Retro Gaming
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just checked - seems like it is. I had my Wii softmodded using the Letterbomb Hack to play some home brew MK tracks but I deleted it all. It was easy to do - must get it installed again.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Thanks all...having gone through a phase of buying up games with an intention to work through them I never got round to it - figure if I don’t now I never will!

May be back in touch about modding in the future...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tried to re-install the Homebrew channel and it doesn't work - probably because there is still a track of the softmod on the system.

The Letterbomb hack doesn't work - no message appears to click on and the browser method hangs at 99%  

:(

Could just get a pre-owned one for £20 if I really want to I suppose.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    While messing about with the Wii I decided it was high time I played some games from the tower of shame.

Played Mario Tennis : New Control Scheme.

I picked this up for buttons on a whim and then cringed when I read reviews about it criticising the control scheme. Well - after playing it - I have no idea what the moans were about.

The original GC game used to get similar ciriticism but that was because the default setting is automatic which makes it a barely controlled demo game for young kids. Set the option to technical in the GC game and you have a great tennis game. You can also turn off the power shots in multiplayer to just have a solid game of tennis without any gimmicks. You can also set the scheme for each player which is a great leveller.

Well it seems to be the same case with the Wii version. The default is auto which I didn't even try. Just set it to technical. There is also a manual mode with means you have to press a button to lunge.

I found the controls just fine. It's all about timing. Now I am no waggle fan but this is a fun game even though there is no traditional control option on offer. I'm surprised they didn't include it though. I'm also surprised they didn't add in M+ either but at the end of the day it doesn't really need it given the target audience - this is an out-and-out family casual game.  I have the GC game and Virtua Tennis for trad controls so it's no big deal for me. However I wouldn't be surprised if the control scheme has hidden nuances. You can add nunchuck to replace the auto positioning (and you can just use the dpad without it which leaves auto position on and overridable with the dpad).

It looks like another case of poor reviewing. It's an arcade style tennis game and I don't think the scheme is as good as the GC game but it's still perfectly playable. I just breezed through the first tournament even with teething problems I had with my timing. I think the CPU has been been toned down a bit because I remember there being a step up in the 2nd tournament which I haven't noticed.

If you fancy a waggle tennis game that gives more than Wii Sports then go for this. It's the usual solid polished offering. The graphics haven't noticeably been improved apart from widescreen support but then the game looks nice on GC anyhow given the styling.
  • davyK wrote:
    I picked this up for buttons on a whim and then cringed when I read reviews about it criticising the control scheme.

That seemed to be an unfair assumption regarding Wii games back in the day imo, I'm not saying they were always great but quite often they were perfectly playable.

The reviews seemed to resent (not sure that's the best word to use) the fact they added nothing to the experience and instead just replaced a simple button press. I can understand why that's a negative in itself but it didn't necessarily break the game. I always felt a lot of good games got a bad reputation because of that.

Personally I played the PS3 a lot more than the Wii because of laziness, something I'm now experiencing again with PSVR.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. The GC game probably sold well enough but deserved a bigger audience. The N64 original is still a great game and the GC game was essentially a makeover with the power shots added. The problem with building a really good game is justifying a next gen version.  Both the GC and Wii versions would have copped a lot criticism because the original game really didn't need anything new added to it.

Re the waggle - a lot of 3rd party stuff was dross but Nintendo's own output used the controller pretty well. Camelot did the Tennis game though so it seems they were able to make the most of it too.

I played on a bit and beat the 2nd cup after losing once so it's definitely easier than the GC game. But it steps up in the next cup - got my arse handed to me in the first round.

I restarted playing Mario Galaxy 2 last night. I abandoned it years ago after 20-odd shines because I was bloated after playing MG1 to get all 120 shines and had even made some inroads on a 2nd run as Luigi.

Still a superb game. I need to finish it really.

Also went back to Asteroids Dx after leaving it for a couple of weeks. You really need to keep at this game to maintain a modicum of skill. Got just shy of 40K though after several games.
  • Found my PSP in a drawer the other day so plugged it in to see if it still worked and if I had access to games I had before cancelling the PS subscription.  

Was doing ok for a wee while until the battery popped right out of the back of the machine. Apparently charging the battery after 5 or so years of no activity wasn't appreciated and it swelled up and pushed through the cover and out.

Replacement looks to be about £20 or so which isnt much but not sure that I'll bother. I didn't have much of a collection for it.  Pity though.  I always liked the look of Sony's handhelds but they never took off.
  • Vita is arguably the best handheld of all time.

Only thing that might be better is the GBA.
  • Yeah I've had to replace my PSP battery twice over the years. Once the latest one died I just left it. Had a blast with CFW on it though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The whole PSP/Vita thing is very confusing.

