Spider-Man
  • Kow wrote:
    It's a game to run through the story on. Most of the extra stuff like swinging through toxic clouds, catching pigeons and the black cat thing is no fun at all. I enjoyed the game but I'm glad I went through it fast and sold it off. No interest in dlc.

I really enjoyed the side stuff, bar the drone and bomb challenges.
  • Those challenges are fine once you've got the movement down.
  • Some of the side stuff is ok. It's mostly filler, the sort of busy work I can't stand in most AAA games. But when you're enjoying a game and don't want it to end, it's better than it not being there. 

Not too sure about any sequel to this. I'll buy it and play it, but it seems like they've got the core of the game nailed down already and all they can do at this stage is add bloat. 

E.g. there will be spider-bot missions, more controllable characters and (end of story mode spoiler)
    Spoiler:
  • I enjoy the race challenges. You guys need to git gud.

Regarding the sequel:
    Spoiler:
  • AJ wrote:
    git gud
    I put in as much time as I'm prepared to on those taskmaster race things.

It's fine if there's some tough as nails bits for people who are actually good at computer games. They stuck out like a sore thumb though as none of the rest of the game is like that. It mostly gets easier the longer you play it.
  • I suck at computer games and/or can't be bothered to practice them - I can't stand Dark Souls for this reason - I'm just really enjoy and am good at Spider-Man-ing. If I wasn't I'd probably feel the same.

I agree that the difficulty of those bits is higher than a lot of the rest of the game, but I also want a mode where they take all (most) of the training wheels off the movement.
  • I would go for that as well now probably (as long as you don’t have to get anywhere quickly). They did a great job at revamping Ps2 Spider-man. Just not sure how much mileage there is in unlimited sequels on similar mechanics.
  • Oh, I'd say plenty considering the number of other games that succeed churning out endless iterations of the same mechanics. There's certainly enough depth, in my opinion, to round out a nice trilogy without it feeling tired.

Hell, I'd probably buy an add-on for this game that was just challenges and bases, though.
  • Genuine question - can Spider-man drive a car in this?
  • No, but you can throw bins at them.
  • trippy wrote:
    Genuine question - can Spider-man drive a car in this?

No, Peter Parker doesn't have a driving license.

This is actually covered in the game.
  • Does anyone have a copy of this they’d be willing to part with for like...£20? I want to get it for Ev for Xmas but I am a bit broke.
  • Might be worth asking elsewhere, those willing to get rid of it may not check this thread.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's £30 on Amazon, I'll happily pay £15 for a go after you temps, or are you looking to good on it? Or can we get a third person for a tenner each a la SotTR?
  • It’s not much of a present with a termination date, ha
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ah sorry misread lol
  • Managed an hour before work. Very very early impressions.

The combat.... Jeez. I dunno. Please don't end up like Arkham, please.

Otherwise, very good. Traversal is as brilliant as expected.
  • Wanted to play this finally last night, when i had a free hour. Unfortunately modern gaming, it had a 18gb download that took an hour. sigh. Left it downloading, hopefully will get an hour ornso in next few days to have a go.
  • I feel the comparisons with Arkham combat are lazy. It's no more like it than it is like the combat in Spider-Man 2.
  • !?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I was gonna type that it feels like I'm playing an uprezzed PS2 Spiderman 2 but felt that was lazy!
  • There is a hell of a lot of inspiration from Spider-Man 2 across the whole thing. It could easily be seen as one of those spiritual successor things that seem popular at the moment.
  • Yeah, and I'll be very happy with that. Loved that game.

Should get a good chance to properly cane this tonight. Looking forward to it.
  • AJ wrote:
    I feel the comparisons with Arkham combat are lazy. It's no more like it than it is like the combat in Spider-Man 2.
    It’s very very similar to Arkham. Arkham did resemble Spidey 2 anyway so it’s not an either or thing. From enemy types to combos needed to counteract those enemies to gadgets and movement, it’s batman.

It’s not a lazy copy though. It adds aerial stuff and makes it a bit more arcadey and fast flowing and better (imo).
  • It’s similar to Arkham in the way that all third person shooters are similar to resi 4. Sometimes an innovation comes along that redefined gaming until something else comes along
    The Forum Herald™
  • I thought the big things about Arkham combat were that pressing the hit button would cause Bats to flip across the screen to make sure it connects with someone and that dodge was also hit. Maybe hitting the dodge button multiple times in order to differ multiple enemies, if you stretch. Am I mistaken here?
  • Arkham I think gets the credit and the name for nailing the concept...POP: Sands of Time had similar flowing combat before it, but not as slick or well executed.

Having had a brief ish go at Spiderman, i'm finding the combat a little more manic and 'stretched' than batman, prob cos of more enemies with ranged weapons etc. So you need to learn more different moves to use at the right time rather than just rely on punch and counter. Not sure i like it as much as the purer arkham, but it's still early. The swinging and navigating the city is good fun though.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!