CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Really like the HBG in this game. Feels really satisfying unlike the disappointing Bow.
  • I'm struggled to enjoy this. It's really finicky and overly fussy. Controls are clunky and rubbish. They can't seem to be configured? Following the flies about is boring and hardly 'hunting'. I find it strange that they're there at all. I thought the game was about exploring and finding clues but the flies just show you the way to the monster?

There's too much shite to pick up and sift through. Stuff and icons all over the screen. Beta has put me right off. I won't be buying.
  • Talking of bows, fought Barroth online last night with two bow users.  Those pillocks spammed level 1 which was spreadshot, with both on each side of the monster.  Absolutely impossible to get an attack in.  I attacked one and disconnected, lol.

Pro users, do the monsters look like stop motion animations on it?  The lack of fluidity on the normal PS4 is pretty bad.  Makes 4U on my original 3DS XL look smooth.  Only Rathalos looks smooth on the PS4.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I'm struggled to enjoy this...

This is basically everyone's Monster Hunter journey - "WTF is this bollocks?" before it all clicks and you fall in love with it. The only question is whether or not you reach the second stage, and I get why people don't.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Cannot kill the fucker before the timer expires with a 4 man team. We've gotten him limping down into the caves but timer always pings.

I want to try planting barrels on him but with randoms fuck that.

Do you have to sneak round sleeping monsters? Or just don't attack them?
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Just don't attack them.  They'll wake up after a certain amount of time as well.  I only just managed him solo with the Horn, failed a few times but then started using the recitals for attacks more often and it seemed effective.  Would've been toast without the vigorwasp deliveries from D-Cat, as later cat-free attempts have proven.

Feel free to post a room key if you want a hand, I'll be on for an hour or so.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    I'm struggled to enjoy this...
    This is basically everyone's Monster Hunter journey - "WTF is this bollocks?" before it all clicks and you fall in love with it. The only question is whether or not you reach the second stage, and I get why people don't.

Gospel truth.

• Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Dubs wrote:
    Feel free to post a room key if you want a hand, I'll be on for an hour or so.
    Having breakfast right now, but can be online in a bit if needed

Insect Glaive solo in 5:34, some good dodge work in there.

I don't dare to try it solo, as it will make me feel weak.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'll be gun poking again about 7 ish gmt. Cheers all.
  • I want to love the game because I love the loot/grind/boss stuff like dark souls, but a lot of the design choices are clashing with my taste.

I shouldn't have to struggle to learn stuff. It should be fun.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I remember Dark Souls telling you everything you need to know immediately.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I'm struggled to enjoy this. It's really finicky and overly fussy. Controls are clunky and rubbish. They can't seem to be configured? Following the flies about is boring and hardly 'hunting'. I find it strange that they're there at all.I thought the game was about exploring and finding clues but the flies just show you the way to the monster?

There's too much shite to pick up and sift through. Stuff and icons all over the screen. Beta has put me right off. I won't be buying.
    I don't really think that's what the game's about. Other versions had you find the monster (preferable with a little help of the hot air balloon), tag it, and that way you could see if move around the map. Every monster has it's own path with a couple variations, so when you've fought one a few times you know where it will go.

The hunting is in learning the monster, know when to attack, anticipate roars, know when to heal, find the weak spot, know where to hit with your weapon of preference.

Controls are the same as in the previous games, and I think you might have different configurations. Maybe they removed that from the beta, I can't tell but I know there are different camera settings.
    What's the weapon you're using? Most weapons have two attack buttons (triangle and circle) and a dodge ( x), some add in the use of R2 (for charging). Bows need more buttons, since they need to change ammo.

For the icons, I think a couple of them are tutorial stuff, but I agree with that. 3DS games had al that on the second screen, and you could configure those. Might be the same for the main game, I don't know yet.
  • I remember Dark Souls telling you everything you need to know immediately.

That game did a stand up job of teaching you how to play it. You can't compare them!!

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The tutorial missions of the main game will do that.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Yeeessss mon.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    Talking of bows, fought Barroth online last night with two bow users.  Those pillocks spammed level 1 which was spreadshot, with both on each side of the monster.  Absolutely impossible to get an attack in.  I attacked one and disconnected, lol. Pro users, do the monsters look like stop motion animations on it?  The lack of fluidity on the normal PS4 is pretty bad.  Makes 4U on my original 3DS XL look smooth.  Only Rathalos looks smooth on the PS4.

