myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    New Soul Caliber announced, 2018 for ps4, Xbox one and steam.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Glad to see Soul Calibur's coming back. Wonder if it's a reboot of sorts? Pretty sure Mitsurugi looked older in the last game...
  • Yay! Last one I played was 4 I think which was a bit shit but I’m hoping this’ll be good. Mitsurugi so best.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Damnit Escape you beat me to it. Hype for SC! Please please go back to SC2 mechanics :)
  • Yes, Haak knows. SC2 was boss.
  • Guard Impact for dayyyys! Doubt we'll see SC2 mechanics though but you never know.

I need a Dampierre/Algol/Astaroth confirmation.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    Guard Impact for dayyyys! Doubt we'll see SC2 mechanics though but you never know. I need a Dampierre/Algol/Astaroth confirmation.

Curious, why do you think we want see a bit of a soft reboot to sc2 mechanics? I havent looked into it much, but it seems the most well regarded of the series. I skipped 3 and 4 but 5 was hugely disappointing from near every angle - design, controls, gameplay.
    SFV - reddave360
  • V was terrible.

IV was good, but just had a very dominant top tier.

III was terrible on consoles, and wasn't initially released in arcades, which killed any hope for it.

II just got everything right. Great roster, responsive controls, quick gameplay, really good Guard Impact system. It just refined everything that came before.
  • Ah, I think it must’ve been 3 I played and gave up on the series. It’s when they introduced that Altair lookalike. I think.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Dampierre/Algol/Astaroth confirmation.

Cervantes, Setsuka, and Raphael as General Zod (proper one). I'd be quite happy with a speeded-up version of IV.
  • Only ever played 1&2.
    Let's hope namco still knows what makes a soul's game a souls game (hint from/ namco, nudge wink).

I always liked the parry deflect ringout system. Let's hope namco doesn't fudge this one up.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Hope they drop the super move stuff. In fact, I think most games would be better without the Super Combo / Move.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I've got a steam code for Blazblue Chrono Phantasm Extend or something. Any takers?
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Hope they drop the super move stuff. In fact, I think most games would be better without the Super Combo / Move.

Absolutely, I hate meter-management. I wouldn't mind stuff like FADC being permanent (I like strong mechanics), I just don't like topsy-turvy meterwork based on old RPG conventions.

Tekken's Rage is one of the worst, because you can win a round with a lot less work than it took to activate it. There was a time in T6 when top players often weakened their juggles to avoid giving it away, trying to take that last bit of health to finish. As for its comeback potential, I had way more last-minute comebacks in T5: DR, where two juggles and a couple of pokes (or a wall) was enough to win with most characters.

It's common for one player to put the other into Rage with hardly a mark on them, for that player to return Rage with a juggle, and then for the first player to win with a stupidly mega-powered jab or something.

If you really must give away Supers to losing players, why not award them during the next round (if there is one)? At least then you'd get to finish a dominant round fair and square.
  • I dont mind meter management as such, I like EX type stuff. I find it can be a good way to limit a moves potency, but not completely nerf it out. The supers often feel too easy in so many games and since the advent of 3d, they generally are just cut scenes.

SF5 has some horrible ones which are so cheap - Akuma, Abigal and Urien spring to mind, basically creating an invincible wall which also will take half a bar if it hits. Stuff like Ryus super is less offensive, its still got the limits of a fireball. 

For Soul Calibur , the gameplay does look like we have some supers / rage stuff going on. Its a pity, the gameplay in two had more than enough to give you many options. I think in 5 the Gaurd impact was linked to meter which particualry sucked
    SFV - reddave360
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Soulcalibur IV came out a year before the home release of Street Fighter IV in 2008, so it's probably the last version that won't be heavily influenced by current 2D systems. It had a few annoyances and was definitely on the slow side, but I enjoyed it more than most folk.

I can't be doing with EX uppercuts and the like, where your unfamiliar opponent's largely unreadable willingness to burn meter creates a 50:50 out of thin air. If you predict an uppercut, that should be a read, rather than correctly predicting but pulling the reins on what you had in mind in case it's an EX. At this point I'd be checking their gauge and gambling.

We only get to see the resultant mindgames in tournament play, leading people to defend it. But without longish sets to get to know each opponent, it falls on its arse online. Games that work well in tournaments and games that work well online are very different beasts.
  • Escape wrote:
    Soulcalibur IV came out a year before the home release of Street Fighter IV in 2008, so it's probably the last version that won't be heavily influenced by current 2D systems. It had a few annoyances and was definitely on the slow side, but I enjoyed it more than most folk. I can't be doing with EX uppercuts and the like, where your unfamiliar opponent's largely unreadable willingness to burn meter creates a 50:50 out of thin air. If you predict an uppercut, that should be a read, rather than correctly predicting but pulling the reins on what you had in mind in case it's an EX. At this point I'd be checking their gauge and gambling. We only get to see the resultant mindgames in tournament play, leading people to defend it. But without longish sets to get to know each opponent, it falls on its arse online. Games that work well in tournaments and games that work well online are very different beasts.

