52 Games in a year challenge: 2018
  • Stopharage wrote:
    32. Life is Strange: Before the Storm. Not quite as good as the original but a bloody decent effort. Whilst I loved the storyline and characterisation, I was occasionally frustrated at the lack of conversational options or similarity between the choices. 8/10.

Just started this myself. Halfway through the first episode but I'm in deep already.

GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I have the original Life Is Strange ready to play, but haven't started yet. It's not the sort of thing I'd usually like, and the demo didn't exactly convince me, but I feel I should give it a decent go after it turned up on plus a while back.
  • Aliens: Infestation on Nintendo DS

A very solid little metroidvania set in the Aliens universe.  Although it isn’t an all-time great game or anything, I had a really good time with it.  Think it might have been a combo of having never heard of such an Aliens game before and it only costing $6AUD at the local video game shop might have had something to do with it.

It’s only real gimmick is that your lives are represented by individual space marines, so if you die, that particular marine is gone forever.  You find further marines as you explore but can only have a maximum of 4 at a time.  Thankfully you get to keep all your gear even when you lose a marine, but it still sucks to see one of your favorites get killed off for good.  Can feel a bit hollow (in a good way) losing a couple of marines on a boss battle.  Pretty cool stuff.

Only problems are the boss fights are a bit rubbish, there’s a typically shithouse Nintendo DS touchscreen section, and there’s a ironic song over the end credits with lyrics about the aliens that is played in the style of one of those turn of the century rock bands, like Stained or Creed.  Very odd!
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Up to 34 with the slightly disappointing Monument Valley 2 and the short but endearing Burly Men at Sea.
  • 41 with Ultimate NES Remix.
  • 42 Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.
  • Updated with...

20. What Remains of Edith Finch
    Wow, what can I say? In about 4 hours delivers more genuine emotional complexity and depth than almost every other game I’ve ever played combined. Well, it’s not really a game in the traditional sense of the genre is it? But it is an experience, an interactive story that could only really be done in this medium. loved it - haunting and beautiful. 9/10.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • 43. Burly Men at Sea.  No review yet, only played through it twice so far so I've barely scratched the surface, but in it goes.
  • 35 with the relatively unique Knee Deep. Think it's still sub £4 on PSN and is a muddy, swamp-set, noirish tale of murder, suicide, cults, giant alligators, bloggers, Hollywood stars and pie. What makes it fairly unique is that it's presented like its a theatre show, with shifting stages and actors exiting stage right.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm up to 33. Not sure what to play next...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    YES MATE I DID!

Git it in a bundle where I already owned the other game, tactically saving a further 30p. So £2.31 or something.

Installed, not yet played. Have started R&C and some puzzle bollocks... Hope my PC is up to it when the time comes cos shinies.
  • 6. God of War (PS4)

Easily GotY for fat and in fact contender for GotG so far. Utterly brilliant.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Well of course it’s contender for GotG, it’s gonna go in my top tier (just outside top 5) for Top 100.
  • 45. Tearaway - Vita.  No review yet 'cos I've only just added the text for Burly Men at Sea, but I really liked it and could be tempted to go big with a [9].
  • Is it that good? I couldn't stand it on the PS4 and gave up. Was a PS+ freebie but is it a cross-play freebie?
  • It's a different game afaik, or maybe the PS4 one (Unfolded) is rejigged.  I deleted it pretty quickly on PS4, was far from impressed, but I actually reinstalled it this morning because the Vita game was so good.  Even the rear touch pad stuff was fine, never thought I'd type that.  Unfolded might be a case of perfect fit shoehorned elsewhere, but I'll try it again.
  • Definitely not cross-play but I don't remember paying for the Vita one either.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's a different game afaik, or maybe the PS4 one (Unfolded) is rejigged.  I deleted it pretty quickly on PS4, was far from impressed, but I actually reinstalled it this morning because the Vita game was so good.  Even the rear touch pad stuff was fine, never thought I'd type that.  Unfolded might be a case of perfect fit shoehorned elsewhere, but I'll try it again.
    It's not a different game, or not much of it anyway. Most of the levels are the same, but various bits have been fiddled with to fit in the dual shock functionality instead of the Vita stuff.

It's actually a good effort at remaking it for a different format and it's certainly not a lazy port. But in the end it just fits the Vita much better.

Edit: Also, not having a camera on PS4 is a fairly big loss, so if you do have one that could elevate it somewhat.
  • Ah, didn't realise it was a redo.  Yep, having a camera would help.  

Anyway, I'm up to 46 now - Neon Drive on PS4 done.  Avoid.
  • 46 - The Swapper (Vita)

No review yet, I hated it though.  I've got to admit it's a decent game but I've never played a puzzler that made me feel so fucking thick.  One of the rooms took me almost an hour to clear.  Great story great ending, but I struggled from the moment I got past the tutorial tier brain teasers.
  • 29: Dragon Age Origins Ultimate on Xbox

I chose to play this on Xbox rather than PC as I apparently am now too lazy to sit up and play with a mouse and keyboard.  It's very clunky to play on a gamepad and combat stops being entertaining about halfway though, when you're searching through layers of menus to use a spell rather than just pressing a button.  I chose to turn the difficulty down, though that had the knock on effect of negating the treasure hunting - who cares if your sword does 5 more damage when all the enemies fall before you within seconds.

It's also hideous to look at.  Everything's brown and character models are clippy and disproportionate.  Female dwarves look a bit like ET.  Everyone's hair looks like it's a Lego clip on.  Some of the monsters look okay but mostly they're no good either.  Ogres always look like they're about to burst into tears.  There's a bunch of female Satyr Pleasure Demons  who are naked except for tassels on their boobs, lol.  

