BladeRunner 2049: Do Fanboys Dream Of Eclectic Geeks?
  • Of course if deck is a replicant then mere radiation won’t affect him that much.
  • Even that's a stretch though as they're meant to be organic beings.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'd assumed the radiation doesn't have an effect due to replicant. Surely if the radiation had dies down, it wouldn't be totally deserted any more, as it looks like it might be a bit more of a desirable place to live than some of the other options.
  • Also in regard to the first film, I'd always got the impression that maybe his history as a blade runner hadn't actually happened. You only ever see him chat to a couple of people at the police don't you, so it's conceivable that they could be in on something.

I've never actually seen the original version though to be fair, so I'm pretty sold into the whole Deckard is a replicant thing.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Would make sense if they were radiation-resistant as they'd then be able to work in off-world locations inaccessible to humans.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • g.man wrote:
    Even that's a stretch though as they're meant to be organic beings.

It’s a confusing thing but they are designed to work in hostile locations.
  • Replicants organic so likely susceptible to radiator/cancer too? And would explain the lack of other people in Vegas helping themselves to an abandoned penthouse hotel.

When K's car drone went up it reported back radiation signs as 'nominal'.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • What about the goddman bees? Deckard was keeping bees? Where was his special bee suit or as he didn’t seem to have one does that mean he was a replicant and didn’t need one? Or were the bees replicants so didn’t sting Ryan Gosling? And if they did try, would it have hurt him? Or are they replicant bees that sting humans but not replicants or non-replicant bees that don’t sting Ryan Goslings?
    #Bees
  • I saw that, but then why is Deckard the only person there, in an entire city?

Other clunky coincidences.

K wants to speak to someone about replicant memories. He visits someone who designs replicant memories. Turns out she's Deckard's daughter. How convenient.

Joi hires a prostitute so she can have "sex" with K. The prostitute she hires is the same prostitute who is working for the replicant underground. This enables the prostitute to plant a tracking device on K. How convenient
  • Are any of you aware that the scene at the beginning of 2049 where K visits the farm and retires Bautista is wholesale lifted from an early draft of the original BladeRunner screenplay but which was never filmed?
  • The Joi sex scene just about sums the film up for me. You get this weird, interesting situation with the two bodies intermingling. You've probably never seen anything like that on film before. But if you think about what you're watching it doesn't make much sense. And it's very hard to tell how much they've thought about whether or not it makes sense, and whether that's some of the point, or is it just a bit of a mess.
  • Yes, that's ultimately the problem with films that are designed to make you think. You're going to end up thinking about things that the filmmakers either didn't think about themselves, or didn't really have a satisfying explanation thought out for in the first place.
  • Who was the woman who directed the three prostitutes onto K in the first place? Was it Love? If so, then yes, it's massively contrived that one of them (the one that Gosling liked apparently) ended up being the person who could lead Gosling to the only people who could tie the whole thing together.
  • Re: prostitute. Don’t forget that joi was there (via his phone) when he was having a flirty time with her. The fact she went over was because of rebellion but the one who stayed out of the trio was the one he connected with. Joi has high ability to read and respond to goz desire.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Who was the woman who directed the three prostitutes onto K in the first place? Was it Love? If so, then yes, it's massively contrived that one of them (the one that Gosling liked apparently) ended up being the person who could lead Gosling to the only people who could tie the whole thing together.

No, it was the woman with one eye.
  • Re: prostitute. Don’t forget that joi was there (via his phone) when he was having a flirty time with her. The fact she went over was because of rebellion but the one who stayed out of the trio was the one he connected with. Joi has high ability to read and respond to goz desire.
    It's a stretch, but fair enough, let's assume that's the case.
    How did Joi then get in touch with this mysterious prostitute in a city of a million prostitutes?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    Who was the woman who directed the three prostitutes onto K in the first place? Was it Love? If so, then yes, it's massively contrived that one of them (the one that Gosling liked apparently) ended up being the person who could lead Gosling to the only people who could tie the whole thing together.
    No, it was the woman with one eye.
    Ok that gets a pass then, just about.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Re: prostitute. Don’t forget that joi was there (via his phone) when he was having a flirty time with her. The fact she went over was because of rebellion but the one who stayed out of the trio was the one he connected with. Joi has high ability to read and respond to goz desire.
    It's a stretch, but fair enough, let's assume that's the case.
    How did Joi then get in touch with this mysterious prostitute in a city of a million prostitutes?

The prostitute said to K something like ‘you know where to find me’.

From that point, it’s not impossible. If I really wanted to get in touch with someone who I knew hung around Leicester Square, I could probably do so without leaving the house.
  • I'm pretty confidant you're not just a hologram though...
  • Maybe some sort of online booking system?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I'm pretty confidant you're not just a hologram though...

You don’t know me!

But yes, it’s not that much of a stretch to think that a hologram may be able to access a vid phone and some sort of phone book through voice activation.
  • I couldn’t fathom why everything Joi does/experiences isn’t automatically going straight to the Wallace servers in the cloud. Surely their nubile AI companion product would also be their ultimate listening device.
  • Yeah I did wonder that. Especially as Luv is aware early on that he has the Joi device.
  • Let's talk about Gaff and his cameo.
    Again it's problematic, in the original theatrical version it's clearly stated that Deckard has never worked with Gaff before, doesn't know him prior to the events of BladeRunner, and has only seen him about at the police station, and Gaff was assigned to a completely different division and was nothing to do with BladeRunners prior to the events of the film.

When K interviews him in 2049, I'm pretty sure he contradicts all of this and talks about their working relationship as if they'd been partners for a long time (I'll concede I'd have to see this scene again though).

That's problematic enough, but if we go with The Final Cut, then Deckard is a replicant. For the 2049 plot wherein Deckard may have been placed in the world and engineered to meet Rachael, Gaff would have to be in on this, yet thirty years later, and long after the death of Tyrell, when asked about it he fails to mention any of this. Now it's possible that for whatever reason he might just stay on message, but it all just feels clumsy to me.
  • weadre wrote:
    Yeah I did wonder that. Especially as Luv is aware early on that he has the Joi device.

I mean – the writers were aware of that plot hole. They closed it with a bit of clunky dialogue from Joi about how K had to destroy her ‘base station’ in the apartment to stop anyone being able to read her data stored on it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Let's talk about Gaff and his cameo.
    Again it's problematic, in the original theatrical version it's clearly stated that Deckard has never worked with Gaff before, doesn't know him prior to the events of BladeRunner, and has only seen him about at the police station, and Gaff was assigned to a completely different division and was nothing to do with BladeRunners prior to the events of the film.

When K interviews him in 2049, I'm pretty sure he contradicts all of this and talks about their working relationship as if they'd been partners for a long time (I'll concede I'd have to see this scene again though).

That's problematic enough, but if we go with The Final Cut, then Deckard is a replicant. For the 2049 plot wherein Deckard may have been placed in the world and engineered to meet Rachael, Gaff would have to be in on this, yet thirty years later, and long after the death of Tyrell, when asked about it he fails to mention any of this. Now it's possible that for whatever reason he might just stay on message, but it all just feels clumsy to me.

Unless Gaff is also a replicant with false memories.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s the ultimate plot hole filler, that.
  • mind-blown.gif?w=700
  • G, I remember Ridley Scott mentioning the farm scene as an intro when the sequel was first announced a couple of years back although I think he's talking slight bollocks as I'm sure it was mentioned elsewhere a long time ago that it was a scene that was originally intended for the original.

Edit-just reread your post G, and realised I've basically repeated what you said.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Not sure it would have worked as well with a 13 year old Dave Bautista. No wonder he axed it from the original.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!