Not sure I'd completely agree with the EX uppercut. IN SF5, your regular uppercut wont really work as a wake up move anymore so it may be a 50/50 game but its readable and its a risk for the player throwing out the EX. Lesser players can be very easily lured in throwing out an EX move on wake up, leading to loss of meter and eating a crush counter. Better players know to vary up the play. Granted it can lead you to a bit of a guessing game but thats in all these games surely. I feel the risk/reward part is ok in this respect.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I had Street Fighter IV in mind, where good play was regularly tied to how well you knew your opponents.

In high-level play you can sometimes dissuade jump-ins with the threat of a punish that you've little hope of executing, but good luck selling that to most randoms (and even pros can't threaten in V due to its input lag). Until online lag's been reduced to a two-frame max almost universally, it's like we need two editions of every game.

Back in Tekken 6 I scrubbed a few desperate round-wins with Lee's d+4s, a move that any pro would've pulled my trousers down for. It almost invariably worked as a panic button. Even against good players, the lag was often my friend. I always felt disappointed in myself for doing it, but I tended to lose for more intelligent play without its necessary partner. Which makes me pretty dumb, I suppose.

I still haven't played anyone but Rouj in Tekken 7, and that's a shame, 'cause I'm missing out on learning about loads of other characters. I guess because online was quite a new thing at the time, Dark Res seemed a lot friendlier in ranked, and the standard in the top thousand was quite good. I'll always have mixed feelings about Street Fighter IV, because it paved over that community, and I didn't really enjoy it after Vanilla.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Wow... Problem X made top 8 of Capcom Cup!
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996

• So this is a confirmed thing - A compilation of 12 games - Street Fighter 1 (why?) Serverel versions of SF2, all the alpha games (although it looks like Vanilla Alpha 3 and not the Max version which is a pity) and all versions of SF3. PS4 exclusive I think, Lobbies (I assume for all games) and promising Arcade perfect gameplay. Money for old rope, but what rope.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I’d buy it.
  • Worth it for 3S online on me 'puter without faffing with emulators no more.
  • It's not exclusive.

On PS4, Xbox One, Steam, and Switch.

SF1 is there because it's the 30th anniversary.

Only Hyper Fighting, Super Turbo, Alpha 3, and Third Strike will have online play which sucks, as Alpha 2 is the best Alpha game, and there's really no point including the first two SF III games, as they're just not well liked at all.

World Warrior, and Super are surplus to requirements too.

Would have preferred less games, but they all have online.
  • It's not exclusive. On PS4, Xbox One, Steam, and Switch. SF1 is there because it's the 30th anniversary. Only Hyper Fighting, Super Turbo, Alpha 3, and Third Strike will have online play which sucks, as Alpha 2 is the best Alpha game, and there's really no point including the first two SF III games, as they're just not well liked at all. World Warrior, and Super are surplus to requirements too. Would have preferred less games, but they all have online.

Cheers for clarification. I know Sf1 is there for the 30th anniversary but is anyone going to play it more, if even, once? I know, it's for the anthology aspect and all but still.  

I'd agree with less games but all online. I'm guessing a line up of Hyper, Super Turbo, Alpha 2 & 3 (I do like 3 more than 2 but 2 is more balanced) and Third Strike would have been less appealing but made more sense. 

Would be cool if there was a rainbow option - a DIY fuck with the rules mode that could allow all sorts of weird stuff albeit in a broken form.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Nice compilation of all the sf iterations and releases.
    SSF2 turbo and SF3 3rd strike alone are worth it, the rest is just gravy.
    Since these are just cps1,2 and 3 rereleases the whole compilation should fit easily on 1 dvd.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Hyper Fighting or Turbo are the best versions of II according to preference; Alpha 2 or 3; and everyone agrees on 3rd Strike (except for Sean mains). So yeah: those five with online play.

Trouble is, about seven people'll play Hyper Fighting for a fortnight, and that'll be that. I'd rather they admitted to V's failings and announced VI for Feb '19.
  • You leave V alone. It's about to get arcade mode. Only took 3 years.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Agree with everything Escape said. He knows. (Just don’t let him comment on Zelda.)

• New SFV Trailer dropped for those who care (granted, not many here). Season 3 brings back Sakura, Sagat, Blanka and Cody with 2 new characters in Falke (looks like a female Ed) and G (warped Uncle Sam). Sakura is up first and her trailer is in the tail end of the video.
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!