BUT other than that it's a pretty well realised fantasy setting!  The story mostly makes sense which is impressive given how many variables there are in place with your character alone.  Some bits are better written than others and sometimes characters act a bit madly, but on the whole it's quite well put together.

Really loved the game back when it first came out.  Been interesting to see how my tastes have changed over that time.  I always like playing as the ultimate good guy, and nothing's changed there, but I have less time for taking shit from NPC's.  Oh, you want to ask the pretty elf out on a date, but can't work up the courage?  Well that's too bad but I'm busy trying to save the world mate, go bug someone else.  

Didn't mind this play through, but am in no hurry to play it again.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Needed a bit of a catch up here.  Added the below to the OP.
    20. EA SPORTS Rory McIlroy PGA Tour
    12th July 2015 - 15th May 2018
    Prompted by its imminent removal from the EA Vault, I thought I'd batter through and finish this.  I finished the season, won all majors, completed all Night Club challenges.  This never felt like a creditable replacement for Shagger Woods, light on content at launch and further content never really arrived so the franchise feels dead in the water right now.  Technically a competent golf game, just light on soul or character. 6

21. Final Fight: Double Impact
    19th May 2018 - 30th May 2018
    A double header of arcade classics Final Fight and Magic Sword.  As with Golden Axe, stuff like this evokes rose tinted memories but the reality is it all dates terribly.  Final Fight was always an iconic title for me and whilst it plays better than Golden Axe it still is a clunky old pile of jank.  Magic Sword I'd never played before but its mechanics held a little interest, being able to rescue AI buddies to fight alongside and the ability to skip floors seem to add an extra layer of thinking over other arcade games of that era. 4

22. State of Decay 2
    22nd May 2018 - 9th June 2018
    I enjoyed this, for me it addressed mostly the issues I had with the first game and added a few new tricks of its own.  I was highly critical of the dismissive Eurogamer review which I felt focused far too much on its rough edges rather than the quality within.  The sense of peril had increased over the first, and having to manage yourself and the community felt better realised, resources still felt plentiful but attaining them was more risky than previously.  Vehicles are now scarcer and nursing them more crucial, with them now requiring fuel too.  The co-op hasn't really taken off as this probably wasn't as well realised as it could be so again its strength is in the solo campaign.  This offers multiple playthroughs as you can elect different leaders which provide a unique set of missions to that leader and with three maps available you are able to resettle a community for another run.  For me a very good, under-rated game, not without its flaws but much to admire. 8

23. Life is Strange: Before the Storm
    12th June 2018 - 27th June 2018
    The prequel to what is one of my favourite games, this time in the hands of Deck Nine Games.  It was great to be back in Arcadia Bay, this time playing as Chloe Price as you befriend Rachel Amber, the missing friend from the first game.  This was a more conventional, straight forward story compared to LiS, with less fantastical elements and drama.  It was interesting to explore Chloe and Rachel's relationship however so the shift in tone didn't adversely affect the game.  This was very touching in parts and the quality of the storytelling drew me in emotionally so I took care in the conversation choices and actions.  It didn't hit the heights of LiS but this almost felt standalone to the first game so maybe it is unfair to draw too many comparisons.  A very good game overall and I look forward to another chapter in the Life is Strange world. 8.5

24. ABZÛ
    1st July 2018 - 3rd July 2018
    A walking simulator in the water?  A swimulator?  Whatever you call it, this was a pleasant water based experience with an ecological bent.  Not much to go on storywise, you play a character with flippers with the main aim of restoring marine life to various areas that seem to have succumbed to a form of alien industry.  The swimming is the star here, and the freedom of movement it affords.  The ability to observe and swim with all manner of marine life is another treat; sharks, turtles, whales, and a decent orchestral score all add to the brief experience. 7.5

25. Unmechanical: Extended
    4th July 2018 - 7th July 2018
    A short little indie puzzler, you play a hovering robot sucked into the underworld.  You must travel through a labyrinth of puzzle lite rooms in the quest to find your freedom.  Not overly taxing in its story or puzzling, this was a fairly basic experience, neither exciting or long enough to become dull, but pleasant enough with just enough charm to carry it through. 6.5

26. Absolute Drift: Zen Edition
    8th July 2018 - 15th July 2018
    A Unity based minimalist game based on that least liked aspect of car culture, drifting?  OK I'll give it a go then.  Quite a decent little game all told, the graphical look is stark and clean and sits with the Japanese, zen like pitch.  The game has a top down, three quarter view, and offers various drifting disciplines; drift circuits, point to point tracks, driftkhana and free roam.  The drifting is easy to pick up but tricky to master, a multiplier ticks over and rewards you with the bigger scores if managed well.  The satisfaction of nailing a long drift is great as is the frustration of binning a decent run, thankfully the game has an instant restart button that gets you straight back into the action.  I really enjoyed the electronic soundtrack, the drum and bass tracks in particular lent themselves to the theme, overall a very good game to chill to and zone into score chasing. 7.5

Up to 26 now, which means I'm probably rounding on last year's total already.  Bodes well, but unless I channel my inner Moot/Muzzy, I think 52 will be a stretch.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I enjoyed what I played of Absolute Zen but I was starting to feel a bit rubbish at it, so I stopped.  Might go back to it as I'd almost forgotten about it.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I picked it up because I like the visual style and it was an interesting concept. Am utterly lousy at it though.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Likewise.
  • Still extremely slow going for me, but I’m doing well picking good games. Demon’s and GoW are now among my all time best and in my top tier of Top 100. Hollow Knight may follow suit. And BotW will hopefully be completed this year too!
  • @Moot - Yeah don't watch the leader replays then, leet drifting on show. I aced all the challenges but some required I switch to manual gears to pass, definitely the key to mastering the game but more to deal with.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!