I know what you mean - still looks weird on a Pro.  I'm pretending it's ok. 

However, I do remember when the series moved from Sony to Nintendo it was equally as disconcerting.  We were all used to FU on the PSP and I do remember having to adjust to life on the Wii.

It'll be fine.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Look at this doofus. It's his first MoHun.

• Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Are you Pro player using 'Prioritise Framerate', because i find the variable/unlocked fps really distracting?
  • The number crunching nutters are back.

Ayns, agree.  Although the 3rd gen had the best animated monsters of all.  Tri was initially weird for underwater (with slowest camera ever) and evading causing the camera to rotate a bit.  But compensated with god tier lance and long sword :-)

I'm struggling to understand just what the monsters are going to do here.  That will come in time but the lack of animation doesn't help.  Also there are strange hit boxes in this (same as 4U) - either my eyes are screwed or the game is.  Barroth's mud bombs in particular.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    It must be a transition thing (for you), because this game is a glorious step in the right direction! 

I initially found the environments a bit too bright/glaring, and "full", but like anything; once you get used to it, it becomes commonplace. 

I actually booted up MHXXS earlier as a benchmark and MHW is a MASSIVE leap forward, not just in fidelity but hit boxes and attack animations etc. 

Players like yourself who are born & bred on PSP Claw will take a little more time to adjust methinks.
  • Agree. I'm getting used to it much more now. Been hammering it this morning and my positive outlook may have something to do with just beating Nergigante.

Heck yeah.

Prioritise frame rate for me.
  • Agree Curtis, it’s all adjustment. However, you should compare the animtion (and some hitboxes) to a 3rd gen game not 4th as that’s when they started losing the nice animation and fluidity. Landscape is vastly superior in MHW, no question about that.

Controls are doing my muscle memory head in as well. I keep sheathing to sprint and them drawing my weapon again because the sprint is on another button and the ‘old’ sprint button now instantly draws. Which is lol’some.

Hopefully PC will rectify the animation because it won’t need to drop frames of animation (if that is what is hppening) but I have my doubts it will be that much different.

Overall this a definitely a MH game and has lots of improvements. It’s let down by some weird monster animation (special prize for the slimy fish thing for looking and acting like a plasticine stop motion animation at 10fps), and some ill fitting weapon hit sound effects.

The good thing is that multiplayer doesn’t seem to be any worse than single player so at leat it’s consistent unlike 4U which was awful online (on a not new 3ds).
  • Tell me about it. As a lance player, I initially kept sheathing my weapon instead of a beautifully timed block. Obviously, that didn't go too well! I'm sorted now though. Consider that FU took about 30 hours to master the controls and you'll be good.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    You can switch the function of R1 and R2 if that's the problem.  The first thing I do when loading it up is go into training and switch both sets of shoulder buttons, turn off auto-sheathe, switch the camera to Target Camera and large monsters only.
  • Dubs, it's because Spint and Block are on different buttons now but my brain is used to them being on the same.  So swapping R1/R2 (which I do) doesn't change that. It would be nice if they offered the same MH controls because there is no need no to.  I'll get used to it after the 30 hrs or so...

The first I do when loading is to turn the whiny American's voice down to 0.  Then I change the controls.

I still can't solo the 3rd monster so I have some practice to get in.  I might even try the auto lock on camera as manually using the right stick is too slow at the moment, and clawing isn't good on the DS4.

I've only seen Nergi on Twitch and Youtube and he looks well animated.  I suspect they are all playing on Pros but I'll try him later to see what it's like on mine.

Monster movement aside, it does look glorious on the plasma.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Ah right, yes I remember doing that when trying to play my horn in the first beta.  It'll click soon enough.
  • Just tried the lock on camera.  What a difference that makes.  Instead of having Anjanath biting me from off screen, or me seeing him from the side, I now get a clear view of what he's doing.  Just like clawing in the old days.

Still timed out when he was sleeping but I had killed Great Jagras first so I should be able to do him easily if I don't mess around first.

And realised I can change the armour.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Can't remember the actual armour combination off the top of my head but mix & match and you can get +4 ATK with the correct Charm. Use R2 to scroll and see your stats as you're equipping your gear. Looks ugly but gets the job done!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!