General VR and AR chinwag
  • So yeah, VR Regatta might be my favourite VR game yet. 

It's so immersive and I can't quite figure out why, but I'll try. 

For a start it's beautiful, especially in the moonlight or sunset, but it's more than that. I think it's because cockpit type VR games work the best, and in this you get such an open view. Sitting on the floor feels very natural but it's equally good on the sofa sitting to one side. 

Also I think the mechanics really work well and it helps. Using the Vive controllers (that appear ingame) there's only the tiller at the back of the boat to steer along with leaning forward or back (you sit at the side of the boat like in the olympics) and with the other hand you tighten or loosen the sail, and that's it. But it feels really natural and when you catch the wind just right it's a lovely feeling when you pick up speed. 

The sound is fine, but it doean't need much. Perhaps it's the lack of sound that's compelling. You hear background birds and waves, and when you're going fast the wind noise adds a lot, but there's not much else apart from maybe insects at night. It's the quietness though that's so appealing. You can sail far out in the sunset and the sound of the birds fades as you move away from the shore and when the wind dies down, especially if it's calm, there's only the slight noise of the boat creaking. It's extremely relaxing and the water looks just lovely. 

I'll probably bang about the game a bit more at some point because I'm in love with it. 

Here's a man playing through it.

"Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Same guy doing Shadow Legend. Interesting use of voice recognition and the hand on fire bit (around 12.00) is great. 

• There’s some VR stuff going on around Glasgow Short Film Festival. Some of it’s being hosted by my pals at Iso, some of it at the CCA. Free but ticketed, I think.

https://glasgowfilm.org/glasgow-short-film-festival/search-results?q=unrealities

I think it includes a chance to see (experience?) Iso’s own Siren Songs piece, which is the best bit of VR art I’ve seen to date.
  • In.
  • Sounds like Sea of Thieves would be good in VR.

Port to PlayStation please Microsoft.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Starboard to Steam?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Sounds like Sea of Thieves would be good in VR.

Port to PlayStation please Microsoft.

I’ve read somewhere that Rare tried but the seas are mostly choppy and downright fierce through storms making most voyages nauseating.
    Sitting close to a 55” 4K HDR OLED with a headset gives a ‘being there’ experience but still wonder what a VR version would do to my noodle :D

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Bah, everyone can overcome VR sea legs.
  • In.

Sling me your email address and I’ll forward you the email I got full of details. I quite fancy the artist chat at CCA on Saturday afternoon.
  • Just seen this. I'll text you it.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    poprock wrote:

Weird. The perspective out of the train window in the demo is bad. The Y axis is not set to my liking either.
  • "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Good to see PC confirmed. That'll look purdy..
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • I bought NMS on the cheap when it was on sale too. I'll play the hell out of it in VR.
  • NMS looks like the real deal these days, it's very nice looking in places too.  I know a non gamer* who plays it quite regularly and absolutely loves it.  Shame it's not my sort of thing, I can see VR really adding to it. 

*Just Pro Evo/Fifa, Bioshock up to the final boss and a bit of Portal since I've known him.
  • *Ah, the fat sarcastic Star Trek fan. He's a devil with the ladies.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Not him, think giant Arsenal steward.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Out of interest what is the state of play for PC VR? Is new tech coming out this year? Are we finally doing away with being wired to the PC? I'm assuming HTC is still the way to go?
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Oculus are pushing into inside out tracking (cameras on the headsets) at a more affordable level (£400) with their recently announced Rift S so you only need to have one cable plugged into your pc. They are also putting out a completely wire free all in one jobbie soon as well, the Quest. A guffed up mobile phone with cameras on your headset affair. If Facebook throw a lot of money at that it might do something but it's not a pc thing really.  
    Here's a wrestler getting all excited about it.. 

Viva are making a lot of expensive Enterprise grade stuff for corporates to demo stuff on god tier pcs to go with their trusty old Vive stuff. They are also looking at getting some inside out tracking headsets into the market as well. Not seen as much of them over on this side of the world yet but they're also pushed at fairly specific enterprise markets. The big Vive news I'd maybe say for now is that they should be also releasing their fancy dancy new controllers that have nice looking finger recognition and stuff. 

Valve may be still doing something but no-one knows anything about whether it'll come out or what shape it may be if it does. 

If I was looking at it for now I'd hold fire for maybe 6 months and see if Valve will ever announce their kit. Rumours have suggested it'll be nice.
  • Oculus are focusing on wireless with Quest and Go. They are the leaders for wireless with Cormack at the helm.

HTC are slow, bringing out small incremental upgrades to the Vive brand at high cost.

Pimax looks promising with good resolution and massive fov.

Valve are working on their own, having stating how jealous they've always been if Nintendo's ability to develop software alongside hardware for amaze experiences. Rumour is they'll release Uber headset alongside a game. They're also about to release the Knuckles controllers.

Windows headsets are being made by all, are cheap and are increasingly good. These have seen the best price/quality ratio and you can get a better than Vive Pro one for a third of the price.

Inside out tracking - 6dof without the need for external sensors is gaining favour and apparently it's quite good. The Vive base stations are still the best and are licenced by Valve to all. This means you can use them on different headsets and are becoming a standard. Presumably though, it'll get replaced with inside out tracking when it becomes good enough.

Controllers can be swapped and changed around to a large extent. Windows/Pimax headsets can use Vive wands or bespoke controllers if supported. In this way it's becoming quite open source, as PC should be. You can play games on different headsets as differing controllers are supported.

Generally, fov and resolution are getting slowly better, but often waiting for gfx cards to catch up. New tech like eye tracking is overcoming this as the resolution only needs to render high at the bit you're looking at. Generally, required graphical power should slowly decrease even though resolution and fov are increasing.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cheers guys. I'm getting a new gaming laptop that will be VR ready. What's your experience of hooking up a headset and moving around? I obviously don't want expensive kit flying off the coffee table!
  • [justify]Should be fine. Some of the best experiences are cockpit anyway, but if you go full roomsacale it can be wonderful in games like Budget Cuts. You're going to need some space if you do this and basestations. Like all PC stuff the temptration is to wait just that bit longer for better/cheaper, but as isanbard suggests I'd wait a bit and see what Valve announce, although christ knows when this will be. [/justify]

[justify]If you've got cash to splash you could go with a basic headset for now like a Rift or Samsung Odyssey, but mainly I'd wait. Cheap second hand ones are a good option.[/justify]
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Or potentially see how the Rift S reviews when it comes out. I see the temptation of an all in one solution with no external basestations or sensors to be potentially pretty handy if you're maybe moving about with a lappy? Even from room to room in a house or summat. 

All the others really for now need a fair degree of arseache to setup and break down.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cheers SG and thanks for that video DAQ, that is exactly what I think VR needs to be (without the excited wrestler).

Think I'll at least wait until E3.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Having used a Pimax 5k, Vive Pro with wireless and Rift plus Magic Leap and Hololens (Hololens 2 in the post so to speak, as are some Quests) I don't really know which one I like most.

Doom VR with the wireless pro is hella fun though
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Have you tried pimax with ED?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Not yet, we do have it though, might try later this week. Tethered though, eugh
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • I know, but at least you're sitting.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Mm, I like running about knees bent

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!