Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I quite enjoyed the beta. In when it's cheaper.
  • I don't even begin drafting OPs for anything less than a Recommended
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Recommended from who?
  • In this instance it was a goof based on the Eurogamer rating system, which includes: Recommended and, Essential
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    What if I was to recommend it? What's this Martin guy to you? He isn't even a Badger. Or a Bear for that matter.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm Martin Cypher Fox
  • So, let's have a look at Metal Gear: Soul Crusher now it's out in the wild.

Hmmmm, that doesn't sound so good. What does Joe think?

fuck that, I'm out

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm not touching this game, but surely anyone who calls themselves Angry Joe is probably doing a bit
  • Nah, Angry Joe is legit.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Like I watched that first one and it's also a guy doing an internet bit. If we are going to take this game to task (and all systems point to go there) let's at least get some non chuckle fuck videos on
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I prefer this IGN one that does why the game is shit in 3 mins

https://youtu.be/zGH-TJqnE30
  • Microtransactions right up the wazoo then...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Back on their bullshit
  • MGSV is why I'm not interested in Death Stranding. Along with Halo 3 and GTAIV it would have to be right up there with my biggest personal disappointments when it comes to games.

Sure, I played it a lot. 105 hours apparently. Best controls for stealth game ever, fantastic environment and some classic 80s tunes (rescue run to the chopper to the sound of Final Countdown). 
    There are some stupid limitations though.

Dead end creeks, poor map, and a path blocked off by logs necessitating a 30min reroute. When loaded up with several RPGs, grenades and legs capable of climibing over it. Oh, and inability to climb more than about 6 fixed points in the maps. Disarm the landmines mission 16. Ghost rock enemy cunts. No story payoff. 

Played like a damn fiddle.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • TBH that's precisely why I am interested in Death Stranding, because Konami can't fuck the game around endlessly. Sure, Koj still can, but at least it'll be more entertaining than sticking microtransactions in it and kicking it out the door half clothed.
  • Mgsv phantom pain is up there as some of the best gaming ever.

• @Tempy 
    That may be true, but I also found the trend towards bite-sized and/or discrete missions in MGS4 and Peace Walker a departure too far from what I most liked about 1-3. 

3 in particular had a phenomenal setting and coherency to the world. MGS4 had an incoherent world. Peace Walker had throwaway missions. MGSV had throwaway missions in an impressive (albeit poorly gated) world. 

I'm not sure the Kojima name carries as much weight any more (for my tastes).

@digi I'm not suggesting its a bad game, but it has some major issues that detract from it long term. It's like someone has cooked the most fantastic steak ever, only they left a few bits of nasty gristle in there and somewhere along the line a family of rats shat in the bernaise sauce.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • MGS4 was shite*. 

I like Peace Walker and V. Their form (small, discrete missions) matches their fiction (the narrative of building a collective force piece by piece). 

Just like 3's form (a contiguous world that allows you to feel like a covert operative)  matches its fiction (a knowing send up of lots of behind enemy lines/spy fiction).

*you could argue its form (broken, apropos of nothing missions, incoherent rambling cutscenes) matches its fiction (an incoherent wrap up of a story that its author never wanted to finish)
  • I think its all 'proof' that continuous stories in the same universe (as opposed to discrete stories within a mythology) tend to falter after part 3 and should be retired as soon as possible. Very few series can escape that death spiral. Resident Evil probably has come closer than any and recovered.
  • As per my complaints in the Last Jedi thread, the way a lot of people digest stories has changed, and it often leads to poorer fiction. The need to fill every gap and explain every mystery is pretty strong these days. I don't think the concept behind MGSV is a bad one really, but people still want more. The idea of Big Boss creating a proxy of himself who caries on his Legend Building for him, so he can covertly do work elsewhere didn't land with a lot of people. They still wanted a "why" to him turning bad.
  • Personally I think it was an unnecessary story. I dont think its bad or good, but it didnt need to be told. 

It's why I think the best Halo was 1. The lack of exposition, the mystery of the architecture, the existence of the flood and sentinels ... that allowed room for the imagination to fill in the gaps in far more interesting ways than we saw in the sequels, ARGs, novels or prequels. 

To use Star Wars as an example, we didnt need Ep 1-3. The mystery of Vader and his reputation in the OT are far more compelling.
  • Yeah I was in no rush for MGSV's story to be told but it's not the same as Ep 1-3, or Halo 2-X to me. I thought some of what V achieved was quite smart, but hampered by some really terrible decisions and restrictions. But I still enjoyed playing it, and would have enjoyed the story more if it was told better.
  • MGSV would work better as Mario Maker/User created missions. The story being entirely optional.
  • Dunno, I think it'd work better just being shorter, more inventive, no side missions, and finished. I did like 3 Side Ops before realising they were total junk, and giving up. Pretty much every open world game would be far, far better if it just cut all the cruft out.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's got the Angry Joe mark of reproachment.
  • Eurogamer are claiming a 6th place entry onto the chart as a flop.. Not sure whether that's strictly true or just an excuse for a story.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Top 5 being Fifa, Cod, Battlfraud, asscreed and kingdom come probably.
  • FIFA, GTA5, CoD:WW2 MHW, UFC3

Two out of five ain't bad.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I'm pretty certain it getting beaten by a month old game and then a bunch of pack ins, as well as only having 4k players on Steam, is pretty indicative of it being a bit of a flop.

This is pretty cool though (cheers Reg) 

DWxBBDxVMAAOIzI.jpg

The first letter of each unit surrounding the one you name spell out "KJP Forever".

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!