Podcasts
  • There was an account daily tweeting WW2 as if live. Done now. @realtimeww2
  • It's starting again though.
  • WorKid wrote:
    There was an account daily tweeting WW2 as if live. Done now. @realtimeww2

Lovely, will finally join up to twitter then.
  • You’re all far too easily impressed.

All Gonz demonstrates there is a failure to understand someone expressing themselves clearly.

Gonz, the fact you describe the intentions that Harris attributes to Israel as being ‘benevolent’, or that he bases those of the Palestinians simply on the ‘utterances of a weak and angry party’ shows that you’re simply not paying attention. These are such gross misrepresentations of what’s actually being said that everything you write subsequently should be ignored.

For some reason a video blog of Sam Harris explaining his position is not enough to explain the position of Sam Harris. I very much doubt I’m going to change that, but perhaps this slightly expanded versions of the same talk will help?

Harris’ position is actually much the same as Richard Dawkins (and Daniel Dennet’s for what it’s worth):

1. That this is a terrible conflict with plenty of culpability on both sides. That there's more than enough blood for all hands involved, but nevertheless the Israelis can absolutely take a relative moral high-ground based on the specific actions and stated intentions of both sides.

2. That the level of scrutiny and the global response to the actions of Israel is clearly out of proportion with acts they commit. That they are held to entirely separate moral standard and met with a level of outrage that's inconsistent with what's seen in attitudes towards other groups involved in violence.

The ease with which you gloss over the Palestinian atrocities here, along with a flagrant misrepresentation and demonization of someone you clearly perceive as sympathetic to Israel (including a ludicrous accusation of Zionism), seems to me a deeply troubling combination of thinking. Your cheerleaders should be mindful of what they're actually cheering. 

I wonder if Dawkins is on the payroll too? I mean, it stands to reason if he and Harris are spouting the same stuff.

Wait, but if misdirection is an indication of a paid-up Zionist - maybe Gonz is a zionist?

Maybe I am?

Now I don’t know what to believe!
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • It's as I suspected, sadly.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What a fucking screwball.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Sorry to be blunt there but granting Israel the moral highground...
  • Never mind that, he's the one who banged on about the "we know exactly what their intentions are" /what if roles were reversed line and once I demonstrate its flaws, he totally abandons the argument and starts on another tack. Waste of time innit.
  • Siding with Likud is not a good idea.
  • Still, it's good to have our weirdos outing themselves I guess?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Persepolis isn't a bad entry level read to the politics of the near East, it's got pictures and everything
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • JRPC wrote:
    You’re all far too easily impressed.

All Gonz demonstrates there is a failure to understand someone expressing themselves clearly.

Gonz, the fact you describe the intentions that Harris attributes to Israel as being ‘benevolent’, or that he bases those of the Palestinians simply on the ‘utterances of a weak and angry party’ shows that you’re simply not paying attention. These are such gross misrepresentations of what’s actually being said that everything you write subsequently should be ignored.

Really not gross misrepresentation at all. Ignoring won't help. I'm not unsympathetic re Sam being misrepresented, he has been over the years, but he's also been shown to be non expert when he gets out of his lane.

Chompers exchange is the current example, but feel free to go back to the criticism around the moral landscape. The method to his argument is the same, while you read it it can be initially tantalising, and then you dig and see the assumptions underpinning and what he's missing.

Plenty of moral philosophers paid out on him, some misrepresented his argument, but even Russell blackford, who likes Sam and went out of his way to be fair to his arguments in the moral landscape, picked it apart pretty good. (hopefully his review is still free online.)
    Harris’ position is actually much the same as Richard Dawkins (and Daniel Dennet’s for what it’s worth):

(like Sam, dawkins and dennet aren't infallible, and need to stay in their lanes.)
    1. That this is a terrible conflict with plenty of culpability on both sides. That there's more than enough blood for all hands involved, but nevertheless the Israelis can absolutely take a relative moral high-ground based on the specific actions and stated intentions of both sides.

I don't even. Intentions be damned when you're ambivalent about your ability to create a massive bodycount.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I just think your lot, face, the rationalist new atheists like Dawkins and co, strikes me that they really lack empathy. Like, they can't get put themselves in others' shoes. Doesn't take much for most folks to realise, if they were our age and Palestinians, it would take a herculean effort not to hate the other side and want to annihilate them. Or, if we were Israeli Jews plagued with grandparents, uncles etc on both sides of your family who were exterminated like vermin, after years of humiliating branding, ghettoisation, concentration and forced survival, it would be easy to fall into "us Vs the rest of the world" mentalities , military machismo and the "never again" mentality leading to a tendency to react with strength and force.

There was a new York feminist who did an interview about how Israel's military machismo was a masculine overreacting to feelings of humiliation in the Holocaust, reductive but compelling. Judith Butler maybe, can't recall.

Anyways, empathy goes a long way.
  • Say what you will about Sam Harris and his views, but the fella has some fucking great guests on his podcasts, on some really interesting subjects. Just done his last couple on violence and Trump.

Great listening.
  • As ever, part of the problem is who gets famous. Dick dawkins deserves props for his science stuff, it's amazing.

Dennet, in his lane, is amazing.

Harris is almost a poor man's singer. Singer, and effective altruism, fall into similar problems as Harris and his moral landscape arguments, but singer has been much more Interesting every time he's been controversial or put forward a view that makes people squirm.

I think there's value in dangerous ideas, you just need the folks expressing them have a deep well of back up for them.

I'd agree on the empathy front, although, again, it's the lesser lights who do better with empathy.

Russell blackford, Ophelia Benson both do much better jobs on that front. There's others. Friendly atheist. (hints in the name.)

4 horsemen all have issies/blindspots.
  • I hope there's room to go back to this for a second, as I've found a short Podcast from Harris talking about the responses he got to the Chomski exchange.

I'm going to have another read of those emails and what was said here about them as I know it didn't have my full attention the first time around. Having said that though, the criticisms that Harris describes on this Podcast are very much along the lines of what I took you lot to be saying here.

Anyway, here it is.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • The very definition of a fanboy, mate.
  • Tellingly, Chomski felt no need to produce a podcast of his final thoughts.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Nor any desire for the exchange to be published in the first place.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Harris killed himself? Owned.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You're thinking of Richard Harris, who wrote Silence of the Lambs.
  • That didgeridoo bloke wrote Silence of the Lambs? Well I never.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • So what we're saying is that Sam Harris is a paedophile, yeah?
  • Anybody seen the Sam Harris forums? Too thread in Islam section is "Islam is next on the list". Full of bile. Rational atheists eh.
  • You've got it in for Sam Harris in a big way Gonzo.

It's almost irrational mate.
  • Lol did u post there
  • Last night I recorded an interview with the editor of table top gaming magazine.

Tonight I've just recorded one with the Development manager for the Dark Souls Boardgame.

Both were excellent chats with two vastly different people. Episodes will be out by the weekend.

I'm currently listening to a number of podcasts
    Polyhedron collider.
    Gentle arrogance
    The musicians podcast
    Twin humanities
    Watch out for fireballs
    Monster of the Week
    Days of future cast.
    Plus a few more.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Good work Rev.

What did people think of the end of The Adventure Zone? Cinty?

Also, have gotten into Marc Maron's WTF podcast and really like it, great to hear long form interviews
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Haven't listened to the finale yet, will get to it tomorrow.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!