Those little discs - the UMDs? DO they work with all of the versions?

There are a couple of games I always liked the look of - Ultimate Ghosts & Goblins being one. There are some shmups collections too such as Parodius I'd fancy playing on a handheld.
  • Vita is arguably the best handheld of all time.

Really? They're lovely bits of kit but I'm not sure it gets the nod over any of Nintendo's. I never owned one though so maybe the library is a lot better than it is in my head. I'm not very interested in big 3d titles on handhelds either, which may sway my thinking.
  • I'd put the PSP on a par with the DS just behind the OG GB, 3DS is my favourite.

Vita and GBA didn't do it for me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I just broke my DS out again recently. Been tempted to hunt down a copy of Chronotrigger or FF6 (GBA).
  • davyK wrote:
    The whole PSP/Vita thing is very confusing. Those little discs - the UMDs? DO they work with all of the versions? There are a couple of games I always liked the look of - Ultimate Ghosts & Goblins being one. There are some shmups collections too such as Parodius I'd fancy playing on a handheld.

PSP Go is the only PSP that doesn't have a disc drive. Vita had it's own system but digital PSP games are backwards compatible.

If you do get a PSP, I really recommend softmodding it. The disc drive keeps a very loud noise and I believe the loading times are also shorter if playing a ripped game from a memory card.
  • davyK wrote:
    The whole PSP/Vita thing is very confusing.

Those little discs - the UMDs? DO they work with all of the versions?
    UMDs were the format for PSP. They work on all PSP models except the PSP Go, which was download only.

The Vita is a different machine. The games come on PS Vita game cards.

They're lovely bits of kit but I'm not sure it gets the nod over any of Nintendo's.
    Nintendo’s handhelds are fine for the games, but the designs are awful. The only comfortable DS was the launch one, which looks cheap. The touch screen across all models does not cope well in the hands of many owners. The launch GBA was a decent thing to hold, but the screen is awful. The SPs looked nice but caused cramp.
  • I've never put a game card in my Vita but it's an absolutely stonking handheld for indie games.  Wouldn't want to choose between 3DS or Vita in a head to head.  

GBA was king for me (was my first non LCD handheld too), definitely wasn't fussed with the DS/PSP gen. I had a DS lite, but it was a bit of a waste of money for me.  Have since played a couple of DS gems I'd missed on 3DS, but at the time and with hindsight it's not a device that floats my boat.  Same with PSP actually - Ghosts 'n Goblins is the only game I've played fully iirc, and I didn't get round to that until last year.  

All in for any future handhelds now though.
  • The PSP was a fucking revelation when it first came out. Felt like it dropped from the future. The design and finish of it was light years ahead of any other gaming system – it felt grown-up in away that nothing else had. More like a piece of high-end audio kit than a games machine. And that screen! It looked glossier than anything else out there and super-bright.

The games were alright too. Ridge Racer first, replaced by Wipeout once that arrived … and Lumines played great too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ah. So PSP and Vita are different machines.

The Vita probably looks the better choice. Collecting and all that. Ickle cards.#

The only games I've ever fancied have been PSP games though and no doubt they didn't all make the jump to Vita.  Sigh.

My daughters had DS-Lites and I found them just fine to use though I tended to play the touch screen games with them. Had a real thing for Touchmaster at one time.
  • Oh man, the PSP launch. Console w/Lumines, Virtua Tennis, Ridge Racer & Wipeout. Kanye West's Late Registration on the memory stick. 6 buses a day to college.

The best of times.
  • I grey imported. There was no Wipeout at launch, so I actually played Ridge Racer for a while.
  • Ultimate G'nG is good.  Requires quite a lot of time before it all starts to unravel though, it's not a straight all levels + all bosses x2 thing.  Probably the best in the series if push came to shove.
  • Castlevania The Dracula Chronicles and Outrun 2 are my picks for favourite PSP games.

There was some nice collections on there too, the Gradius one being the one I played the most of.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Ultimate GnG was never made available as a digital title on PSN, so can't get it on Vita without modding it.

Dracula X Chronicles is great.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I bought my nephew Ultimatre GnG and Outrun 2 when he got a PSP for Christmas many moons ago. That's why I've always had a hankering for it.
  • Sounds like you bought him the best two games on it, good work.
  • Yeah Coast 2 Coast really shone on that screen. Amazing game.
  • I always think of you when I read anything about Coast 2 Coast.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This is your alert that SGDQ is on right now.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Sounds like you bought him the best two games on it, good work.

Ahem, Monster Hunter.
  • Excuse me I think we all know GTA Liberty City Stories is not only the best PSP game but actually the best game full stop.

x

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!