The fucking expert
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    mk64 wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    mk64 wrote:
    It depends on what and how you define expert.  Two people on here have said mario kart on the snes, yet in my circles they would be average (not even good or close to expert). But it is the game they consider themselves most expert. 
    Its very subjective isn't though? Me and mates couldn't afford anything other than one game a year (£60 a cartridge) so that's all we played all the time, 24/7/365. We discovered some great bugs in the game because we played it so much over and over again. Some of the bugs we couldn't repeat because they were compete random occurrences. You'd also start putting artificial rules in just to change it up. In co-op your mate picking your character or vice versa. Playing as a shrunken character. Not being allowed to use an items. Then they got more stupid, not being allowed to turn right. If you wanted to turn right you'd do a 360 left turn. Sounds stupid but was hilarious. That game was something else. I still remember when we broke the minute barrier on Mario Circuit 1 on 100cc. It was like Mansell and Senna at Monaco when Mansell had to come in for a tyre change due to a puncture. He was all over Senna but couldn't get past. Same with my mate, one of those races where I was attached to his rear bumper. We were so engaged that we didn't notice the time we got. When we did, we just sat there I'm disbelief. So many memories, good times.

I'm not sure it's subjective. They're expert, you'd play them on battlemode and you would lose 10-0. You'd play against them on match race or GP and you'd simply never ever win. I'm not sure you can call yourself an expert at a game when there's another "level" clearly demonstrable above you.

Dude, you've completely loss me (in nicest way possible). Who is they? ie "expert"

Anyone above 30 here

http://www.mariokart64.com/smk/afp.php
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • @mk64, I'm talking about a game i played as a young teenager at secondary school for fun. World Records for time trails, speedruns etc mean nothing to me. I have no interest in them for any game, i play for fun. We are clearly looking at the pint glass half full or half empty differently.

I'll stick with my assertion, following the topic of this thread that i was an expert on mario kart snes.

Interesting chat though. :)
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m with Dino.  This thread has to be about how you feel about your own skills rather than some nonsense about actual best in the world.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yeah, I'm not sure you need to be top 30 in the world to be an expert, that's more world class. Semantics admittedly. I'd say many on here are experts in some part of their life; Tempy's painting, Tin's healthcare advice, Larry's football write-ups etc.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    SongPop champ.

Hold the phone bro!
  • Stopharage wrote:
    Yeah, I'm not sure you need to be top 30 in the world to be an expert, that's more world class. Semantics admittedly. I'd say many on here are experts in some part of their life; Tempy's painting, Tin's healthcare advice, Larry's football write-ups etc.

But if he were to play against them unintentionally at that time he’d have been battered. So he was no expert. Just good at a game with his mates.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • You don't really seem to be grasping the term "expert" here mate.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I’m an expert at Tetris. Best in the world probs.
  • Gimme a few hours and I can be quite tremendous at Outrun 2.
  • g.man wrote:
    You don't really seem to be grasping the term "expert" here mate.

The kingdom of the blind still needs a champion despite the existence of BushwickBulletBill1983.
  • Ok then. I’m an expert at Mario Kart TTs but not world class.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    g.man wrote:

I believe it's the "fucking" expert I'm looking for
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I forgot I have a decent SF2 game, and I used to think I was good at SFIV before I went to smoky Akihabara Hey arcades. Street Fighter X Men I can crush at tho.
  • How come you never played SFIV with badgers? We played so regularly.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I have.
  • Wait, no one has mentioned Goldeneye yet. What is this thread I don't even.

Baaaaack in the days at Uni me and my mate Spanish Dan hyperbolic time chambered ourselves and became untouchable at Tekken 3, no one in halls came close, we literally were on a Goku and Vegeta tip to continue my weeb similie from the start of the sentence.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I was 13 when Goldeneye came out
  • I heard you made it?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Sure fucking did
  • Oh wait, I think i might have been an expert on burn out 2. I played it to death on both Xbox and ps2. I was able to get continuous burnout chains on most tracks so while I never checked my times or scores against online stuff, I reckon I could have been genuinely top level.

Good gawd, I miss that game
    SFV - reddave360
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    original.jpg
  • There’s an interesting interview with Graeme Norgate (he composed the music for Goldeneye, and other Rare stuff) on last week’s The Retro Hour podcast.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Kebabs! Fucking hell I forgot kebabs!
  • Roujin wrote:
    Wait, no one has mentioned Goldeneye yet. What is this thread I don't even.

Baaaaack in the days at Uni me and my mate Spanish Dan hyperbolic time chambered ourselves and became untouchable at Tekken 3, no one in halls came close, we literally were on a Goku and Vegeta tip to continue my weeb similie from the start of the sentence.

i thought of goldeneye but there were people i played with who were better than me. Unlike Mario Kart on Snes for which i am a fucking expert.

We played a shed load of pro evo on PlayStation 1 in our halls, however i couldnt say i was an expert on that.

I did complete Midnight Resistance and Bubble Bobble at the arcades on a single credit, but i think that's for a different thread.
  • Stopharage wrote:
    Yeah, I'm not sure you need to be top 30 in the world to be an expert, that's more world class. Semantics admittedly. I'd say many on here are experts in some part of their life; Tempy's painting, Tin's healthcare advice, Larry's football write-ups etc.

too kind, I'm scrub tier really

• I think pre online and without the excuses of lag etc, There were several multiplayer games which had even the casual player raising their game. Sf2 and goldeneye felt that way but the pro evo series from 2 to 6 on ps2 really seemed to produce a scene of great talent. At every house party or after work session there would be some version of PES running with a range of players hoping in and out. And whereas a sf2 or tekken would show up the god tier from the rest (you know which tier you were by who you were not allowed to pick) but everyone seemed to have at least a b+ level of PES ability.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I was king of bombjack in my local arcades growing up.
    Iv also completed loads of games on 'expert'.

• regmcfly wrote:
    g.man wrote:

I believe it's the "fucking" expert I'm looking for

Hi.

Fiancee says we have to play this when we make love.
    https://youtu.be/6dOwHzCHfgA
  • The thread title sounds like one of those incel help guides like The Game or the that weird live action thing that just came out.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!