evil
    X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse
    LocoRoco
    GripShift
    Atari Classics -Evolved-
    Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee
    Daxter
    God of War: Chains of Olympus
    Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
    Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
    Ridge Racer
    Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines
    Silent Hill Origins
    Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
    LEGO Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues
    Metal Slug Anthology
    echochrome
    Activision Hits Remixed
    Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
    Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable
    Patapon 3
    Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
    Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
    Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
    Secret Agent Clank
    Virtua Tennis - World Tour
    Namco Museum Vol. 2
    Dante's Inferno
    Field Commander
    Patapon 2
    Half-Minute Hero
    Lego Batman: The Video Game
    Final Fantasy II
    Bust-a-Move Deluxe
    Burnout Legends
    OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
    Kurulin Fusion
    Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
    Tales of Eternia
    Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
    Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade
    Thrillville
    BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger Portable
    Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix
    Ridge Racer 2
    Driver 76
    Tomb Raider: Legend
    Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
    Mega Man Powered Up
    Valkyria Chronicles II
    Test Drive Unlimited
    Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
    Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
    Everybody's Golf
    Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded
    Lumines II
    Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley
    Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
    Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
    Need for Speed Shift
    Killzone: Liberation
    Gran Turismo
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You should shove that in the Dark Legend thread to keep it free of prying trackers.
  • When I did my PSP a few years back, there were plenty of easy to find PSP and PS1 ROMs sitting about on the web in easy to search collections. Dunno if that's still the case.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There probably are, but the owners of those sites could be taken to court because of them. We don’t want to risk Petey getting sued.
  • I doubt that could happen over the suggestion to google for them.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ah, gotcha. I thought your post was suggesting that it didn’t matter if the links were on here as there are other avenues to get these. I misunderstood.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Most of the archives I found were split so yo could select specific files. No point downloading a bunch of stuff I'll not use
  • I like how cockbeards "quality over quantity" collection consists of about a hundred games.
    SFV - reddave360
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hahaha, it could definitely be trimmed further just I grabbed a lot of stuff that I never got around to playing first time as well, so that's tipped it up a bit
  • Always the problem with emulation, you build up a huge collection but really only play a handful of games. In my case I just loved having the option to scroll through a vast array of arcade hits. In mame32 you can add title screens to the game select screen. Huge nostalgia hit just from scrolling through the collection.

SFV - reddave360
  • Thanks all. Really looking forward to picking it up tomorrow.

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories. We all know that this is the best game ever made, right?

x
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Was playing it on the train with my mate Liam, local mutliplayer. We were laughing away with each other, then suddenly there was a third character who kept kicking our arses, we are like wtf? Turn around and there's this bloke and his little boy a huge grin on, whilst we decided we should swear less but agreed that was the coolest 12 year old in the world
  • Three PSPs in the same room? That must be some kind of record.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Think it must've been leylines or something. Around 2007, on a train from Derby to Bournemouth, all in the same carriage
  • 6 player capture the flag (Limo) is amongst my favourite gaming memories ever.

Can't believe it's 13 years old!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    You realise that like piracy 13 isn't strictly legal either
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Most of the archives I found were split so yo could select specific files. No point downloading a bunch of stuff I'll not use
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Always the problem with emulation, you build up a huge collection but really only play a handful of games.

I'm exactly the same, everytime I boot up the Pi/PSP I more often than not end up deleting what I play.

Never seen the point in owning thousands of roms.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!