Bravely Default
  • If you're still interested you'll love it! I get the hate for the late game stuff, but I loved it (edit: in retrospect). Didn't really want the game to end anyway. Such an amazing, light and fun RPG with plenty of dungeon crawling grindness and a tonne of costumes and jobs and sub jobs to play with. 

Enough to do it all, (even the dragons and bosses every time) and get every single thing the game had. Think I finished at about 100+ hours.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Time mage got, is red mage different? Not got yet if so...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'd much rather 30h to 100h...
  • I clocked about 110hr on this. Well worth it, though like CJB I see why others didnt. Story trope spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    I maxed out every class and every character and would do it again if I had time. There are two moments in the game that were top-tier when it comes to genre. The finale is one of them, but there is also another bit that everyone who sees it will know what it is, fed-ex style.

I love the battle mechanics. 4x speed, set up an effective combo and grinding becomes trivial if you need to get more money or EXP. You still need to learn how to effectively use the skills, but it separates the two aspects enough to make it less tedious and more rewarding. 

Ringabel and Edea bickering was ace.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah I've not really got many combos going. Need to unlock some more specials. Can't auto battle yet either, I don't think? Story and chatter is entertaining enough, would be nice to not have womanising in every dialogue though...
  • Pretty sure you can auto battle from early on. I think either X or Y toggles between it. If you enter a set of commands for you characters in a turn, then press auto, they will repeat those commands every single turn. It carries over between battles too if youre running through low level groups or find an effective one.

Pay attention though, it can go balls up quickly.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I was about 80 hours on this to see it through to the end - lucked out because I got to a sweet pattern with combat on high level enemies and to an extent was able to let the game play itself while I was grinding.
  • I liked second as well, would like a third to take place in a whole new world though.

There's a new mobile app game coming out isn't there? That's less desireable for me...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So I enjoyed 2 more than 1 because of how Off the rails and meta it gets at the end of the game, hitting near MGS2 type commentary on the nature of sequels.

There is a phone one out but it doesn't even have B/D mechanics, it's three lane combat with your usual gang. Best avoided.

Better to keep an eye out for PROJECT OCTOPASS TRAVELLER which obviously has the best name of 2017, is a Switch exclusive, and has stunning art style, which is being billed as a spiritual successor to the Bravely series (it's he exact same team)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Seriously look at this fucker

octopath-2-1280-1484283317769_1280w.jpg
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So Reg has not only made me play a game he doesn't really like, he's also made mean want to buy a switch even more than I already wanted.

Mother fucker.
  • Octopath looks the business.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    So Reg has not only made me play a game he doesn't really like, he's also made mean want to buy a switch even more than I already wanted.

Mother fucker.

Pal I love one, I just thought 2 was mind blowing
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Reached Florem. Getting into my stride with the grind. Nice that the job points are ticking away more quickly now but I still can't decide who does what....
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Mind that you have jobs but can also get a second developed class in there. Leads to some wonderfully complex set ups. I'm at my parents just now, but when I get home I'll load up my ludicrous op end game team.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah but the other (n-2) jobs being levelled up are basically useless aren't they? Beyond support abilities I guess. As in you grind at thing and get good at bows, but then change away and your shite at bows. It all leaves me with choice paralysis! Even before buffs and special slots and OMG there's too much CHOOOICCE
  • Yeah Octopath looks worthy of carrying the mantle. I love the BD series but I think that we've seen the last of it. I hope not.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Red Mage got!  Huzzah.  Seemed like a nice chap.

Smidge more sub-quest then I think I must be nearly on to Chapter 3.  12-15 hours or so already.  Angel's Bow and Lü Bu's Spear are my friends, haven't really sussed good use of sword fencing or time magic yet, but hopefully that will come...  Got access to Growth Egg and Golden Egg too now, but can't afford them yet.  Fund times.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You're fuckin doin it
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Onto chapter 3 now, all sub quests done. Rocking Ranger, Valkyrie, Red Mage and White Mage, with occasional rotations (including sub job).

All going pretty well really. Difficulty about right, having to work for boss victories but all kinda doable.

Currently on boatcity. Looking forward to more. But still dreading the end game!

I've realised that apart from black and white magic, and examine, I'm basically never using abilities though. This feels wrong! That's my challenge for tonight. Ooh and I guess I just got a third support point yay.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Salve Maker, Pirate & Singy lady all got. Chapter 3 still. Haven't had much time on it though. But Norende very nearly complete. Got a good mix of jobs levelled up but still being pretty simple with tactics...
  • Great, now I have love in the crossfire stuck in my head again
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Wahoo - reached Chapter 4!  All sub-quests done still.

Not convinced by Swordmaster or Ninja yet, rocking Black Mage/Singer, Spell Fencer/Pirate, White Mage/Salve Maker, Valkyrie/Pirate at the mo.  Can't do any level 5 magic yet (despite buying some) which is my next major hurdle, alongside evening the team out a bit more.  

Enjoying it still overall, but I think the dull bit is about to hit :-(.  Level 47 or something at the mo, which I guess is still slightly on the OP side?  I really hope there's not another 50 hours ahead of me on this...!!
  • Ninja's black magic + minus strike is very very useful.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Which ability is that? Couldn't figure it out from the wiki. Turns out I'm quite near able to do level 5 magic which is good. Bit of grinding I reckon.
  • I forget exactly which, but basically minus strike deals your HP difference in damage. So if your max HP is 9999 and your current HP is 1, every hit with minus strike is worth 9998. 

But I think you can also use HP extra magic from salve maker (IIRC) and the numbers get bigger. I think there was a way to do auto revival too.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Daddy is down, now loads of dragons to kill? Sigh. Then the last crystal & round we go (IIUC)...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Six dragons lie dead. A vampire awaits. Looking forward to getting the story going again but keep reading books not playing games.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Right vampire got & the pillar of Light beckons as big beasty dead too. Going to pick up some genomes first tho as apparently some vanish? Then onwards, onwards & some story shizzle I hope!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!